Super Contributor

Has anyone had a dermoid cyst on their ovary? I have a small 3 cm benign dermoid cyst that is being monitored. If it starts to get bigger, I'm having it removed so it can be done laproscopically. Have any of you women experienced this? TIA. Reva

Frequent Contributor
I had a dermoid sitting right in my ovary about 20 years ago. Had it removed along with my ovary. Recovery was long but that may have changed in last 20 years! When I had my child by C-section there was so much scar tissue they had to burn their way through to get to my baby! Scars were larger them. My is from one side of stomach to the other. But I am great today of course.
Honored Contributor

I had two of them....one on each ovary many years ago. One was the size of a golf ball and the other the size of a woman's fist. This was many years ago and like TriciatheRealtor said......
it was major surgery back then. I lost a large part of my ovaries (they were both infected) and was told I would not be able to have more children. I was 24 yrs. old with one child at the time. Guess what..... six yrs. later, I delivered a healthy baby boy! He is 38 yrs. old now. I think you are wise to have it removed as soon as possible. If mine had burst it would have been emergency surgery. I had no symptoms till only a month before they found them.

Honored Contributor

Yes my best friend had a huge cyst on her ovary about 25 years ago. Her doctor told her it was the biggest he'd ever seen!

I think she called it a dermoid tooth (?). He told her it was filled with all kinds of junk like hair and baby teeth (ugh!!) and just junk!

She didn't have any symptom that I can remember, it was just noticed in an exam. He told her that her ovary had been overtaken by the cyst for such a long time that she never probably got any use from it. She had two kids after her one ovary was removed.

Valued Contributor

I also had this condition. I was diagnosed in the emergency room after being rushed there by my husband. I had an unbelievable stabbing pain in my abdomen and was violently sick to my stomach. Both symptoms came on very quickly and without warning. I was diagnosed with a very large cyst on my ovary behind my uterus. The doctor decided to watch it for 2 months hoping it would dissipate as they sometimes do. Well one month later I was again in the ER. The cyst had somehow flipped in front of my ovary causing that horrible stabbing pain again. This time I went right into surgery. The cyst as well as my ovary were removed. When the pathology report came back, it was noted that a large benign tumor was in the ovary. I too have a large scar from one side of my belly to the other. But happily we do have 3 wonderful sons!

Honored Contributor
On 8/15/2014 Lucky Charm said:

Yes my best friend had a huge cyst on her ovary about 25 years ago. Her doctor told her it was the biggest he'd ever seen!

I think she called it a dermoid tooth (?). He told her it was filled with all kinds of junk like hair and baby teeth (ugh!!) and just junk!

She didn't have any symptom that I can remember, it was just noticed in an exam. He told her that her ovary had been overtaken by the cyst for such a long time that she never probably got any use from it. She had two kids after her one ovary was removed.

They told me the same thing. They found baby teeth and hair in mine also. I agree (Ugh) It made me feel kind of creepy {#emotions_dlg.blink}!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

There are more than one type of tumor that have body parts in them. The most common is actually a cyst called a dermoid cyst. It is located on the ovary and is a normal egg that is not fertilized but some of the potential cells that would form a baby if fertilized start to multiply. Since there is no fertilization it is a totally nonviable mass of differentiated cells. Another name for this is a teratoma. It would never take on a more human shape due to the lack of fertilization and therefor lack of half of the DNA needed to form anything more that some unrelated abnormally multiplied cells. Here is a site that talks about the other kinds. http://www.ucsfhealth.org/childrens/medi...

Super Contributor

I have one that is about 2 cc in size. My doctor suspected it had been there a very long time. She recommended no surgery because of its size and surgery being a risk. We watched it for change for about 2 years (every 6 months)--it had no change in size. Then I had the ultrasound again about 2 years ago, and she said it was still the same and that just every so often we would look at it since there was no change. It was diagnosed as a dermoid teratoma. Which does creep you out when you read about it.

Super Contributor
I just read something interesting somewhere yesterday about a lady who took an enzyme called Serrapeptase (it has to be taken on an empty stomach daily) and had it dissolve her fibroids. I wonder if it would help you. I take it to reduce the scar tissue build up in my back from surgery, and it seems to be working. I have taken it since April. As a side benefit, my cholesterol has dropped 40 points since I started taking it. I am not one to make much note of a total cholesterol number, but I thought that was pretty significant since I got a lecture from the doc last year about the number, but no lecture this year.
Super Contributor

Yes, in my early 30s I had a dermoid ovarian cyst removed along with my fallopian tube on that side and my appendix, since we were in the neighborhood. It sounds like procedures have become so much more advanced if they can do it through your navel (laparoscopy).

I don't know what if any effects it may have had on my fertility afterwards, I never planned to have children. A dermoid cyst is covered with a thick coating of skin (derma) and I would doubt that something taken orally would have any effect on this kind of cyst. I wish you success with your procedure!