Super Contributor

Well, it's been 13 weeks since I started my new life with a whole foods plant based diet on May 1, 2014. I've lost a total of 26 lbs; which is a healthy 2 lbs a week. I'm recommending everyone look into the works of Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Barnard and Dr. Campbell. Their work and research into plant based eating has really changed my life. Starch, vegetables, fruits and legumes are my forever foods now. My energy is through the roof and I'm feeling better at 53 than I did 20 years ago.

Super Contributor
Congrats on your new vegan lifestyle, Scorpios! Although I am not completely 100% vegan I will not consume beef, pork or lamb. (I guess that leaves chicken and fish - but even those meats are consumed in very small portions). Last evening my DH grilled a steak while I had a beautiful garden salad. To be honest, I thought my salad was much more appetizing - - an indication that I have really turned the corner. The more knowledgable I have become about factory farming, the less I want to be part of the problem. In fact as an animal lover just the thought sickens me. Like you my diet is plant based. I will not even purchase coffee cream any more and choose Silk for my morning coffee. Have you ever tried Ezekiel bread? When I DO want a slice of bread (which is not often) this is the brand that I purchase. Glad that you started this thread. Maybe others will join the discussion and we can share dieting tips and recipes. Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor

I was vegetarian for 20 years; vegan for 2. I loved the veg life but I ended up getting really ill and had no clue why for years. Extreme fatigue, anxiety, depression, tremendous weight gain, joint aches, brain fog. I found out at about your age that I have celiac disease and it destroyed my thyroid. So, I have autoimmune disease as a result. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people with celiac who don't know it until later on in life when what happened to me happens to them. Perimenopause or pregnancy can kick it into gear big time.

I hate eating animals but I had to go to what is called an autoimmune protocol diet. I feel like crud anyway (mostly because I cheat) but it is better than before. :-( Congrats on your feeling awesome because that means you likely do not have celiac (if you are eating ANY grains, not just gluten). People with autoimmune disease should also stay away from dairy, soy, nuts, seeds, nightshades, legumes and a host of other things. It is a real drag and one cannot be veggie successfully on this limiting diet. I wanted to post this to make people aware that if being veg makes them feel like crud, this could be why.

Honored Contributor

Yay! I'm so proud (slowing wiping a tear away!)! You're a true success story!! You need to go to one of the websites (McDougall, Esselstyn, FOK) and post your weight loss journey. The McDougall site is FILLED with success stories & we never tire of hearing about amazing transformations.

There's a Star McDougaller, named Elizabeth TeSelle, that sums it up nicely...and it sounds like you're at that point, as well:

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD.

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations on your life-style change! I agree that plant-based diet is the way to go. I've read Drs. Esselstyn and McDougall and their theories make so much sense. However, for me, the transition is a slow one and still a work in progress. Beef is no problem (that's been gone for a couple years now); but chicken and dairy are another thing. And Esselstyn's theory on absolutely no fat is really really hard to accept. So while I certainly am not vegan, but I'm about 80% vegetarian and working towards 100%.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations. That is great. I started this journey earlier this year. However, I am not sure what I am and dont really put myself in a box. I have not had any meat of any kind, except fish a few times, and know that I dont want to eat it. I dont even think I could at this point. It's a bit of a challenge when going out to eat and that is when I have eaten fish. I havent had any significant weight loss though or energy surges but I do feel better. Partly, that is my fault because after almost 6 months, I still am not as prepared as I should be so I reach for the wrong things, but am determined to get better. I will never adopt the no oil, no this or that approach, too extreme for me. But, different things work for different people. Those doctors/people are great and their message is a good one.

I am trying to ramp up my green smoothies. I get in the habit and then out of it again. I think I need to get the right equipment. I would like to make them a daily thing. I do think they are important. I would of never thought I would be ever speaking about green smoothies. You got to love the different mindsets in life. I am glad to be in this mindset but who would of thunk it.

Congratulations on your weight loss and, more importantly, health. Thank you for this thread. I agree, it would be great to keep this thread going so we can share.

Super Contributor

When I started this journey on May 1, 2014 I was the poster child for the unhealthy. I was overweight, I stopped exercising all together, my joints ached and I had no energy; in general I felt terrible.

Then I switched to a plant based diet and everything changed and I do mean everything. I still have a long way to go until I get to a healthy weight, but because I feel so incredibly good, I have no plans on stopping this life style. I'm even exercising 5-6 days a week for 30 minutes a day; which before never would have happened.

I will continue to share my journey with anyone who cares to read my thread because this way of life has saved my life. Thanks everyone for the kinds words and support!

Esteemed Contributor

I tried so hard and have a Vegan Doctor, but I get very tired and sluggish. I don,t eat beef and no chicken, but love Salmon. Morning is veggies and fruit, and almond milk in my nutrabullit. I love the veggie burgers the Q sells. Never found any anywhere else so good and full of veggies. Dr. McDonald was so popular over 20 years ago here in Northern Cal. He had classes. My children,s Father and Mother were Vegatarians, not vegan and she died of Colon Cancer. He also died of Cancer. Both very strict. She would not wear clothing that a animal was killed to make.

Respected Contributor
On 7/31/2014 qvcaddition said:

I tried so hard and have a Vegan Doctor, but I get very tired and sluggish. I don,t eat beef and no chicken, but love Salmon. Morning is veggies and fruit, and almond milk in my nutrabullit. I love the veggie burgers the Q sells. Never found any anywhere else so good and full of veggies. Dr. McDonald was so popular over 20 years ago here in Northern Cal. He had classes. My children,s Father and Mother were Vegatarians, not vegan and she died of Colon Cancer. He also died of Cancer. Both very strict. She would not wear clothing that a animal was killed to make.

I know when I first started out doing this, I was tired and sluggish, absolutely no energy. But I wasnt getting enough calories. I am not saying you are not, this may not be for everyone, but check your calories. I feel more tired at times but I think its because I am not eating the right stuff, which I have to get better at. I still am struggling a bit to get some footing.

As far as cancer and other conditions, etc. I dont believe this is the cure all for everything or if you follow this type of diet, you wont get anything. I knew someone that was strict strict vegan, exercising and all, and developed an extremely aggressive cancer. I, also, go by my elderly parents who are not vegans or vegetarians and dont eliminate anything from their diets and, besides the common chronic ailments, knock on wood, are healthy. That is why I have drastically changed what I am eating but am not eliminating everything. I am still going to enjoy some things, like feta cheese, oil, etc. My main reason for changing my diet is the animals, not so much my health, although, I will reap any benefits gladly. I, also, think the amount of chemicals/environment people are exposed to are factors, its not just food. There are so many factors that come into play.

I do see this way of eating as beneficial for folks who need to get healthy though. I think this would be a step in the right direction. Even limiting the bad stuff is a good thing. The impact overall would be tremendous.

I didnt mean this to come across as a lecture so, if it does, I am off my soapbox. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm glad it is working for you!

We are all so different; we need to find what works for our own bodies & varied lifestyles. It is always interesting to see what works for different people. Seeing that people get similar results from very different approaches really shows that, as similar as we are, we are still very different in our needs and how our bodies use different nutrients.

Eating the way you do would make me sick (food sensitivities) so I avoid most of the things you eat. Eating unprocessed, non-gmo foods, animal proteins, non-starchy vegetables, and healthy fats has completely changed my life & improved my health. I've lost over 100 lbs eating this way and love eating this way. I'm also gaining LBM and am thrilled about that. I'll eat this way forever. My doctor is very pleased with how my health has improved.