Contributor

I was on vacation last week and need to head back to work today. Having severe panic/anxiety right now about driving and going back. Do any of you ever deal with this and what do you to get your anxiety in check? Any help is much appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

In my case and I cannot speak about anyone else... my panic attacks were caused by stress.. too much multi tasking, too many things to do at once and think about going wrong. Pressure built, concern built. I was on overload with no relief in my mind.

Without medicine.... I found an outlet. Dancing. Friends. Helping others. Anything to switch gears and take my mind off of high fast moving thoughts.

Perhaps there is something AT WORK for you that is causing anxiety. Got to make a living so no sense in telling you to quit but there has to be something out there that you can look forward to so your mind sees the END OF THE TUNNEL EVERY DAY.

Respected Contributor

If you are looking for drug-free relief, someone here a while back suggested the book "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weeks. I found it extremely helpful and effective. You can read a sample of it on Amazon.

Regular Contributor

LOVE that Claire Weekes' book! My copy was so dog-eared I had to buy the electronic version. I still refer to it when I'm feeling anxious.

I also took up yoga. There's no class nearby so I use DVD's. Tamal Dodge is excellent. His voice alone will calm you.

Everyone has to find what works for them. Good luck to you RickyRocky, and I hope you're feeling better.

Esteemed Contributor

I had panic attacks for years, tried to control them myself but nothing really worked. I finally talked to my doctor about them ( I am anti drugs unless really necessary) and she put me on a low dose of Lexapro, it was a miracle drug for me.

Super Contributor

OP, I send you my best wishes; I know how difficult it can be. I couldn't tell from your post whether your panic had to do with driving, or with going back to resume your worklife, or both. I can empathize whatever the cause, but have direct experience with anxiety over driving. I remember one experience, which in retrospect was a panic attack, over driving...a distance of just 400 miles but I was so incredibly nervous about it I had to struggle to keep up with the minimum speed limit.

Solutions exist and I agree that general stress reduction is a part of it. I've found some help in a book that a friend recommended, titled *The Anxiety Cure,* which is helping. I'm looking into MBSR or Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction Therapy. And I will consider medication if nothing else helps.

Here's a website that might help with some immediate tips. http://www.uncommonhelp.me/articles/overcome-fear-and-anxiety/

Super Contributor

For the past couple of years, I have been very high anxiety and felt agitated most of the time. When it really hit me that it was anxiety/panic was when I was driving home from a vacation with my girlfriends last spring. I am also anti-drug usually but my dr. put me on a low dose of Prozac and it has helped tremendously.

Trusted Contributor
On 8/18/2014 RickyRocky said:

I was on vacation last week and need to head back to work today. Having severe panic/anxiety right now about driving and going back. Do any of you ever deal with this and what do you to get your anxiety in check? Any help is much appreciated.

Ask your MD to prescribe anti-anxiety drugs for temporary relief of your anxiety. Prozac works wonders. Also, do you find it hard to sleep? Insomnia? Sleeping pills may help. Finally, have a glass of wine before you go to bed.
Contributor

Good morning! I loved reading the replies and walked away with some really good suggestions for me because I can relate to everything that everyone is talking about. Over time I have found meditation calms my anxiety down and hypnosis has also helped considerably - just some thoughts. Wish you the best. Would love to know what you try and what helps if you would like to share. Thanks

Trusted Contributor
On 8/18/2014 Great Hair in Dallas said:

Good morning! I loved reading the replies and walked away with some really good suggestions for me because I can relate to everything that everyone is talking about. Over time I have found meditation calms my anxiety down and hypnosis has also helped considerably - just some thoughts. Wish you the best. Would love to know what you try and what helps if you would like to share. Thanks

Praise Jesus! The power of prayer works miracles. May you enjoy good health in your future.