Esteemed Contributor

I am starting Humira tomorrow. I am scared because I am reading how much it hurts. I do insulin everyday with a pen and have no problem. Does Humira really hurt that bad?

Respected Contributor

I wish you the best, Ccassaday. I genuinely do. I don't think that any pain caused by Humira injections is what you should be worried about, however. Humira is associated with some extraordinarily severe side effects. That is what I would be most concerned about.

Here is an article about just that. Please be on the lookout for any severe adverse effects from this drug as taking Humira will lower your immune system response.

Esteemed Contributor
Believe me I have read all the stuff. Every med has side effects. They send a nurse out for injection training for the first shot. Any have experience with Humira.
Respected Contributor
I have been on Humira for almost a year and I have done well with it. I was on Methotrexate for at least 8 years and was very noncompliant with it because it made me so sick. 2 years ago my dermatologist tried to get me to start Humira and I'm a nurse and know about side effects and I chickened out. I finally dove in and I'm so happy I did because my derm dr told me that the Methotrexate was far more dangerous. I work with small children daily and I did find that especially last winter I would get a little run down quickly, but I do take Vitamin C and D daily to help. The injection does burn but nothing I can't handle. My psoriasis is gone and my self confidence is so much better. I don't regret it at all. HTH if you need anything else let me know!
Esteemed Contributor
Thanks. Where do you give it to yourself at. Stomach or thigh.
Respected Contributor
Ccass, sorry I didn't get back to you as I work 2 jobs. I have mainly given mine in my stomach and just a few times in my legs.
Super Contributor

My daughter took it for about a year and she would usually let it warm up just a little before she injected it. She said it helped. (10 min. maybe)

Frequent Contributor
I've been taking Humira for at least 7years. It's made a huge difference in my quality of life. I take it for RA and Crohn's disease. I let it come to room temp. I inject top of my thigh. I prefer the syringes over the refilled pens. I have more control over the rate the med is injected. If it starts to hurt, I pause, then continue until finished with the dose. The small discomfort is a small price to pay for the benefits it has given me.
Contributor

I've been on Humira for 3+ years. Originally I injected the medication in my thigh and often that hurt a lot even if I waited 10-15 minutes after removing it from the frig. I learned via the information from the Humira drug company that the drug could be injected into the stomach and found quite a few online references to people who said that stomach injections was much easier. My experience makes me agree with that feedback. That said the worst that happens now is that I sometimes have a few seconds of burn as the medication is absorbed. No big deal, especially considering the quality of life improvement it gave me. Hope you experience similar benefits.

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks everyone. You now have me more nervous. The nurse had to cancel the training so it's supposed o be this Friday now.