Respected Contributor

I see that lots of people are doing the ALS ice bucket challenge. Can someone tell me how that provides funds to ALS research? I assume someone pledges money if the person they challenge dumps the ice on their head. Am I almost right?

Valued Contributor

I think it started out that if you DIDN't donate money you had to do the ice bucket challenge. Not how it ended up, though.

Super Contributor

There was a recent lengthy thread about this. As I remember it, this topic was a polarizing issue. So, I'll stay out of it and simply suggest you search for the other thread if you would like to read about all the different perspectives. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor
On 9/2/2014 Colonel Meow said:

There was a recent lengthy thread about this. As I remember it, this topic was a polarizing issue. So, I'll stay out of it and simply suggest you search for the other thread if you would like to read about all the different perspectives. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Oh, my! Amazing at what can be polarizing. I looked it up on-line under ALS ice bucket challenge, but really didn't find an explanation.

Super Contributor
On 9/2/2014 di-mc said:
On 9/2/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Oh, my! Amazing at what can be polarizing. I looked it up on-line under ALS ice bucket challenge, but really didn't find an explanation.

Indeed!

Respected Contributor
You can dump the ice bucket on yourself instead of making a donation. Either way, you then can challenge others. Then they can donate or do the challenge, then they challenge others, etc.. It's a fun challenge! We've been challenging different teammates at work. They've raised over 42 million so far for ALS research! It also gets the word out about this horrible disease. Half if the people surveyed never heard of ALS until this challenge. I've know five people with this disease, one has died, the others are in the final stages. They may not live to see a cure, but they are hopeful others will be cured and will not have to suffer like they have.
Super Contributor

The challenge familiar to me is: If you accept challenge you also donate $10, if you don't accept the ice bucket challenge you donate $100.

It was just nine years ago in August my mother died from ALS, just 2 years after her diagnosis.

ALS falls under the umbrella of rare disorders. Annually 30,000 people are diagnosed with ALS. While research has been ongoing, ALS received fewer dollars than many other diseases out the there because of the incidence.