Super Contributor

Joe Cross Fat Sick 2 Movie Premiers Tomorrow

It looks like the original thread got poofed, perhaps becuase of copyright.

The premier of #2 Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is tomorrow. You can do a search and find out information. I think it bears repeating, for those who need inspiration (like me) and a little kick to get going. Today is the last day of my 40 day juice fast, so it's pretty cool for me to celebrate by going to the premier tomorrow. - Bird

Honored Contributor

Re: Joe Cross Fat Sick 2 Movie Premiers Tomorrow

Bird: Did you go? What was your take-away? You're entering a new chapter since finishing your 40Day! Hope this film gives you the inspiration to continue your journey!

Time so got away from me (from going to the movie)..didn't make it, but I did catch a call with Ann Esselystn talking about her new cookbook. Still inspired!

Did anyone else go to this film?

Super Contributor

On 9/19/2014 sidsmom said:

Bird: Did you go? What was your take-away? You're entering a new chapter since finishing your 40Day! Hope this film gives you the inspiration to continue your journey!

Time so got away from me (from going to the movie)..didn't make it, but I did catch a call with Ann Esselystn talking about her new cookbook. Still inspired!

Did anyone else go to this film?

sorry I responded but it came up blank. Busy this weekend. Will respond again later. - Bird

Honored Contributor

Here's a neat website I happened upon...they interviewed Joe Cross. Just more insight with his weight loss challenges focusing on the importance of ""Community"".

Trusted Contributor

That is great for you Bird. I did a 30 day juice fast in January and I went to the premiere. My theatre was less than half full. I found it informative. Joe has struggled some with his weight but has kept most of his weight off. He went back and visited some of the people he had met in the first film. I can't remember the name of the truck driver from the 1st film that he personally helped lose a lot of weight, but unfortunately he gained back all of the weight. He had gotten married, didn't work out and divorced. His problem was he had no support system. He recently moved to North Carolina I believe and is on the path to regain his health.

I don't know if you saw my post from this thread, so I have reposted it for you. I hope you may find this helpful to you on your journey.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/health+fitness/topic/463677/postid/9625634/re-has-anyone-done-the-b...

I posted this in another thread earlier this year. I did see the PBS special that the OP mentioned, but I chose to follow a different detox program. It is not for everyone. I know this is a long thread but wanted to give you the details. Please feel free to skip what you are not interested in.

I have been yo-yo’ing for the last 5 years. I can always lose weight, just not maintain it. I think I’ve finally figured out what will work for me. In December, while channel surfing, I came across a documentary on HLN called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I laughed and said that is me. Below is an online synopsis of the film:

100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease, Joe Cross is at the end of his rope and the end of his hope. In the mirror he saw a 310lb man whose gut was bigger than a beach ball and a path laid out before him that wouldn't end well— with one foot already in the grave, the other wasn't far behind. FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD is an inspiring film that chronicles Joe's personal mission to regain his health.

With doctors and conventional medicines unable to help long- term, Joe turns to the only option left, the body's ability to heal itself. He trades in the junk food and hits the road with juicer and generator in tow, vowing only to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice for the next 60 days. Across 3,000 miles Joe has one goal in mind: To get off his pills and achieve a balanced lifestyle.

At 5’ 6" and 203.6 lbs, I was at the heaviest I’ve ever been. I wanted, needed, to do something drastic to kickstart my weight loss. I went to Joe’s website, ordered a receipe book, to-go-cups, and DVD of the film. I think the documentary was done in 2011 and there is an active forum so I thought that was a good sign. Luckily I had bought a juicer a few years ago but never used it.

On 1/13/2014, I blew off the dust on my juicer and started my Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead Juice fast. They recommend drinking a minimum of 64 oz of juice a day so that is what I did. I also committed to drinking a gallon of water a day. The only other thing you can have is herbal tea, so I got some organic chamomile tea. My initial goal was to do 60 days of the fast, then slowly come out of it and start eating healthy. Days 1-10 went pretty well. Wasn’t that hungry, surprisingly. When I was hungry, or cold, I’d have my tea. Days 11-14 was another story. My body was like, "enough with the juice, feed me". I almost caved, but I told my body I am not giving up, I am not quitting, and by day 15 the hunger went away. I decided after 30 days, I would make a decision if I wanted to continue for another 30 days.

I finished the 30 day juice fast on 2/11/14. Below are my results:

Start End

Bust: 44 to 40 3/4

Upper Arm:13 7/8 to 13 1/2

Waist: 36 1/2 to 32 1/2

Stomach: 44 to 40

Hips: 46 to 43 1/2

Thighs: 25 5/8 to 23 3/4

Knees: 17 to 16 1/4

Calves: 14 to 13 5/8

Ankles: 10 to 9 1/8

Weight: 203.6 to 176.8

Body Fat% 32.3 to 38.8 (as measured on scale that calculates bodyfat)

I decided not to continue on an all juice fast for the following reasons:

1. The program recommends just walking while fasting but I am an overachiever and worked out at the gym 3x/week and started a couch to 5k running program.

2. Since I wasn’t taking in any protein, my bodyfat increased

3. I could probably have done another 2 weeks but I missed "eating"

4. And finally, I achieved what I wanted. A jumpstart to a healthier new year and rest of my life.

Of course with following something this drastic, the key was how to go from fasting to eating without undoing what I had achieved. Since my 30 days ended on a Tuesday, and I wanted to get back to a Monday start, to aligned with my fitness program, from Wednesday to Sunday, I did the following:

Meal 1 – Juice

Meal 2 – Egg Sandwich (2 slices Ezekiel 4:9 Low-Sodium bread, 2 eggs cooked omelet style in microwave, 2 slices tomato, 2 slices onion, red leaf lettuce)

Meal 3 – Juice

Meal 4 – Juice

On Monday 2/17/14 I weighed and took my measurements and to my surprise, I lost 1 lb, 3 3/8", and 4.1% bodyfat.

Because my workouts were getting more intense, I decided I needed to switch out another juice for a meal. So currently, I have switched out Meal 4 for Baked Tilapia in foil packets with white wine, lemon juice, minced garlic, basil, salt & pepper, Brown Rice cooked in veggie broth with tomatoes and scallions, and Steamed Broccolini and Green Beans tossed in a little EVOO.

After 1 week of following this eating plan, I kept the egg sandwich the same as I only wanted to introduce one change, I lost another 0.6 lbs, 1 7/8", and 2.4% body fat. My bodyfat is now back to the 32.3% it was on 01/13 so I can start actually losing, and my weight, as of 02/24 is 175.2. My plan is to keep with 2 juices and 2 meals for a few more months, then swap out Meal 1 Juice for probably Oatmeal, Greek yogurt, berries. I think I will always have 1 green juice as a "meal" to help maintain my weight loss. I think this is something I can live with for the rest of my life.

I realize this is not a program for everyone, but it is working for me. Just wanted to share what I have been doing these past 6 weeks.

Fast forward to today (08/10/14)

I eat 4 meals a day, one being Joe's orginal juice. The "receipe" is:

1 green apple

3 handfuls of spinach ( I used 3c)

6 Kale leaves

1/2 cucumber

4 celery stalks

1/2 lemon

1 thumb-nail size piece of ginger

Put everything into a juicer and drink. Since I work from home and things can get crazy, I drink my juice in the afternoon when all I literally have time to do is grab something from the fridge.

Updated measurements:

Bust: 34 1/2" (32D)

Upper Arm: 11

Waist: 26

Lower Stomach: 32"

Hips: 35"

Thighs: 20 1/4"

Knees: 14"

Calves: 13"

Ankles: 8 3/8"

Weight: 128 lbs

Body Fat% 16.4%

It's still a struggle every day to eat right and exercise, but I think I have finally found peace, and balance, with my body and my life.

Good luck to all of you. It can be done. I've started and stopped so many times I can't even tell you. If you stumble, just get back up and start again.

Vickie

Super Contributor

sidsmom, yes I went to the premier. There was only a handful of people in the theater, which was nice for me as I get claustrophobic, but of course, not too good for Joe Cross. The movie is not one that keeps you on the edge of your seat. In fact, I had to kick myself to pay attention at times. I was impressed, as usual, with Joe Cross. He does not do this because it is all about HIM. He seems to have a mission, and his ego is not in the forefront. I loved when he revisited people and made it clear that their success was due to THEIR effort, not his. I do like that guy! It was so nice to see the gun store owner again, but then, sadness at his brother's passing.

Now, for me, Phil Staples managed to steal the show again, (almost L-ing OL)! When I saw him I did audibly groan "Oh nooooo!" and then had to explain to my DH why I mourned. The thing is, Phil is so many of US who struggle with addiction and emotional pain and emptiness. The most handsome picture of him in his prime (at his wedding) sticks in my memory, although it was only shown for a second. I totally, and I mean totally, identify with him. Having friends and family to support you means so much in life, whether in diet or just whatever life brings. I have not had that support (sorry to talk about me for a moment) and have often though how nice it would be to have someone really care about how you are doing in life. The show Extreme Weight Loss is something I watch every week. I just love the thought, and like to imagine, someone caring for a full year about, eh, me. It'll never happen, but the point is that watching and listening to Phil, and reading his post on Joe's site, just hit home over and over with me. Yes, Phil "failed" in a way, but not really. I have a seed of inspiration from him, and I just know he is on his way back. He's lucky to have Stacey's husband to help him.Well I could go on and on, but that's enough on that from me!

So you know Ann E? Lucky you!!! I will be looking for her cookbook. I wish I could see her hubby. I need a doctor I can trust and he seems to have the character I'm looking for.

Vickie00, thank you for that most lengthy and kind post. I will check out your link. Eating right is so puzzling. I want to follow Fuhrman's WOE, as I am sensitive to the plight of animals (and clearly identify and communicate with them like most others cannot) and know that the animal protein is cancer-causing. Then Perlmutter makes his most convincing arguments and I have to consider them...how to do low carb without eating animals? etc. etc. I've said before, I am at the point of plant based, minimal or no grains (although I'll eat quinoa) and I do eat my happy hens' organic eggs. Always lots of plants with every meal though.

I mentioned addictions in the previous para...I can pass a pizza place and salivate at the thought of the wheat dough and the corn-syrup-loaded sauce, much, I imagine, an alchoholic struggles when passing a store that sells booze. Poor Phil! I identify! We all need to take opportunities to show kindness and sensitivity toward those whose paths cross our lives, and offer support and love when appropriate. - Bird

Honored Contributor

Bird: Oh how I wish I knew the Esselstyn's!! They are an amazing family. Chef AJ (part of the Mcdougall, Esselstyn, Campbell, et al, family) has weekly teleconference calls. Last week she had 2...one about sugar addictions & another call interviewing Ann Esselstyn & her daughter, Jane..talking about their new cook book. Those calls will be posted on her website for listening hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Addictions: I know what you're talking about. Chef AJ (who is on these teleconference calls) struggles w/ this, as well. Her philosophy is total removal of those trigger foods...salt, oil, sugar. She gives a lot of good tips/tricks during her calls...they're worth a listen. BTW: Have you read "The Pleasure Trap" by Doug Lyle? Of course, it's about addictions. HTH.

Chef AJ prerecorded teleconference calls

Trusted Contributor

I have followed Joel Furhman as well. Ordered some of his flavored vinegars. And I have read his books and followed the works of the Esselstyns's. I have Rip's Engine 2 Diet book. I've also seen the Forks over Knives documentary. I've been pescaterian for about 10 years and am deciding that I may be ready to be vegan.

I agree that eating right can be puzzling and challenging as there are many approaches. For me, I just need to decide what will work best for me. That's all any of use can do.

Super Contributor

On 9/21/2014 sidsmom said:

Bird: Oh how I wish I knew the Esselstyn's!! They are an amazing family. Chef AJ (part of the Mcdougall, Esselstyn, Campbell, et al, family) has weekly teleconference calls. Last week she had 2...one about sugar addictions & another call interviewing Ann Esselstyn & her daughter, Jane..talking about their new cook book. Those calls will be posted on her website for listening hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Addictions: I know what you're talking about. Chef AJ (who is on these teleconference calls) struggles w/ this, as well. Her philosophy is total removal of those trigger foods...salt, oil, sugar. She gives a lot of good tips/tricks during her calls...they're worth a listen. BTW: Have you read "The Pleasure Trap" by Doug Lyle? Of course, it's about addictions. HTH.

Chef AJ prerecorded teleconference calls

sidsmom, I have Doug Lyle's vsh.org lecture on my laptop! I will check out Ann E's website. Didn't know she had one. You are kind to post the Chef AJ link. Thank you.

BTW Vickie00, I did major muscle work during my fasts (I usually do 2 30 days per year) and thought my juices had enough protein. Now I think maybe I should reconsider adding some protein. My butt's pretty much gone lol! Not in a good way, that is. I don't have a weight issue, but the emotional addiction thing goin' on. - Bird

Honored Contributor

Here's a link to ""Healthy Girl's Kitchen"" where she talks about food addictions. Worth a quick read to inspire...it spoke to me.