Super Contributor

Costco glasses & hearing aids

What experiences has anyone had with these services? I'm considering the hearing aids in particular but need to wait until we get a Costco store in our town this fall, so have nothing to compare service, quality and price with.

Honored Contributor

Re: Costco glasses & hearing aids

I just had glasses made for the first time last week and I'm please with the whole process. I didn't wait for a coupon though. I forgot that they sometimes run coupons for glasses.

I read a lot of good things about Costco glasses in various places, so I decided to try it. I was surprised and happy with the wide range of frame choices and price ranges. I have single vision lenses, so nothing special. Costco's standard lenses have scratch guard and anti glare, they are not add ons.

I have VSP insurance. So I had one pair made in network and one pair made at Costco and the price ended up being about the same (after insurance discounts, in network, my glasses came to $129. At costco, no insurance, it came to $119).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The thing people kept saying to me was, Costco is good about making it right, so if there's an issue with your glasses, they will make it right.

And I know Costco is good about these things, so I felt it was not a risk to try it. I'm glad I did.

I will be dropping my VSP and just using Costco going forward. No reason to pay a monthly premium if the cost ends up the same in the end.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I've had several pairs made there. One bad experience where the Costco optometrist entered my prescription incorrectly and it wasn't noticed until I got my next pair of glasses - she also did not adjust my glasses properly when I got them, and I ended up at the other store (there are two here in Charlotte) asking them to adjust them.

One Costco store also has a much more extensive selection of eyeglasses than the other. None of them worked for me this time around as I have tri-focals now and the lenses were too narrow - they also had very few frames with the spring loaded hinges - these are a must for me as I take my glasses off/on frequently. I ended up at LensCrafters - very expensive, but more pleased with the eyeglasses and the fit.

If you don't have a complex prescription, Costco is the place to go.

Esteemed Contributor

VaBelle, my company doesn't offer VSP. We are reimbursed for anything eyes up to a certain dollar amount.

Costco eye doctors don't accept insurance. I normally go to My Eye Dr. for convenience and they are horrible. The eye doctor at Costco was thorough and there was no wait. The total for contacts and glasses exams as well as DMV exam and the follow up was less than $100.

I went elsewhere for the contacts and glasses.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I use them and my daughter does. I LIKE THEM.

Honored Contributor

Costco has excellent guarantees on hearing aids. My husband immediately got one wet in the shower and lost one. Both were replaced promptly. Definitely worth checking out.
Honored Contributor

Our family has been getting our eye exams done at Costco and getting our eyeglasses made there for several years.

I have been wearing hearing aids for several years, but never had a hearing test or gotten hearing aids through Costco. I see an audiologist in private practice who has access to the most current technology. I could be wrong, but I think Costco has a certain selection of hearing aids to choose from, and that's it. An audiologist in private practice has access to many more companies, styles, features, etc., IMO I do get my hearing aid batteries at Costco, though. They're a great value.

Trusted Contributor

My daughter got a really cute pair of glasses there. The last time I needed glasses, I couldn't find anything that I liked. I think the quality and prices are excellent, though.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

On 7/30/2014 HonnyBrown said:

VaBelle, my company doesn't offer VSP. We are reimbursed for anything eyes up to a certain dollar amount.

Costco eye doctors don't accept insurance. I normally go to My Eye Dr. for convenience and they are horrible. The eye doctor at Costco was thorough and there was no wait. The total for contacts and glasses exams as well as DMV exam and the follow up was less than $100.

I went elsewhere for the contacts and glasses.

Are you sure? We just checked with the and they take our Superior Vision insurance.