Honored Contributor

Z pac 5 day dosage side effects

I had some major dental surgery on Friday and was give the 5 day Z Pac post surgery. I have a low gastric tolerance for most antiboitics and it is necessary for me to take something. This is the first time I have used a z pac, and I think the side effects I am feeling are normal but a little scary to me.

Typical tummy upset with gas

Sleeplessness

Body pain and discomfort and general miserableness

Lethargy

I have take 3 days already and I am seeing my dentist tonight and will see if I can stop 2 days short, because right now I feel like I have been hit by a truck

TIA - ellen

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Z pac 5 day dosage side effects

Hi ellen- maybe some of your issues are coming from the surgery itself. Dental surgery and the mental prep for it is quite a bear. Hope you get some help tonight at your appointment!
Honored Contributor

I cannot take Keflex, but I have very little in the way of side effects with the Z-Pak antibiotic. It would be worth your while to check in with your dentist to see if she/he thinks you should be switched to another antibiotic. Fortunately, today they should be open. I'd call.

Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Goldie76 said:

I cannot take Keflex, but I have very little in the way of side effects with the Z-Pak antibiotic. It would be worth your while to check in with your dentist to see if she/he thinks you should be switched to another antibiotic. Fortunately, today they should be open. I'd call.

I can't take that stuff either, but the Zpak didn't seem to bother me.

Honored Contributor

I've had no problems with the Z pack. You should definitely check with your doctor, but you're only 2 pills away from being done. Definitely call your doctor though.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I do the three pack now but have been on the z pack since the late 90's and it is wonderful for my sinus infections. The only problem I ever had was constipation but there is a list of possible problems. Good luck but I would finish since you are this close to the end of the drug.

<h3>What are the possible side effects of azithromycin?</h3>

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using azithromycin and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

• diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
  • chest pain, uneven heartbeats;
  • nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
  • severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.

Less serious side effects may include:

• mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation;
  • stomach pain or upset;
  • dizziness, tired feeling, or headache;
  • nervous feeling, sleep problems (insomnia);
  • vaginal itching or discharge;
  • mild itching or skin rash;
  • ringing in your ears, problems with hearing; or
  • decreased sense of taste or smell.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Man,I'd stop taking it now and talk to your dr. My daughter took that for a few days and now has issues with her heart. Never, ever before, did she have any problems but now she does with weird heart palps. No one has been able to come up with a reason, except for her taking the Z pac. Not worth it. There are other things to take.

Honored Contributor

....what did your dentist say when you called him with your concerns ???

Esteemed Contributor

It gave me a yeast infection in my mouth, all over my tongue and another place.{#emotions_dlg.blushing} I never had a yeast infection in all my 77 yrs of life.

I will NEVER use it again!

Regular Contributor

I took it only one time and lost my hearing, some of my hearing has come back, but not totally. Hearing loss is aside effect for about 1% of peoplewho take it.I am so priveleged to be in that 1 %.