Super Contributor

I have a tough callus on the ball of my left foot. I have been working on it a while, but there is one spot that hurts like heck. I can't seem to get rid of it, even though I ped-egg it, apply callus remover, scrub it, etc. I have put in for an approval to see a podiatrist, but in the meantime, I am hobbling around in pain. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am beginning to wonder if that spot is a callus.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like more than a callus. Leave it alone until the doctor takes a look.

Honored Contributor
On 9/3/2014 alarmclock said:

Sounds like more than a callus. Leave it alone until the doctor takes a look.

ITA.

Honored Contributor
It sounds more like a corn if it hurts to walk on it.
Respected Contributor

I have had them for years in the same location and I see a podiatrist about twice a year now.

It feels like there is a ""core"" beneath the callus. I hope you can get to the dr. sooner.

Respected Contributor

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about ! I have them also, one on each foot. I think mine came from walking on cement and hardwood floors. I've seen a podiatrist for them. The first time, he put acid on my feet, wrapped them and told me to come back in 3 days. It did 'some' good. The next time I saw him, he just dug it out. It bled and was quite painful...and it came back. The I resorted to the duck tape trick...painful to pull it off. On days I knew I'd have to walk a lot, I cushioned it with a bandaid which gave temporary relief. Then I saw on QVC the Clarisonic Pedi. I have found that it helps more than anything I've tried so far. It's no quick fix and I have to stay right behind it every couple of days. I also added a drop or two of Dr.Scholls Salicylic Acid to help ease the process along. I am careful not to rush the process and can honestly say that walking is not the 'pain' it use to be. Now, this is just what has worked for me. Good luck @ the foot doctor's office.

Honored Contributor
If you have a hard callus it has probably developed because of some problem in your walking gait. Cutting and sanding can open the door to more problems. Have your foot checked by a podiatrist.
Respected Contributor

I should have added to my above post. There is something that could help now. Go to the Dr. Scholls (sp?) section in a store and look for the adhesive-backed foam pieces that you can put over the callus. That should help a lot right now.

Contributor

I had the same problem first on my big toe, and now on my left foot on the side of my my baby toe. I healed my big toe problem and I am working on my baby toe. It took a while, but this WORKS. I knew it was something more than just a callus. After much research, I deduced it was a virus. (Plantar wart) I bought Curad Mediplast...40% salicylic acid pads and Band aid active-flex bandages. With regular use I solved my painful problem. I felt a podiatrist would be a expensive, time consuming last resort because I knew I would have to have multiple treatments. Bought both products from Amazon. Check out the reviews on Amazon. These products work well.

Respected Contributor

Update on my own callus: After a dab of Dr. Scholl's acid every night on the problem spot...and in conjunction with using the Clarisonic Pedi on occasion, this morning I was able to mearly scratch off the painful callus, which appears to be a tiny rock. Voila ! Walking fine today. Different things work for different people - this worked for me.