Trusted Contributor

In December my Husband was laid off and has one contract Job that ended at the beginning of August. The contract Job was after three months they could choose to hire him and they didn't. The Manager even went as far as to say he would be leaving in front of his co workers. Since that Job is gone he has only had a few bites. He is 61 and has like forty years in Information Technology and loves to challenge himself. My question is how in the world do find another permanent Job? We live in Texas and there should be many opportunities here. He has been working with recruiters who seem to be offering contract Jobs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor
No suggestions really. Just make interviews he has really show the potential employer how much his experience will help the company. This is a tough age to have to be looking for a new good paying job.,
Trusted Contributor
Pray to Jesus. He will provide.
Respected Contributor

Katey: That ONE manager decided not to hire your husband means exactly N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Please remember that. Has your husband considered consulting or working on a 1099 basis? I'm not in IT, but I've always worked that way. You make a higher hourly wage to compensate for the lack of benefits, which you then buy on your own and get some nice tax deductions to boot. Perhaps he could consider other ways of working in his field. Certainly, in the future he might be offered employee status with another job. He knows his field and what he can do to get more work. Encourage him and be patient, and don't let this one manager get you down. Best of luck!

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear of your husband not finding employment, it is hard at this time. I know your husband may not want to consider this but could he do something else...just to bring some money in the house. That is if, money is an issue.

Has he checked with temporary employment agencies for temp. IT work where he works at X company for 3 months then moves to the next company. In this era, society may not be able to get one job at one place for a long time. Times have changed and I have learned to not have loyalty to any of these jobs. They are just a stream of income until the next opportunity comes.

Super Contributor
Maybe a telecommuting job? I see a lot of those in IT.
Honored Contributor
On 8/18/2014 Ms X said:

Katey: That ONE manager decided not to hire your husband means exactly N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Please remember that. Has your husband considered consulting or working on a 1099 basis? I'm not in IT, but I've always worked that way. You make a higher hourly wage to compensate for the lack of benefits, which you then buy on your own and get some nice tax deductions to boot. Perhaps he could consider other ways of working in his field. Certainly, in the future he might be offered employee status with another job. He knows his field and what he can do to get more work. Encourage him and be patient, and don't let this one manager get you down. Best of luck!

I QUIT my corporate job to be a consultant. I wish I did it years ago...after the initial fear that no one would want to hire me - I have more work than before, make more money and am much happier. I do have to buy my own ACA insurance through the state exchange, but there are many deductions you can take advantage of when working for yourself - so it will all work out.

Your DH has years of experience - it priceless to employers. In fact, employers WANT to hire consultants - they prefer just handing over the cash and having you handle all the benefits yourself.

I'm 60 - your DH is 61. Don't let that get him down...he just needs to think outside the box - and consult.

Super Contributor

Maybe encourage him to take anything, even minimum wage at McDonalds, just to bring in some money.

Respected Contributor

I've been in your shoes, and it's horrible. DH was "downsized" 6 months after receiving his congratulatory letter from the president of the company on his 25 years of service. At the time he was over 50 and it took at least 6 months to find another job. This was prior to the current economic depression, so we were lucky that another job became available. Considering the current economy and your husband's age, his chances of finding something will take time. Employers are not looking to hire people with years of experience, they want younger folks, especially in tech companies.

Another man DH knew was in the same situation. This man was actually told by an interviewer that he'd do better if he'd color his gray hair! Age discrimination is rampant and no one seems to be willing to address it.

Wish I could offer some suggestions, I don't have any. Try not to let this situation affect your marriage.

Honored Contributor

Dave Ramsey was just saying on his radio show today that his company is always looking for people who can do computer graphics. His organization now has over 500 employees. Dave's company is the one that does the Financial Peace classes and I believe they are based in TN.