Esteemed Contributor

my ordeal after back surgery

As I wrote I was going to have surgery at the end of Aug. The next day I was walking some and that night I was sent to a nursing/rehab. Nothing to much in getting me up and moving. A few nights later I was back in the hospital. My white count was way too high and they also found uti which I am dealing with now. Besides many IVS

Esteemed Contributor

Re: my ordeal after back surgery

I DON'T

know what happened. Still have to go in I for 2 hour sessions this week and more blood tests. also I had to have an abscess removed on my back where the surgery was. And a pint of blood. Still kind of weak to do much of anything for dh didn't do much. at least he fed the cats. My son is an angel taking me to the doctors etc.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to respond to your post, but am still not really understanding what happened to you.

Did the back surgery cause the abscess? Did that burst and you lost a pint of blood? Are you in pain and can you walk? What kind of back surgery was it?

I didn't see your former post, so maybe that is why I am confused.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

so sorry to hear about this halfpint....Wishing you healing and good thoughts. Surgery is just no fun... I know with my joint replacements. Hopefully soon they will get you on the road to recovery and you will be feeling better.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately some surgeries are not completely sterile, so the abscess isn't too surprising. Sorry you have to deal with that. The UTI might have happened rather you had the surgery and the problem that caused it in the first place. The timing just happened the way it did. I'm sure the antibiotics they are giving you will clear that up within the next 10 days to a week or so. Will keep you in my prayers.

Rest as much as possible and drink loads of water !! Smile

Honored Contributor

Back surgery is no picnic. I hope you do well with rehab and will be back to your old self again. Get well soon.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Unfortunately some surgeries are not completely sterile, so the abscess isn't too surprising.

What on earth is your source of this information? This is about the most ridiculous of all the utterly ridiculous things I have ever read on this BB.

Honored Contributor

halfpint - i wish you well and speedy healing.

Respected Contributor

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

halfpint,

I'm so sorry to hear how you're struggling since your back surgery. I had a disc excision in 91 (basically went in and cleaned up the herniation and left a lot of scar tissue) and a double back fusion 6 years ago. It's a lot more emotional of an experience than people realize. One thing I've noticed is it seems people go through somewhat of a depression a month or two out, though I'm not sure if it's coming down from the mental build up of healing fast and feeling better right away that most of us expect to happen faster and being better soon (when it takes a lot longer), or if it's related to medication used during surgery fading. It's even worse when there are problems like you're having as they're definitely not expected!

My back fusion was first through the front to clean out the discs and put the cages and bone stimulant in, then two days later they went through the back to put in the rest of the hardware. My body went nuts trying to get that hardware out, and I had to wait a full year to have it removed. The rods were digging into my muscles, causing a lot of spasms and I basically spent a year depressed unable to do much without making the spasming worse.

My understanding was after being hooked up to a catheter, most doctors give antibiotics as UTIs are common. It may not have been done if it was only used for a short time, but I know between that and especially the abscess, you must be incredibly frustrated. My prayers are with you and I hope you start feeling more like yourself soon (but with relief!). I hope the rest of recovery is as pain free as possible with no more complications. Hugs to you.