Esteemed Contributor

has anyone done the Blood Sugar Solution 10 day detox plan?

I saw part of a program today on PBS by Dr. Mark Hyman about the 10 day detox. of course he didn't divulge many of the actual details but the basic information sounded interesting. I didn't see the entire program but what I did hear sounded like initially removing dairy and grains from the diet and I did hear him say that fruits and vegetables should comprise 70% of your intake.

has anyone here done this? if you have, what results did you see and how do you proceed after the initial 10 days?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

Re: has anyone done the Blood Sugar Solution 10 day detox plan?

Is this for diabetics? I have given up grains, but love my dairy. I eat alot of cheese and yogurt. Whats this detox supposed to do??

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

I don't eat breads, very limited sugar, limited dairy, but do eat cheese...lots of fruits and veggies. I eat protein at each meal, but am not as good with snacks....I lost weight but am stuck at the same approx. weight for a year now. Very frustrating! But at least I am holding my own! Would be interested to know more about this detox plan. Hope someone has more info.
Honored Contributor

My diet is entirely veggies fruits, eggs/egg whites and nuts. No grains, no dairy, no added sugar, no added salt. I selected this regime for myself, and it has been a lifestyle change, not a diet. Before I started, I was prediabetic and prehypertensive. Now, my blood tests and other critical numerical health scores are WNL, and I've lost 85 pounds. Also, I feel like a million bucks. Personally, I might borrow the guy's book from a library, but I wouldn't buy it.
Trusted Contributor

2 years ago my glucose had gone up to 102, which is no big deal, but it was going up every year a bit. Now it is down to 93. All I have done is to eat a lot less sweets, and curb carbs. I am really happy. Now, if only my cholesterol would cooperate.

Super Contributor

Violann, I don't care for a lot of eggs...would other proteins be acceptable? I eat a lot of chicken, little or no beef, and use whey protein in my breakast smoothie. I do need protein or I feel off with only fruits and veggies. I do love to have nuts as well.
Trusted Contributor

addiegal, I eliminated eggs due to allergies and I stick to organic poultry, fish and quinoa, and chia seeds for protein. Yes, quinoa has carbs but it also has a lot of protein.

Super Contributor

I like quinoa...it is one grain I still eat. I don't think I am allergic to eggs but I just don't seem to feel great when I eat them. Not my first choice for protein!
Respected Contributor

On 8/10/2014 violann said: My diet is entirely veggies fruits, eggs/egg whites and nuts. No grains, no dairy, no added sugar, no added salt. I selected this regime for myself, and it has been a lifestyle change, not a diet. Before I started, I was prediabetic and prehypertensive. Now, my blood tests and other critical numerical health scores are WNL, and I've lost 85 pounds. Also, I feel like a million bucks. Personally, I might borrow the guy's book from a library, but I wouldn't buy it.

Very good! I slip a few other items in here and there, but this is my basic way of eating too. I have a friend who talks about these detox plans. Pretty much a bunch of nothing.

Honored Contributor

On 8/10/2014 addiegal said: Violann, I don't care for a lot of eggs...would other proteins be acceptable? I eat a lot of chicken, little or no beef, and use whey protein in my breakast smoothie. I do need protein or I feel off with only fruits and veggies. I do love to have nuts as well.
Hi addiegal! DH eats mostly chicken, sometimes fish or beef, and does very well, as long as the rest of his meals are veggies, fruit and the nuts. I was 257 on a small frame when I started so I had to resort to more stringent measures. The remarkable thing was that once I stopped eating the grains sugar salt and dairy, I really didn't miss it. Wanted to add- quinoa is a highly nutritious food, but if I start to eat it, I absolutely CANNOT stop. Some of us with craving issues have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that for us, "good" foods CAN be "bad" foods.