Honored Contributor

Anyone ever heard of methylation dysfunction?

It's a CFS/FM type of condition that no one can diagnose, no cure, no doctors who give it any credence or just don't know/care about it. It can lead to many autoimmune disorders.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it . . . we've researched it but not sure whether to believe it or not.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever heard of methylation dysfunction?

I had never heard of this and so I googled it and there were no results.

Honored Contributor

There is a page on it on Google:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=methylation+dysfunction

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

On 8/9/2014 Ford1224 said:

Ford, I googled it and found the same link. Not something I'm familiar with, so I'll have to read about it.

Just wanted to let you know Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 8/9/2014 HisElk said:
On 8/9/2014 Ford1224 said:

Ford, I googled it and found the same link. Not something I'm familiar with, so I'll have to read about it.

Just wanted to let you know Smiley Happy

Thanks HisElk. Yes, it is definitely there, but whether it explains what's really going on with Erin is another issue entirely. However, we are looking into it. First we have to find out if it's something the average doctor even knows about, let alone would look into it.

Thanks for the confidence, and I know what you meant.

Formerly Ford1224
Valued Contributor

You're welcome. Off your topic, I've been reading about the use of Super Bio-Curcumin and it's uses for pain relief. My chiro is very into homeopathic and he uses it for himself daily. I've just started it myself (got mine from Life Extension through Amazon).

There are many good reviews on this for many health issues. It might be worth checking into this for yourself and possibly your daughter.

Of course, you know about checking with regard to your other meds and whether it'll be ok to mix with them. Just wanted to offer this suggestion.

Honored Contributor

On 8/9/2014 HisElk said:

You're welcome. Off your topic, I've been reading about the use of Super Bio-Curcumin and it's uses for pain relief. My chiro is very into homeopathic and he uses it for himself daily. I've just started it myself (got mine from Life Extension through Amazon).

There are many good reviews on this for many health issues. It might be worth checking into this for yourself and possibly your daughter.

Of course, you know about checking with regard to your other meds and whether it'll be ok to mix with them. Just wanted to offer this suggestion.

I will do so . . . thanks!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

Ford, not sure what CFS/FM methylation is but I do work in a lab that tests for Prader-Willi syndrome which is a form of methylation. Methylation is very real and there are doctors and PhDs who work with the condition. It is rare but research seems to be heating up in this category of DNA. Disorders.
Super Contributor

Yes Ford, I have it, it is called MTHFR or Methlyenetetrahydrofolate Reductase.

MTHFR is a very common genetic mutation (aka single nucleotide polymorphisms) but what is uncommon is the combination of snps. I am compound heterozygous, one copy of the mutation from one parent, two genes. you may want to look up, MTHFR 677 and 1298, these are the two most common mutations. When there are problems in the methylation pathway a whole pant load of symptoms//diseases can occur. Because you have a mutation though, it does not mean it is expressing (meaning, having symptoms). If you just take methylating vitamins, you take the chance of "breaking" downstream or upstream pathways so as I said, a VERY complex situation. If you find you do have this, it is a must to find a functional medicine doctor. There are only a handful of docs around the country that truly understand genetics.

I have been taking classes in Epigenetics since diagnosed last Fall. I can answer any questions you may have.

Edited to add: 23andMe does genetic testing on hundreds of thousands of snps. Once raw data is received, there are several sites that will download and run the snps and they will give results on methylation pathway, detox, IgG igE IgM, eye mutation (most people with MTHFR have dry eyes) and off the top of my head a bunch of other stuff. Very fascinating, and a great help in understanding your illnesses.

Honored Contributor

On 8/9/2014 FATCATinCT said:

Yes Ford, I have it, it is called MTHFR or Methlyenetrahydrofolate Reductase.

MTHFR is a very common genetic mutation (aka single nucleotide polymorphisms) but what is uncommon is the combination of snps. I am compound heterozygous, one copy of the mutation from one parent, two genes. you may want to look up, MTHFR 677 and 1298, these are the two most common mutations. When there are problems in the methylation pathway a whole pant load of symptoms//diseases can occur. Because you have a mutation though, it does not mean it is expressing (meaning, having symptoms). If you just take methylating vitamins, you take the chance of "breaking" downstream or upstream pathways so as I said, a VERY complex situation. If you find you do have this, it is a must to find a functional medicine doctor. There are only a handful of docs around the country that truly understand genetics.

I have been taking classes in Epigenetics since diagnosed last Fall. I can answer any questions you may have.

Edited to add: 23andMe does genetic testing on hundreds of thousands of snps. Once raw data is received, there are several sites that will download and run the snps and they will give results on methylation pathway, detox, IgG igE IgM, eye mutation (most people with MTHFR have dry eyes) and off the top of my head a bunch of other stuff. Very fascinating, and a great help in understanding your illnesses.

Thank you so much FATCAT. That is a lot of excellent information that I will copy and send to my daughter. I, myself, have a lot of the symptoms (hundreds are listed). I do have very dry eyes which has been attributed to Sjogrens. But that was an off the cuff diagnosis. All of my stuff has been long diagnosed . . . it is my daughter who I am concerned about.

What you said about doctors/genetics couldn't be truer. That's why they avoid and pooh pooh this discussion . . . because they don't know anything about it. God forbid they take the time to look it up, let alone treat it as a possible real disease in someone.

Would you mind advising what methylating vitamins you take?

Thanks again. I will be in touch again, I am sure. Smile

Formerly Ford1224