Respected Contributor

I've been at WW almost a year and 30#'s are gone...that's a small step in the right direction but I've been stuck there. My body just doesn't want to lose anymore so I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer for a month....he's expensive but I figure I've been spending the money at WW and it's been a waste so I'm investing in this trainer to get me off this plateau.

I was told that I'm better off than the majority of people who want to lose weight since most people try to exercise and they eat like they used to, it's better to get your food under control then exercise....so I'm pretty happy about that.

1st session was yesterday and this guy must be physic or something like that because he said you're going to feel it tomorrow....yes, I feel it....shear pain today, back at it again tomorrow.

Half way there so I'm pretty excited so I hope this works.

Honored Contributor

I'm 60 and see my trainer twice a week.

I suggest you buy a foam roller...they are available on Amazon or at Target/Wal Mart/ etc.

You can roll away a lot of the aches and pains.

Your trainer may have one at the gym and can show you how to use it!

Super Contributor

After I had lost 15 pounds doing my usual diet and exercise, I got stuck. I broke my pattern by doing the Take Shape for Life program with Medifast bars for just a couple of weeks and then I started losing again. sometimes you just have to shake things up a bit. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I would suggest sticking with the WW and ALSO doing the workouts. It doesn't take a psychic to know that your muscles are going to be sore after a first or a new workout. You will hit plateaus with working out as well. Try to mix up cardio and weight training. If you plateau, you've got to "shake things up". But never, never, EVER give up! The plateau will pass eventually and you just have to believe in yourself, believe in your training and your diet plan. I was at a plateau for months and although it was discouraging, I didn't give up and just kept reminding myself that a plateau is still better than gaining!

P.S. YES, get a foam roller, they are da bomb! I call it my "soreness eraser".

Honored Contributor
On 9/9/2014 nantucket shore said:

I've been at WW almost a year and 30#'s are gone...that's a small step in the right direction but I've been stuck there. My body just doesn't want to lose anymore so I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer for a month....he's expensive but I figure I've been spending the money at WW and it's been a waste so I'm investing in this trainer to get me off this plateau.

I was told that I'm better off than the majority of people who want to lose weight since most people try to exercise and they eat like they used to, it's better to get your food under control then exercise....so I'm pretty happy about that.

1st session was yesterday and this guy must be physic or something like that because he said you're going to feel it tomorrow....yes, I feel it....shear pain today, back at it again tomorrow.

Half way there so I'm pretty excited so I hope this works.

Not sure I would use the word "physic" for your trainer. Many here, myself included, have talked much and often about differing levels of "pain", and knowing the good from the bad.

Been an athlete all my adult life and as I grew older the time span between "overdoing it" took longer to surface each decade. What started as "the next day" when I was in my 20's-30's became 2 days later in my 40's-50's. When I hit 60 it generally was more than 2 days for my muscles to acclimate to the "skating mode" from running mode of the off season.

Short suggestion. One's body will always acclimate(things get easier to do), thus it always needs to be "challenged". While a trainer is good for some, many can get past a sticking point by introducing their body to something new to which it is not "acclimated". That for most it all that is needed to get it jump started once again.

Keep your body guessing while working it hard, but not so hard as to be in "shear pain" at any time, and that includes before/during or after your training or exercise programs.

Best to ya from me.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor
What is your diet like? On WW you are probably eating too many carbs.
Honored Contributor

nantucket shore! Any change is good change....shake things up.

Word of Advice: Be mindful of your soreness & aches/pains. The majority of the aches will be micro tears within the muscle, thus causing ache. Any pain that doesn't go away after a 2 day period, please ask your PT to adjust your routine. That's not a good sign. Workouts & exercise shouldn't require taking Tylenol on a regular basis.

Too many of these trainers have this macho, "harder, faster, quicker puke your guts out" mentality...and THAT serves no one. Clients get injured...and you've wasted all that money & back to square one. It's good to push....but only at a gradient. I've been athletic for DECADES...and training smart has made injuries almost non-existent, so I speak from experience!

Slow & steady always wins the race!! Please be careful but report your success stories!! Sidsmom.

Super Contributor
On 9/9/2014 sidsmom said:

nantucket shore! Any change is good change....shake things up.

Word of Advice: Be mindful of your soreness & aches/pains. The majority of the aches will be micro tears within the muscle, thus causing ache. Any pain that doesn't go away after a 2 day period, please ask your PT to adjust your routine. That's not a good sign. Workouts & exercise shouldn't require taking Tylenol on a regular basis.

Too many of these trainers have this macho, "harder, faster, quicker puke your guts out" mentality...and THAT serves no one. Clients get injured...and you've wasted all that money & back to square one. It's good to push....but only at a gradient. Please be careful but report your success stories!! Sidsmom.

I couldn't agree with you more Sidsmom! Unfortunately, some of the trainers are not educated or experienced enough to take into consideration their client's fitness level, age, gender and surprisingly, medical history! It's very important to be pushed and in turn push yourself but not to the point where it results in overuse or stress injuries. Do what you can but not more than your body can take. Even range of motion is subjective....I hurt my neck in Pilates by going too far per the instructor...and I should have known better. I'm much better now and lesson learned lol! Lactic acid buildup will also contribute to the aches and pains associated with a good workout...the foam roller is an excellent idea to help alleviate the soreness. Good luck Nantucket Shore!!Smiley Happy)))
Trusted Contributor

I have lost 40 lbs since mid Jan. and I swear, I wonder if I have to have body parts removed -to lose more. It's stuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.sad}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

A foam roller??? Really? Never heard of it, I will definitely get one of those.

My legs hurt the most, right down the front. I told him I'm 0% athletic, 100% book smart so he knows and I better not get hurt. I did stop yesterday and he was OK with that.

It's going to take time, it's like learning to walk, I need to take baby steps because my 0% fitness body is just that.

He said too many carbs too, I'm really surprised since I eat very little grains, bread etc. I'll have a 100 calorie English muffin toasted for breakfast but besides an occasional bowl of popcorn, I don't eat carbs. He told me I need to increase my protein and more fish, chicken and I was doing that but you can only eat so much chicken..it was like almost every night.

Well, I'll have to readjust and find out what's best for me but thanks everyone for the vote of confidence, I need to do this for myself since I'm in charge of selling the family house for mom, getting everything sold, having minor repairs made and overall, spending my time for everyone else and not for myself.

I need this time....and I can't imagine what it would be like if I every had kids or a husband, that would be insane.