Respected Contributor

Can Osteoporosis be reversed with supplements like vit D?

This person had Osteopenia and ignored it and then after 7 years had a bone scan and now has Osteoporosis and the scan measure was < 10% bone deterioration in her hip. she doesn't want to take the medications. She is 80.

Super Contributor

Re: Can Osteoporosis be reversed with supplements like vit D?

It can be slowed down... possible stopped, but it is not easy to regain what was lost.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if taking calcium supplements would help, as well as light weight-bearing exercise. I think even walking would be good.

Honored Contributor

On 8/19/2014 suzeecat said:

I wonder if taking calcium supplements would help, as well as light weight-bearing exercise. I think even walking would be good.

This is what my doctor has recommended. I also take generic fosomax

Honored Contributor

My guess is that at 80, she will not totally reverse the effect; she may however, stabilize at her current level. As proven, this will continue to worsen with time. She definitely needs to do something at this point.

Super Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, the only way to reverse osteoporosis is with prescription meds. Vitamin D, calcium supps and exercise can only possibly prevent it from getting any worse.

Esteemed Contributor

I go to a preventive clinic. I have been able to stop my deterioration. They prescribe (for me) microcrystallized calcium, boron, strontium, bio identical hormones, and weight bearing exercises. Also, Vit D, after having levels checked.

They don't prescribe typical drugs for this unless your condition is extreme. These drugs will help with bone formation, but the integrity of the bone is not good.

This is my experience and opinion. I would certainly encourage weight bearing exercise and perhaps the calcium if she also takes a good multi vitamin/multi mineral with it.

All the best to your friend.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

The doctor sent over a Boniva script to the pharmacy while I was with her. She is my mom. She just agreed with everything the doctor told her. Then when we left the office she would not read any of the Rx literature the doctor gave us at home and refuses to consider any of the meds. I looked at the options. The injectable is out of the question. That leaves Boniva and a few others.

Just wondering if high doses of D3 would help. She takes Caltrate when she thinks of it but the vitamin D3 is only 800mg. She has back problems and has neuropathy so she can't walk for extended periods.

Honored Contributor

If she is working with a physician or physical therapist ask if she could wear a weighted vest. Many see some positive results.
Esteemed Contributor

Violann,

How interesting! I have never heard of such a thing. I have to Google it. I don't know if you read my post or not, but I am completely for alternative/noninvasive treatments.

This is one of the reasons for this forum.....helping one another!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!