Super Contributor

Post Cardiac By-pass surgery

I'm 2 years out and doing well except for discomfort around the sternum and ribs. Wearing a bra is uncomfortable. I asked the cardiologist about it and he said I may always be uncomfortable. Not real helpful. Certainly limits wardrobe. I'm quite small but still would like to have a semblance of curves and wear more fitted tops. Camis and tanks don't cut it.

Anyone else from the Zipper Club with similar issues/solutions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Post Cardiac By-pass surgery

A male here and though I've had 2 heart attacks not a member of the zipper club. Have however been through 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes and know many female members of the zipper club. As far as your issue? That is not something that any of the ladies discussed with me.

Sorry, but I do hope you find someone that can help you with this issue.

Did you have a heart attack or were you fortunate enough to find the problem before having an event? If so, I am very happy for you.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

What about a Genie bra?

Trusted Contributor

I AM a member of the Zipper Club - almost 4 years now. And I have the same problem. My incision is very sensitive; it itches especially when I perspire; and the left b---b is numb. Wearing a bra is also uncomfortable because it is presses on the incision - if I'm in the house, I frequently will go without despite the fact that I have large br..sts. If I go out, I will sometimes use a little cotton pad as a cushion. I cannot wear anything even the tiniest bit abrasive on that incision - necklace, buttons, zipper, rough material - it just irritates it. All this is annoying but considering the alternative, I welcome it and deal with it. I have discussed these facts with my surgeon and cardiologist and apparently, this is not unusual. The nerves in that area are frequently damaged during surgery and sometimes they will regenerate, but many times, they don't. Probably not what you want to hear but it is a result of the procedure - just consider the fact that it saved your life and be thankful - it could be worse.

Esteemed Contributor

My bf had breast surgery and either wears a cami or the Bali version of the ahh bra. She can wear it, I can't. The band under the breasts is too tight..seems we all have issues. I either wear a cami or go braless!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

I am so sorry for your discomfort. My surgery was over 8 years ago, and after the initial pain in my back directly behind the incision area went away, I have pretty much been pain free. The only change I made in the bra department was to stop wearing underwire. You mentioned that your friend had breast surgery and wears an aaah bra. What about going to a place that specializes in bras for women who have had breast surgery? Other than that, I guess I would just look for the softest kind of bra I could find and make sure that the band is on the loose side.
Frequent Contributor

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone!

This seems such a trivial matter in light of what could have happened. Nevertheless, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one.

I had the typical woman's heart attack. Some call it the widow maker (ew!) Symptoms of dizziness, nausea and persistent back pain for 3 weeks. Several trips to the GP and finally the ER. 2 stents and double bypass. Left the hospital with a new team of docs, a couple scars and a new lease on life.

Life is good and my grandmother would be so pleased. She insisted that cotton undershirts prevented "chest colds". Paid a quarter if you wore one. I've amassed a fortune.

Respected Contributor

I too am a member of the Zipper Club, but mine was not for bypass, but to correct a congenital defect back in 1988. It doesn't bother me at all now, though I can still feel the knots in the wires occasionally on my sternum, but I remember right after the surgery that I had to wear a bra even to sleep at night for support, because if I laid flat, the weight of my breasts pulled the incision apart & it hurt like the dickens. I'm fairly large chested, so this probably wouldn't be an issue for smaller gals or the guys. Actually, it was several weeks until I could lay flat in bed again & slept propped up on pillows.