Honored Contributor

I'm tempted to get mine next trip to the store. The Pharmacist sent papers so I can get it done. Third year this year, and so far so good. I hear about the kids getting sick here mostly in the Midwest it seems like and hope soon they get that bugger that's making them sick. Hubbie thinks it should wait until next month, I'm kind of leary about waiting.

When do you get your flu shots?

Super Contributor

I usually get mine in October.

Respected Contributor

I usually get mine in Oct-Nov, but I plan to get it this weekend.

Frequent Contributor

I usually get mine in Oct. I was told the vaccine only lasts for about 3 months so getting it in Oct will last through Feb, the height of the flu season.

Super Contributor
On 9/10/2014 momshan said:

I usually get mine in Oct. I was told the vaccine only lasts for about 3 months so getting it in Oct will last through Feb, the height of the flu season.

Told by whom?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ColdandFluQuestions/story?id=5677892

"The immunity from the vaccine actually lasts for a substantial period of time. In past years people used to be concerned that the immunity would fade but we have much better data now that supports that immunity actually can extend throughout the influenza season into the spring, and in many cases actually into the following year."

Respected Contributor

I work at a large public institution where the local hospital comes in and gives it to the full time employees (my employer pays for it). This year they are giving it on October 2. Last year it actually was the end of September. I get it every year, and so far no flu (I have asthma, so got to be careful).

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

I usually get mine late Sept or early Oct. I am going to wait a bit this year. I got it last year and got a BAD flu the first week of Feb during my sun vacation. Spent the while week in bed shivering in the a/c. So disappointing! LM

Honored Contributor
I get mine in October. When I worked, the hospital always did flu shots in October, to provide the most protection during flu season. One year my daughter got her flu shot at her doctors office in August, and then had to get a second flu shot in February, due to the flu season being so severe, and the fear she would not be adequately protected after 6 months. Our bodies process flu vaccine differently, and some of us will not be protected after 6 months, which is why people who have taken a flu shot will get the flu later in the season.
Respected Contributor

I don't know how long the protection of a flu shot is supposed to be, but in years past when there was an outbreak in & after Feb, the news reported that the CDC said it was a different flu bug than what was planned for in the vaccine distributed the previous fall. So, we can try to help ourselves as much as we can, but there's no 100% guarantee.

I also read several years ago in Good Housekeeping magazine that some medical research had revealed somewhat of an accumulative protective effect of flu & pneumonia shots given to people over age 50 when they had their shots every year or as advised by their health care provider.

Honored Contributor

I got mine last Friday. Last I read was that the shots last about 8 months. Sounds like nobody really knows for sure, however.