Regular Contributor

Has anyone had an Electromyography (EMG)?

My oncologist has sent me to a neurologist in order to find out if anything can be done to help neuropathy I've got from chemo. The neurologist scheduled me for an EMG. I'm reading online that it's a very painful test. It's really got me spooked and I'm thinking about cancelling. Has anyone had this test? How bad did you find it to be? I know I can't believe much of what's on Dr. Google, so any shared experiences will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone had an Electromyography (EMG)?

I have had it on my arm, hand, back, leg and foot, it is not pleasant by any means, but you will get through.

Honored Contributor

Please don't back off the test, OP. You can do it, and you need all the info you can collect. I'll be thinking off you.
Valued Contributor

The test is not as bad as you might think...most of it was actually ok with just a few pokes that stung. Nothing you should back away from or be afraid of.

Good luck...

Maria

Esteemed Contributor

I had it - and made it through it with flying colors. 1/2 of the test is nothing; the other 1/2 hurts, I won't lie. Diagnosed with a herniated disc and Dr wanted to check everything out because beforehand (for yrs) was misdiagnosed with sciatica. What I did was laugh everytime it stung. Didn't realize it was that bad until the nurse and I were alone and she mentioned she'd never seen a patient like me - laughing thru the test: to my surprise, she stated that grown men had stopped the test. Believe me, it wasn't that bad - think of something funny and laugh your way thru the pain. If you can go thru childbirth, this is a piece of cake! And, if you feel you can't take it, you just tell the Dr to stop it. Frankly, given a choice of an EMG or going to the dentist - I'll pick the EMG anyday. Good luck; the stinging part doesn't last but a second at a time; and, before you know it, you'll have managed thru it.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for letting me know your experiences. I'm still in a panic, but I always get this way before tests especially if I've heard they are painful. I think when I walk in I'll tell the doctor I'll most likely quit halfway through.

Goldenlocks, I've never been through childbirth but I have had colon cancer surgery.....you reminded me of something I didn't want to remember. I have the first of these EMG's scheduled for Wednesday, then on Thursday I have to go to the dentist and get a cavity filled. Lovely week it will be.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/5/2014 BouvierLady said:

Thanks for Butletting me know your experiences. I'm still in a panic, but I always get this way before tests especially if I've heard they are painful. I think when I walk in I'll tell the doctor I'll most likely quit halfway through.

Goldenlocks, I've never been through childbirth but I have had colon cancer surgery.....you reminded me of something I didn't want to remember. I have the first of these EMG's scheduled for Wednesday, then on Thursday I have to go to the dentist and get a cavity filled. Lovely week it will be.

Ohh!!! I'M SOOO SORRY, BouvierLady - talk about opening mouth and inserting foot! Sorry for your health problems. You've made it thru cancer surgery. This test is a piece of cake - the dentist, not so much! I had not idea - had never heard of an EMG before. I went with an open mind and that is what you must do. Think of something pleasant or funny - an enjoyable experience - your mind will then relax your body; if relaxed, it will be like a quick little pin pinch or a little pinch. Relax and realize YOU CAN DO IT! Good luck and afterwards, post back to us and let us know how easy it really was. (Good luck at the dentist - YUCK!)

Respected Contributor

I had it in my legs and foot. I have high pain tolerance but it still hurt. I was scared and nervous but I'm glad I had it done.

Esteemed Contributor

Please know that the pain is "of the moment." It does not linger and should not bother you for the rest of the day.

An EMG is most important to determine the status of nerves. I'll be having one in the next month or so, as the surgeon who did my knee replacement injured a nerve which turned my left foot numb and I can't move my toes. I've had 3 EMGs on my arms and hands, but never one on a leg. Now that should be interesting.

To tell you the truth, I found the nerve conduction study more painful than the EMG.

Hope all goes well. If you have any relaxation techniques you can use during the test, that should help you!

Super Contributor

I had an EMG recently on both arms & hands to diagnose my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I had the test done at Mayo Clinic and I can honestly say it wasn't very painful at all. I had had the test done on my legs/feet several years ago with more discomfort.

You are a brilliant survivor! This test is nothing.