Super Contributor

Thank you to the individual who posted the easier way to replace cords, take the board completely off the machine . Wonderful, made it infinitely easier. LOL

Second, they need to mark the cords on where to tie the knot. I tried three times with one particular cord and it is still much tighter than the other reds. I wonder how much of a difference this will make to cord longevity and to my workout overall.

Which now makes me wonder just how do you track your progress when there isn't a standard to measure against.

Further I have never heard anything about replacing the cords during any of the shows, why not? Elastic stretches and breaks over time. I was surprised by the condition of a few of the cords when I removed the board from the machine. How do you know you are even progressing if it is the cord that is actually fraying so the movement is easier?

With weight training you can track how much you are lifting this month versus last month. How far and how fast did I run on my treadmill? How many pushup am I able to do? I can raise or lower my total gym to change resistance. How do you measure/track pilates with some accuracy with respect to the cords? Just asking.

Honored Contributor

I would track by inches lost in certain areas. You could also track "stamina" by length of time on the rebounder, number of reps, etc.

Super Contributor

You really can't track progress in the same way you can in the gym -- certainly not with any accuracy -- due to the issues you mentioned. I don't really think it's necessary to track anything with Pilates. Just go by how it feels to you and how you look. If it's too light, increase the resistance. As far as appearance, you will never look like you can working with weights in the gym, so changes in terms of muscularity and tone will be much more subtle with Pilates. You can make Pilates most effective IMO by mixing it up -- do different movements on different days. Do higher reps vs. fewer reps. Do the movements faster, do them slower. By doing this, your body won't fall into a repetitive routine of doing the same thing each time and stagnating. Also by mixing it up, you will hit the muscles in different ways.

I have one of the older models sold on Q. The problem I have with the machine is not frayed cords, but the rubber cylinders that cover the handles are being sliced into by the cord. Also, the bench is no longer moving smoothly on the frame. It gets hung up on the frame. I called Stamina and they suggested a silicone spray which I have to spray on the frame after every few workouts, but it looks like I will need a new machine altogether.

Super Contributor
On 9/20/2014 focksie said:

You really can't track progress in the same way you can in the gym -- certainly not with any accuracy -- due to the issues you mentioned. I don't really think it's necessary to track anything with Pilates. Just go by how it feels to you and how you look. If it's too light, increase the resistance. As far as appearance, you will never look like you can working with weights in the gym, so changes in terms of muscularity and tone will be much more subtle with Pilates. You can make Pilates most effective IMO by mixing it up -- do different movements on different days. Do higher reps vs. fewer reps. Do the movements faster, do them slower. By doing this, your body won't fall into a repetitive routine of doing the same thing each time and stagnating. Also by mixing it up, you will hit the muscles in different ways.

I have one of the older models sold on Q. The problem I have with the machine is not frayed cords, but the rubber cylinders that cover the handles are being sliced into by the cord. Also, the bench is no longer moving smoothly on the frame. It gets hung up on the frame. I called Stamina and they suggested a silicone spray which I have to spray on the frame after every few workouts, but it looks like I will need a new machine altogether.

If you are referring to the long cord you use for leg circles, as an example, try the sheepskin seat belt covers. They are Velcro and the newer models have this kind of cover
instead of rubber. I noticed this similarity while cleaning my machine. Available on amazon prime. LOL {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I agree with both of your suggestions. I run and lift weights. I guess it just occurred to me after seeing the state of my cords. The first time I replaced a cord it was simply to add a red so I never noticed the tension because of the red and black. This time I changed all the cords to red except 1, I left black. Now I can go up to 7. I like the option of adding to the range of resistance.

Still, I wish they would address the cord longevity in their presentation sometime on QVC. I think it would be beneficial. I cannot be the only one with funky cords.

Plus, men might like the machines more if they could get more resistance.