Honored Contributor

Have you ever awakened from a nap and thought it was the next day?

It happened to me yesterday. I even took my morning meds and it was only 7 PM, still Sunday. It was only when I turned on the TV that things didn't look right to me. They were nighttime shows, not morning shows.

I started to realize then that it was getting darker, not lighter. I am not kidding, this lasted for a good half hour.

It's very frightening. If it ever happens again, I should probably see a doctor, not that I think there's anything to be done about it. If my brain is going, nothing's going to stop it.

I talked to one of my daughters about it and she said it has happened to her, but did not last quite as long.

Any thoughts?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever awakened from a nap and thought it was the next day?

Not really a nap but because I don't work, sometimes I have to try to figure out what day it is. Sometimes I feel like I've lost as day!

Super Contributor

I've awakened from an afternoon nap and didn't know what day it was ..... that's why I hate taking a nap in the afternoon, just don't feel right after it.

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 BigOrangeKitty said:

I've awakened from an afternoon nap and didn't know what day it was ..... that's why I hate taking a nap in the afternoon, just don't feel right after it.

I don't take them deliberately because, as you said I don't like how I feel after them. But this was quite different, I actually took my morning meds when I saw it was 7:00 on my clock, I thought it was AM when it was actually 7 PM!

I remember three years ago, the day after my beloved sister died, I woke up the next day and for about a half hour could not remember the names of my grandchildren. That was attributed to grief and stress.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I rarely take naps but something similar has happened to me. Waking up and not knowing what day it was...especially when the sun was up when I fell asleep & it has set or it is getting dark. I would not know if it was night or the next moring. It never lasted more than a minute or two for me. I'd get a feeling of panic not knowing.

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 annabellethecat said:

Not really a nap but because I don't work, sometimes I have to try to figure out what day it is. Sometimes I feel like I've lost as day!

I do that sometimes too, but that doesn't scare me.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I sometimes get disoriented when I wake up from a nap. I rarely nap though...

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 willdob3 said:

I rarely take naps but something similar has happened to me. Waking up and not knowing what day it was...especially when the sun was up when I fell asleep & it has set or it is getting dark. I would not know if it was night or the next moring.

It never lasted more than a minute or two for me. I'd get a feeling of panic not knowing.

That's the part that scares me, how long it lasted. But early morning and early evening do look a lot alike. I'm going to try to avoid naps from now on no matter how tired I feel.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Yes! I have had that unsettling experience twice in recent years. I take a nap and wake up, look at the clock and OMG! I wakeup, it's light and the clock says 7:30. I'm soooo late for work. And then I get mad because hubby didn't wake me up! So, I run around and jump in the shower and get dressed, go out into the living room. Where...hubby is watching tv and I realize that it isn't 7:30am.....it's 7:30pm. I didn't sleep through the night, I slept for 2 hours. Once, when hubby was up in Maine visiting his parents; I forgot what day it was and I actually did go work on a Saturday and I didn't catch on until I walked into the building and the security guard said "working on a Saturday?". There were soooo many clues but I just didn't catch any of them. I didn't know why my alarm didn't go off, I surprised that there were so few cars in the commuter parking lot, surprised that there were so few people on the train. I thought gee whiz, lots of people must be taking Friday off. It was so unsettling that I didn't tell anyone that story, I kept it to myself for years. I didn't even tell my husband.

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 chrystaltree said:

Yes! I have had that unsettling experience twice in recent years. I take a nap and wake up, look at the clock and OMG! I wakeup, it's light and the clock says 7:30. I'm soooo late for work. And then I get mad because hubby didn't wake me up! So, I run around and jump in the shower and get dressed, go out into the living room. Where...hubby is watching tv and I realize that it isn't 7:30am.....it's 7:30pm. I didn't sleep through the night, I slept for 2 hours. Once, when hubby was up in Maine visiting his parents; I forgot what day it was and I actually did go work on a Saturday and I didn't catch on until I walked into the building and the security guard said "working on a Saturday?". There were soooo many clues but I just didn't catch any of them. I didn't know why my alarm didn't go off, I surprised that there were so few cars in the commuter parking lot, surprised that there were so few people on the train. I thought gee whiz, lots of people must be taking Friday off. It was so unsettling that I didn't tell anyone that story, I kept it to myself for years. I didn't even tell my husband.

Very similar to what happened to me, except it lasted even longer for you. My goodness! I think I slept around that same amount of time. I know I was watching swimming and waiting for the last round with Michael Phelps and never saw it, so that's when I must have dozed off. I can't remember what time that was. It must have been a very deep sleep also, because I always dream, and I had no memory of a dream, very unusual for me.

The mysteries of life . . . we'll never know them all!

Formerly Ford1224