Esteemed Contributor

I'm asking for experiences from those who suffer from psoraisis or know someone who does. I'm not asking for medical advice, so if you're inclinced to get on my back about this, go to another forum, as I'm fairly serious about this psoraisis.

Bottom line: My husband waited 4 years with what he considered to be excema until he sought the advice of a physician. Turns out he suffers from psoraisis, an auto-immune disorder.

He is presently on these two meds (rx): Clobetasol ointment; and new today, Psoraisasin, a pill. The OTC products he uses are salicylic acid, vaseline and shea butter. He tried coal tar products, but didn't like the ordor or stains.

What I'd appreciate are your experiences with this very challenging disorder. I'd expecially be interested to know if any of you were tested for food intolerances and have since modified your food plan. If so, has this positively affected your psoraisis?

Thank you so much in advance!

Respected Contributor

I don't have any personal experience with this disease, but I once knew a woman who did, and she had a very severe case of it, which made me curious about the disease.

I just recently saw a TV show called The Incurables on Veria TV, and they did an episode on how diet can actually substantially change the course of the disease. A registered dietician named Diedre Earls was in the episode, and she had a severe case of psoriasis for a good many years of her life-- until she explored the impact diet could have on her condition. I think it is very worth watching, and perhaps it might help your husband.

As I am having trouble finding a link to the episode on Veria.com, here is a link to an article from this dietician:

http://flakehq.com/archives/0307intv.htm

http://www.everydayhealth.com/psoriasis/webcasts/psoriasis-healing-the-whole-body.aspx

And here is Diedre Earl's website:

http://yourhealingdiet.com

Hope it can help your husband. I wish you the best.

Esteemed Contributor
I have it. I have what they call the double whammy. I have the arthritis too. I am on humira. I have only had one shot the the spots I have haven't cleared yet. It has helped the joints. There is,a over the counter ointment called psoriasin that helped me. If he has scalp psoriasis t gel shampoo has helped. I have bad skin issues,since I was two years old. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Esteemed Contributor
One more thing I was never tested for food allergens. I do find that less stress is better. Funny thing for me is my clarisonic took the flakes off a spot I had on my forehead and around my nose and you can't even see the spots.
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/17/2014 Jersey Born said:

I don't have any personal experience with this disease, but I once knew a woman who did, and she had a very severe case of it, which made me curious about the disease.

I just recently saw a TV show called The Incurables on Veria TV, and they did an episode on how diet can actually substantially change the course of the disease. A registered dietician named Diedre Earls was in the episode, and she had a severe case of psoriasis for a good many years of her life-- until she explored the impact diet could have on her condition. I think it is very worth watching, and perhaps it might help your husband.

As I am having trouble finding a link to the episode on Veria.com, here is a link to an article from this dietician:

http://flakehq.com/archives/0307intv.htm

http://www.everydayhealth.com/psoriasis/webcasts/psoriasis-healing-the-whole-body.aspx

And here is Diedre Earl's website:

http://yourhealingdiet.com

Hope it can help your husband. I wish you the best.

Jersey Born,

Thank you so very much for all of the resources you provided. I know my husband has gone online looking for information, but I firmly believe that food may be a trigger in this disorder, so your response is something I want him to see, as he won't listen to me.

Thanks, again.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/17/2014 ccassaday said: I have it. I have what they call the double whammy. I have the arthritis too. I am on humira. I have only had one shot the the spots I have haven't cleared yet. It has helped the joints. There is,a over the counter ointment called psoriasin that helped me. If he has scalp psoriasis t gel shampoo has helped. I have bad skin issues,since I was two years old. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

ccassaday,

I'm so sorry to hear you have the "double whammy," but am glad to hear that the Humira is helping your joints. My husband uses psoriasin every day. His hands and feet have been qualified as "severe."

Your statement about the Clarisonic is really, really interesting. I will definitely share that with him and have him look at the Clarisonic info. Who knows?!

He's also been having laser treatments for the last month, which flared his hands badly, which now seem to be settling down.

I wish you both relief from this painful, itchy and disfiguring disorder.

Thank you, again.

Esteemed Contributor
I usually have bad flareups on my stomach. Right now it is clear and what they call in remission. I have spots on my elbows right now. The Clarisonic seems to take the surface cells that are flaky. They do make a body clarisonic. It can't hurt anything so it might be worth a try.I have never tried it on my elbows. Just the spots on my face since that is what a clarisonic is for.
Respected Contributor
I, too have suffered with psoriasis since I was a little girl. I tried creams and they were messy and didn't help much. I took methotrexate for about 10 years but it made me so sick that I quit. Methotrexate is a very dangerous drug. My dermatologist wanted me to try Humira and initially I chickened out because of the side effects. Finally I gave in and it's been great. My derm dr said the methotrexate was more harmful in her opinion than the Humira.i take 2 shots monthly and I'm clear. It ships to my house. Psoriasis can be very embarrassing as that's how I felt most of the time. I also have the " double whammy " of the arthritis. I'll be honest. I work two jobs and I'm a busy single mom and I don't really want to take the time to try to control my psoriasis with my diet. I believe like with any disease that people need to find their own way to deal with it because each person is different. OP if you have any questions I too will help you with any advice I have. CCassady, hang in there and give it a few months!!! You won't regret it. HTH
Esteemed Contributor
I agree with the above post. You have to find what is best for you. I could never do it with my diet. I hate so many good foods. I have heard fish oil pills can help. My arthritis is very severe. When my joint problems started in my early twenties humira was just coming out. I refused to take methotrexate. Insurance at that time wouldn't cover humira. I can't reverse all my damage but it is helping the joints. I was so scared to take that first shot because everyone on the internet was talking about how painful it was. But it was pretty painless.
Esteemed Contributor

wvumountiefan & ccassaday,

wvumountiefan - I really, really appreciate you sharing your experiences and the same for the other respondants. This will so help my husband to begin to deal with this. I think he's still in some denial that he has a chronic condition, as his health has been pretty darn good his entire life. He will turn 70 next month and the symptoms started 4 years ago. I keep hoping that the pain in his knee is not psoraisis, but now think I should send him to my knee doc for an eval, just to make sure. Could be he's just got regular osteoarthritis.

ccassaday - thank you for your continuing helpful remarks. I had no idea that Clarisonic made a body model. Since my husband is really, really bothered by the skin peeling, some of which is very thick, and also bloody, I'm thinking what the heck! You can self treat with the Clarisonic, which could turn out to be a huge blessing. He wears gloves all of the time now and wears socks in soft shoes.

Again, thanks to all of you. You will be in my prayers. - Rebecca