Respected Contributor

The Importance of a Proper Diet

I just read this today, from the Chicago Tribune, and I wanted to share it with others. I am planning to go vegan-- again-- but this time, I would like to try to remain that way.

Article

I would love to read words of encouragement from others who have travelled this path.

What health benefits have you noticed after making this dietary change?

What motivates you to stay on this path and what keeps you from straying from it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Importance of a Proper Diet

On 9/14/2014 Jersey Born said:

I just read this today, from the Chicago Tribune, and I wanted to share it with others. I am planning to go vegan-- again-- but this time, I would like to try to remain that way.

Article

I would love to read words of encouragement from others who have travelled this path.

What health benefits have you noticed after making this dietary change?

What motivates you to stay on this path and what keeps you from straying from it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

When planning on a major lifestyle change it is never good to even think the word "try". I have been lacto-ovo since the mid 1970's but have never had the desire or seen it necessary to go vegan to meet the needs of my body for the best fuels for it to function at its best.

I've drastically changed so many things in my life I cannot remember all of them. The way I have been successful with all of them is to do them "cold turkey style", be it what I eat/drink/smoking and so on. I have not failed in any of them once I started the journey. During these times I never even let the word "try" enter my mind.

Sure, these were not the easiest things for me, or anyone to do, but with the desire and the motivation and the quest to feel better? I have been successful and I see no reason that you will not be in meeting your health goals whatever they might be.

My best to you in your quests

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I became pescatarian over the last 4 years. I started out slow and gradually eliminated a lot of animal products from my diet over time. At this point it's not only the health benefits that keep me motivated, but the ethical as well...but that's another story...

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 5 years ago. As of now, there is no indication that I have a floppy heart valve. Foot, ankle, knee and hip problems/aches/pains are gone. And my sugar levels are normal...no longer borderline diabetic. Plus the 100+ weight loss has been very nice. This... all this is what keeps me motivated and focused on my lifestyle change.

But diet is only half the answer. The other half and more important is exercise. 1 hour 5-6 days a week. I'm big into the home DVDs...P90X, Insanity, T25, Tea Bo... This was another gradual process. The full hour a day, 5-6 days a week was something I built up to over about a year's period. Exercise is now something I look forward to, I do it for me and me only. I look it it as my daily "me time".

All I can say is find something that works for you, start off slowly, and then the benefits will start to show themselves. Hopefully the benefits you start to see will keep you motivated. Best of luck.

Respected Contributor

Why vegan? Why not just common sense, whole food diet, cut back on animal protein? Vegan is a radical shift.

hckynut, I agree, "try" is weak. I will is better!

Super Contributor

I'm also a pescatarian. I agree on the exercise thing. I got a dog. I felt weird walking alone, and a dog is the perfect reason to get out for an hour or two every day. The dog is happy too, win-win.

Respected Contributor

How wonderful to come back from a shopping expedition (for food) and find such great responses. Thank you!

John, you are right. This is a lifestyle change, not something to try. I have a cousin who has lived this lifestyle for many years now, and I know I have someone to call for any support I might need. I am so glad you have been successful with your diet changes.

Kjohnson, I know you are right about the need to add the exercise into the mix. As soon as my toe problem (a fracture) goes away, I am going to begin to integrate exercise into my life as well.

Skylands, it is a radical change, but my desire for change is motivated by my biological need, and even doctor's advice, to eliminate animal protein, and I have numerous food allergies and intolerances that need to be wiped out of my life as well. As I feel so energetic (day two and so far, so good) I don't want to take any steps backward, but rather see how it goes and how I continue to feel. I feel really, really wonderful today!

Clover, it is always good to go walking with a friend, and dogs are fantastic companions. I used to walk with a neighbor (3 1/2 to 4 miles/day), and that is when I discovered that endorphins aren't a myth. As soon as my toe heals, I intend to resume that activity with another friend, who also enjoys going for walks.

Well, I'm off to the kitchen to stir fry some quinoa (without egg-- of course) and vegetables.

Super Contributor

Jersey, are you familiar with the work of Dr. Esselstyn, Dr McDougall, and any of the like?

Honored Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Go Pokes! said:

Jersey, are you familiar with the work of Dr. Esselstyn, Dr McDougall, and any of the like?

Yay! Another Esselstyn/McDougall fan!

Jersey Born: Sounds like something spoke to you to make this proclamation. And it sounds like you're on the right path.

I slowly morphed from vegetarian to vegan...but I was a Fat Vegan. Being Vegetarian, I ate too much olive oil, avocados. Eggs disagreed with me. Cheese? Well that's Cow Crack to me!! Without a label (vegan), I again, slowly morphed into not eating animal products...or their byproducts. So today, I'm slowly morphing into no Salt, Oil, Sugar (SOS).

To gain the health benefits, I truly believe in the low fat, whole foods, plant based ideal (ala Esselstyn/McDougall).

Benefits? Being hypothyroid, my digestive system is sloooow, so increased greens & fruit makes things..er um, pass quickly!! It's CHEAP eating! Greens, fruit, beans, grains & potatoes. Very light on the pocketbook!

Motivates? It's hard...I'll be honest. I've always struggled w/ food addictions...it's my drug of choice. But unlike total elimination like drugs/alcohol, I have to test my resolve every day. Every meal. Every minute of the day. Socializing is difficult @ times but if I know where we're going, I check the menu online & write down everything on a 3x5 card & put it next to me. I'll be honest...most of the time it works, but sometimes it doesn't...but being on track for a length of time (no SOS) makes those binges less lengthy (one meal turns into one day, turns into one week, etc). I'm able to return to my clean eating quicker when those triggers aren't in my life. Every minute I eat clean, it trains the brain not to binge. That is my reason for eating this way. TMI? Smiley Happy

Staying track: Chef AJ, who works w/ Esselstyn/McDougall has teleconference calls every so often. Next one is Oct 2 w/ Dr. Esselstyn's wife, Ann, who does the recipes for his books. Go to Chef AJ's website to get signed up for email reminders. Highly recommend...her talks are inspirational. Hope all this helps make your journey a little easier!

www.eatunprocessed.com.....Chef AJ Teleconferences

Respected Contributor

Good evening, Go Pokes!, I am aware of the work of McDougall and of Esselstyn, but not truly familiar with it. I am sure I will need to do some reading on how to do this properly, so thank you for the recommendation.

Thanks for the website, Sidsmom. I will definitely check it out. Thank you for sharing your experience, too. I know it won't be easy. I am truly looking forward to all of the health benefits, however, so that makes it sort of like a fun science experiment, in addition to being a lifestyle change. I had been in a bit of a food rut, and I was getting kind of bored, actually, with my menu. Now, there are so many new recipes I can explore.

KJohnson, in my haste to respond to everyone, I forgot to comment upon your spectacular weight loss. Congratulations!

This time around, I am going to eliminate pasta and other wheat products. They just make me tired.

Super Contributor

Sidsmom, uggh I've found that I have been spending more with this WOE! I do however, purchase mostly, if not all, organic grocery. Do you do this, or just get what you need from a conventional grocer?