Super Contributor

Antidepressants for Hot Flashes

Has anyone tried Effexor for Hot Flashes? I read an article in a magazine where they are using this antidepressant for Hot Flashes. A friend of mine said it has worked wonders for her. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it and did it work for you and what were the side effects?

Super Contributor

Re: Antidepressants for Hot Flashes

Grin and bare it! The less drugs you take the better off you are. Try some of the "natural" things from your health food store. As women, we all go through the Hot Flashes from time to time. Yes, they are annoying and we complain. But doing the drug route is not something I would recommend.

Honored Contributor

I cannot even imagine the circumstances under which I would take antidepressants for hot flashes. Menopause isn't a disease and the hot flashes are normal for that stage of our lives. I wouldn't want the risks associated with antidepressants.....when I'm not even depressed. I wasn't aware they were prescribing antidressants for menopause symptoms but it doesn't surprise me. It gets women in out of the office quickly and the docs don't have to listen to their concerns.

Honored Contributor

Why would you want to take an anti-depressant for hot flashes? There are a lot of serious side effects from anti-depressants.

Esteemed Contributor

I know the FDA approved a class of anti-depressants for hot-flashes. They're a proven, low-risk alternative to HRT which for some women is not an option.

I would for sure speak to my doctor about this as for some the impact on quality of life during menopause is material and suffering is not the only solution.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Occasional Contributor

Yes. My sister took it and she said that it worked for her. Many medications are used for things other than what they are publicly known for.

Frequent Contributor

The right anti-depressant slowly administered by a knowledgeable doctor can do wonders for an array of conditions. shiningstar, I am planning on talking to my doctors about meds next week as the hot flashes I'm having now (2 years post-hysterectomy) are far different than the ones I had that were induced by Lupron. I become soaked from head to toe and at this point I pretty much do not attend social functions because I look like I ran through a sprinkler.

Effexor was prescribed to me to several years ago to assist with my chronic pain; unfortunately it was not for me. I have had much success (and zero side effects) with Zoloft for my crash and burn moods. It has been a lifesaver.

Sorry I don't have an actual response directed at hot flash cures! I just wanted to share my experience b/c what really helped me was keeping a careful log of dosages (always introduced on small amounts, increased over a period of about 6 weeks) and any physical and/or mental reactions during the first month of medications.

I know those flashes are a real bear for some of us to deal with. I hope you have a physician you can have an ongoing dialogue with and I wish you the very best of luck.

Contributor

I'll answer your question from personal experience instead of telling you what I would or wouldn't hypothetically do ...

I currently take Effexor for hot flashes prescribed by my oncologist. Having survived breast cancer, discovering I was menopausal after having to stop oral contraceptives immediately and not being able to take any type of hormone replacement therapy due to the cancer, Effexor has helped me tremendously. I still have them, but no where near the level and intensity that they where before and I no longer have night sweats. My dr. said that it was originally prescribed for menopausal women who were depressed and they discovered that a side-effect with the reduction in hot flashes. I take the lowest dosage available. Hope this is helpful.

Honored Contributor

I keep seeing commercials for some new RX called Brisdelle. I Cool from drugstore is supposed to be very good.

Respected Contributor

I didn't plan to have a problem with hot flashes when I became menopausal. In fact, most of my life I've been the one who is always cold and I thought it might be nice to not be cold all the time.

I was really surprised, however, to find that my hot flashes triggered anxiety attacks, especially during the night. I began to suffer serious effects from losing sleep. I'm single and work full time to support myself and am not able to take naps, and it was also affecting my work. I tried all the over the counter remedies and got only very minimal relief. Eventually I went on HRT. I'm currently slowing weaning myself off the HRT and hopefully will be able to stop altogether within a year. I'm not sure if Effexor has fewer side effects than HRT, but it would be worth discussing with your dr. if for some reason you can't live with the hot flashes.