Contributor

I suffer from severe constipation due to medication. Tonight I ate sugarfree gummy bears to relieve the pain...success at a bad price..any other ideas. I have taken lots of laxatives with little result. I drink lots of water and eat plenty of fiber...any ideas...

Super Contributor

Blackberries!!! This is what my mom gave us, and it works. I always have a can of blackberries in the pantry for such times. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

dried apricots!

Or you can take Natural Calm, a magnesium supplement that you can add to make hot/cold drinks.

I like the raspberry/lemon combination.

Respected Contributor

What are the results of a colonoscopy? Have you consulted a gastro doc? I have IBS w/ constipation and my gastro doc recommended Miralax 2 x a day.-Worked for me.

Esteemed Contributor

If your diet allows.....nuts....when I eat peanuts and cashews....I can plan to spend the next day on the potty.....of course I eat more of them then I should....but it works...good luck...

Honored Contributor

I take 600-800 mg of Magnesium most evenings before bed.....works well for me.

Respected Contributor
On 8/22/2014 maestra said:

What are the results of a colonoscopy? Have you consulted a gastro doc? I have IBS w/ constipation and my gastro doc recommended Miralax 2 x a day.-Worked for me.

My gastro doc also recommended Miralax, but it's once in the evening before bed. It works for me too.

Super Contributor

A Sugar Free Russell Stover's Pecan Delight patty after dinner and 750 mg Magnesium before bed will give you regular, even, easy movements.

Honored Contributor

Our gastro advises dried fruits my hubby had really bad issues and since he has been eating prunes and or figs and apricots in the evening and no issues. The sugar free candies can cause a lot of tummy distress

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Recipe for stewed fruit compote

Package of mixed dried fruit (prune, apple, apricot, peach, pear)

Tbs of golden or regular raisins

Apple juice

Cinnamon stick

Gentle simmer a box of fruit in apple juice, covered, for 20 min. Remove cinnamon stick and let the fruit cool. If you cook it uncovered the last 10 minutes (don't run away, it might get too thick and burn) it makes a really nice thick syrup. I do not add sugar but you can if you like. This is great with vanilla pudding or just on its own, chilled and it's good on oatmeal. Steel cut oatmeal is another good loosener.

CAN YOU WALK a lot? Walking also helps the peristaltic motion of your gut get back in actions. If you are chronically constipated, the gut gets lazy and the motion is not regular. Walking really helps. As does drinking enough water.