Super Contributor

Type 2 Diabetes question....

First off I have never been on the board before but the beauty board would not like an OT so here I am. I am a Type 2 diabetic on Metformin twice a day. Mostly I feel good and I do not have any problems. I have been under a lot of stress lately and today I felt dizzy and weird so I checked my sugar. I was at 300. Not good. I also had only eaten two hot dogs all day and I knew I needed to eat. What do you eat when your sugar is high? I ended up with a handful of pistachios for protein. I am my mothers care giver and she is 85 and diabetic plus she gives me grief about everything. My son is 20 and knows everything. My BF loves to blow off steam all at my direction and my daughter was at her fathers house all week. Normally my daughter runs interference with my BF and her brother but with her gone it landed in my lap. I am so good at taking care of everyone else but I don't know how to take care of myself. Go figure. Any help appreciated. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Type 2 Diabetes question....

I am sorry to read about all your stress. First , a blood sugar reading of 300 is nothing you can correct yourself by eating. I take Metformin extended release 2 (500 mg)tablets morning and night. I would strongly suggest you make your doctor aware asap about your reading. How long have you had type 2? It may be that you need to be on insulin with this high reading. Is it often high?
Trusted Contributor

I feel sorry for your daughter if you expect her to run interference between your son and BF. I agree with Tissyanne that you need to check with your doctor about a reading of 300. Meanwhile, eat regularly and stay away from hotdogs. Ask about nutrition counseling.
It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Regular Contributor

I supposedly am Type 2 also. They told me after I had valve replacement (2), double by-pass, and a combo defibulator-pace maker installed all together about 3 years ago. So, if they say so, I believe them. I take Metformin twice daily and if I'm a good girl and don't overdo the sweets, my numbers are between about 86 and 100.....rarely over 100 anymore.

A 300, I wouldn't mess around it. I assume you take your readings at least a couple of times a day. Notify your Dr. ASAP and maybe it would be possible to get a higher strength of Metformin? Your stress sure doesn't help matters either, but let's face it, there are things and times when this stuff happens and we just have to work it out.

Have you Googled it? Ask a question of them such as how can I lower my blood sugar more?? Good luck to you!

Not applicable

I don't know about you, but I feel dizzy when I don't drink enough water. What brought my blood sugars down was walking. I walk six days per week. I read somewhere that our muscles use the sugar for fuel. Anyway check with your doctor before you start . My A1C was in the 8 range and now in the mid 6 range. I was also able stop my blood pressure medication...had very bad side effects from lisinopril . My bp has remained stable. I also took care of my mother before she passed..I totally understand your situation.

Honored Contributor

Exercise is dangerous for anyone with a blood sugar reading over 180. It can raise your bs even higher. Call your doctor.
Respected Contributor

Yes, be in touch with your doctor for additional help. You may also need some time with a professional diabetes educator or a class. Join a supportive forum. I highly recommend diabetes daily.com. Friendly, helpful people and good information. I wish you well. Stress doesn't help. Take care of yourself.
Super Contributor

I agree with everyone who says to call your doctor. I know quite a bit about Type 2 - and how it has affected ME, and what works for me. Everyone is going to be a bit different. The thing is, I don't think the time for experimenting (to see what helps you the most) is when your sugar is either very high or very low. Save that for when your numbers are a bit more stable.

Right now, you need to get the numbers down, and your doctor is the best place to go for immediate help. I agree - don't do any strenuous exercise - that can backfire because your body can try to over compensate and dump more sugar into your system. Drink plenty of water, and until you can see your doctor, cut back on the carbs. Remember that bread (like a hot dog bun), pasta, rice and other carbs are the same as sugar in the body. Green or oolong tea help a little also, as does cinnamon. You can try those while you are waiting for your doctor to call you back (hint, hint)

Honored Contributor

You need to see a doctor with a blood sugar reading of 300. Feeling dizzy and weird was a side effect of the high blood sugar, but when your readings are that high, there is also unseen damage to blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, etc.

Please see your doctor and talk with him or her about your medication to see if it is really working for you. I personally prefer insulin over oral medication. My husband has been diabetic for 18 years, and insulin works much better to control his blood sugar than any oral medication he has ever taken. My husband resisted insulin for many years because of a misconception about insulin being only for those in advanced stages of diabetes. What he didn't realize is that the entire time he was resistant to using insulin to control his diabetes, he was letting the disease get more out of control, by causing more damage to his organs and blood vessels. As a result of his poor decision, the neuropathy in his feet and legs got much worse, which has now led to full disability. The current trend is to start patients on insulin much sooner, due to the fact it gives better long term control over the damaging effects of diabetes.

Best wishes to you with this health challenge.

Super Contributor

300 is too high, as you know. Stress can be a factor in blood sugar readings, but only you can change/fix the stressors. I recently had a time when my blood sugar was up (around 180 for me and that is unusual.) I really minimized the amount of carbs and ate just vegetables and lean protein for a couple of days. It came back down within normal range.

I am on metformin also.