Honored Contributor
Has anybody personally experienced getting this injection in their knee/s? I'm getting this in both knees next week. I've been through PT, so this is the next step. Hopefully, this will give me til next Summer when I can get a scope for knee spurs. The doctor claims it will be painless. Did it help your problem? Thanks.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Re: Synvisc One Knee Injection

I have them done in both knees every six months, and have been doing this for 9 years. They really can provide great relief. There is sometimes pain at injection site, or during the actual shot. Especially if there is fluid in the knee. The last shot of the series is usually more difficult since the area is already filled with the gel and the md has to push. Laying down while getting shot helps me, so does using ice gel packs after the shot, and staying off the legs. I forgot to mention there can be stiffness in leg after shot. No exercise for 24-48 hours. The shots are really great, the discomfort very temporary.
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Hope it brings you some relief. I just had the second of three injections last Friday and it has given me some relief. I had meniscus surgery last August but don't really feel as if it did much. A few months after that I had one series of three injections and had a little relief. This time, however, it seems a bit better. The injection itself was a bit uncomfortable but nothing that I would consider pain. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 IMW said: I have them done in both knees every six months, and have been doing this for 9 years. They really can provide great relief. There is sometimes pain at injection site, or during the actual shot. Especially if there is fluid in the knee. The last shot of the series is usually more difficult since the area is already filled with the gel and the md has to push. Laying down while getting shot helps me, so does using ice gel packs after the shot, and staying off the legs. I forgot to mention there can be stiffness in leg after shot. No exercise for 24-48 hours. The shots are really great, the discomfort very temporary.
Uh-ho...I was afraid you'd say there was pain. I've seen YouTube videos and one man was moaning. I didn't know you could get so many. Glad it helped you. Was it Synvisc One or one of the others? Thanks.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

Yes I have been getting these shots for a few years in the left knee, and will continue to do so. They last a few months, sometimes 7 months and if you need to, you can also supplement in between the synvisc with cortisone shots. It hurts for a second and works, for me, almost immediately and gets better. I recommend them.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Molmagmom said:

Hi,

Hope it brings you some relief. I just had the second of three injections last Friday and it has given me some relief. I had meniscus surgery last August but don't really feel as if it did much. A few months after that I had one series of three injections and had a little relief. This time, however, it seems a bit better. The injection itself was a bit uncomfortable but nothing that I would consider pain. Good luck to you.

I'm such a scared cat, lol. I don't know why some of the Synvisc injections are a series and then there's one injection only. It was either get the injection or a scope. I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the response. Good luck to you.
Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 duclane said:

Yes I have been getting these shots for a few years in the left knee, and will continue to do so. They last a few months, sometimes 7 months and if you need to, you can also supplement in between the synvisc with cortisone shots. It hurts for a second and works, for me, almost immediately and gets better. I recommend them.

I'm hoping for close to a year's relieve but I'll take seven months. That'll take me to about Spring Break when I can get another one.
Valued Contributor

I had them in both knees a few years ago. The shots didn't hurt. Sad to say, though, they didn't help me at all.

I wish you the best. Hope you get some relief.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 MathisFan said:

I had them in both knees a few years ago. The shots didn't hurt. Sad to say, though, they didn't help me at all.

I wish you the best. Hope you get some relief.

Oh, oh, Mathisfan, so sorry to hear that it didn't help you. What did you do for help? Knee replacement?
Valued Contributor

I'm just suffering. I'm too big a chicken to have knee replacement. I know 2 people who've thrown blood clots and died after having it done. I won't risk it.