Honored Contributor

Got my Synvisc One injections yesterday

I I got one in each knee. I'm, lol, but those injections did hurt! Only for a few seconds but I felt like he touched the bone! I gave out a loud yelp each time. A couple of hours later, the pain in my knees was worse than when I came into to doctors office. My left knee which was not my issue hurt worse than the right that was my complaint. The dr did the left knee as well because he could tell that I might have a problem with it soon since I had been favoring it for these last few months and my X-ray shows that it was close to the bone as well. Also my co-pay was going to be the same whether he did one knee or two. By bedtime, I could hardly walk. This morning most of the pain is gone, so I'm hopeful that I will have a good outcome by the time I go back for my follow-up appt. in six weeks. I wrote this to help anyone else that might be considering this procedure. Thanks for reading.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: Got my Synvisc One injections yesterday

What you experienced sounds close to what I went thru as well. I suggest that every day you write down how the knee felt when you got up in the morning, and how it felt as you went about your day, as well as how it felt at the end of the day. This will give you an idea of how long the injection lasted, and will help your doctor in determining whether they are beneficial. Based on my written record, the first shot was the only one that provided any degree of relief, and it was very short lived. My knee had degenerated too far at that point for the shots to be effective.
Respected Contributor

Hope it gets better and better for you. I did not understand in your original post you were going for the one shot. My md refuses to use them because of complaints re pain since the gel is thicker and must be pushed harder to get into knee. Are you using ice? Rest your legs a bit- raise them. Hope this helps. As I said previously I get good results with the 3 shot synvisc. Best of luck to you!
Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 RedTop said: What you experienced sounds close to what I went thru as well. I suggest that every day you write down how the knee felt when you got up in the morning, and how it felt as you went about your day, as well as how it felt at the end of the day. This will give you an idea of how long the injection lasted, and will help your doctor in determining whether they are beneficial. Based on my written record, the first shot was the only one that provided any degree of relief, and it was very short lived. My knee had degenerated too far at that point for the shots to be effective.

Ohhh, Red Top, Im sorry that your final outcome was not good. I'm going to take your suggestion about writing notes about my progress of lack of progress.

As I said above, this morning is much better than last night when I had to practically climb of the stairs to bed because I coukdn't put all of my weight on either knee because the so called good knee was in worse shape (still don't understand) than the bad one. This morning, I've had a chance to walk around to get the kinks out and I'm 50% better.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 IMW said: Hope it gets better and better for you. I did not understand in your original post you were going for the one shot. My md refuses to use them because of complaints re pain since the gel is thicker and must be pushed harder to get into knee. Are you using ice? Rest your legs a bit- raise them. Hope this helps. As I said previously I get good results with the 3 shot synvisc. Best of luck to you!

Initially, I was supposed to get one shot in my right knee. I did 12 rounds of therapy on the right knee. However, when th orthpedic doctor took his own x-rays, he told me that the left was all most to the same deterioration point, and I would eventually have to have knee replacement on both. I, myself had noticed that since I had been trying to trying to keep my weight off of the right (bad) knee, I did feel ever so slight pain in the so called good knee. Anyway, I have mail order pharmacy and when they called me to say that the medication was in, I should get both knees done since later I'd have to pay another co-pay. It made sense to get both done. I just coukdn't understand why I had more pain after the shot in the 'good' knee. I wonder what makes a doctor decide upon one shot verses two. Maybe the one dose injection is stronger. I should have asked but right now, I don't think I could go in for another round.

Respected Contributor

I recently accompanied someone who got the shots, and the doc used a spray on her knee ahead of the injection. The sight of the him injecting almost did me in, but my friend swore she didn't feel pain. Ugh.

Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 momcat said:

I recently accompanied someone who got the shots, and the doc used a spray on her knee ahead of the injection. The sight of the him injecting almost did me in, but my friend swore she didn't feel pain. Ugh.

momcat he used the numbing spray to the point that it hurt a little. It gets colder and colder as you spray...he knew I was nervous cause I told him. He had me lay down (my back gets stiff if I lay flat) so I couldn't see the needle although I asked to sit up as I had seen some do on youtube. I would have turned my head, anyway. I didn't feel it at first but I think he hit the bone or something cause I yelled out, he immediately pulled the need out both times. I wonder if he went in too far. I guess what I'm saying is that it wasn't the insertion that I felt, it was when he touched a hard surface with the needle.

Honored Contributor

I've had many steroid injections into my knees. My PCP and ortho both always gave me a small "pre-injection" to deaden the pain of the big one. While the sensation was not exactly pleasant, it really didn't hurt. I did see one ortho who tried the spray (a smart aleck) and it didn't do a darn thing but deaden the surface of the skin. The injection hurt like heck. I should have kicked him. Eventually injections are not effective and you must bite the bullet and go for surgery.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 kachina624 said: I've had many steroid injections into my knees. My PCP and ortho both always gave me a small "pre-injection" to deaden the pain of the big one. While the sensation was not exactly pleasant, it really didn't hurt. I did see one ortho who tried the spray (a smart aleck) and it didn't do a darn thing but deaden the surface of the skin. The injection hurt like heck. I should have kicked him. Eventually injections are not effective and you must bite the bullet and go for surgery.
Yes, you're right, I probably will have to do the surgery eventually. But I want to wait til June, 2015 after I retire. This is the first time things have been this bad so I think I can cruise til then. Surgery would require recovery time that I can't take right now.
Honored Contributor

My husband had a few rounds of these injections over a few years. They really helped him.