Honored Contributor

CVSHealth: Name change & early Cigarette/Tobacco removal

Just saw the commercial for the rebranding to CVSHealth. Also cigarettes & tobacco removed today from selves...a month early!! Pro or Con, respect has to be given for a corp of their size to make a stand like that.

Super Contributor

Re: CVSHealth: Name change & early Cigarette/Tobacco removal

I agree.

Honored Contributor

Wegmans stopped selling tobacco products a while ago - and they are doing just fine here.

If you need your tobacco that badly, go to a convenience store, not a drug store!

Super Contributor

My late husband was a CVS pharmacist who on his own, made folks extinguish their cigs while they were in line at his pharmacy window.

Two things he lobbied for long and loudly for before his passing: CVS to stop selling cigs and booze since a HUGE amount of the Rx he filled were directly related to the cigs and booze usage, and for pharmacists to be legally protected/allowed a 30-min. break during a 12+ hr shift.

Both issues have since been resolved, wish he was here to see it.

Honored Contributor

I agree

Honored Contributor

Good idea

Super Contributor

GREAT IDEA!!!! Smiley Happy))
Esteemed Contributor

I really admire CVS for doing this. It aways struck me as odd that the place to go for meds to make you healthier would sell a product that can kill. I hope that people will vote with their purses and support companies that demonstrate this level of responsibility.
Honored Contributor

They're free to do whatever their version of 'corporate' dictates, and then customers will respond accordingly. That's what a free marketplace is all about. There's a CVS right across the street from where I live and friends and neighbors who smoke and purchased tobacco products there indicate that because of the proximity, they'll still go there, but not as often and will likely not purchase as much, as they'll be more inclined to pick up 'incidentals' elsewhere. CVS and most 'drug' stores essentially turned themselves into 'convenience' stores when they started selling tobacco products, cold drinks, candy, snacks, beer and wine, ice, food and so on, so they really are no longer just 'drug' stores. Given that, I find their choice to nix the cigarettes, which were always front and center at checkout, somewhat dicey and do think they'll see a difference in their bottom line, though probably not enough of one to shutter them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Now if they could just remove their poor customer service.