Honored Contributor

Personal Emergency Alert Devices - which is the best?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a personal health emergency alert device? The only one I'm familiar with is Life Alert. I don't know where to start looking.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: Personal Emergency Alert Devices - which is the best?

Is it for you, or someone else?

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 ennui1 said:

Is it for you, or someone else?

It's for my mom and dad who are 89 and 91 years old, respectively.

When they are home together I can trust that one or the other can call for assistance. Sometimes, though, I have to take one of them to the doctor and leave the other at home. I want one of those devices they can wear so if they fall or have trouble they can call for help.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Any one who calls me will not get my business. I am tired of robo calls. Or perhaps it is just someone or some scam group that imitates the legit companies.

I would go to the Better Business Bureau or check out individual websites to get more information.

Trusted Contributor

Really look closely at the contracts for these, or better yet try to find one that does not tie you into a contract. I know LifeAlert used to (may still) require an annual contract. If the person passes or no longer needs or wants the service you still have to pay for the entire year – there is no getting out of the contract. You may also want to look for one that works beyond the home. If someone wanders away or falls while out for a walk – there are some that have GPS in them and can respond to them if they press the button or even find them if they are lost. I was considering Greatcall http://www.greatcall.com/products/greatcall-splash – the one Adam Walsh advertises. I even called them for more information, but the man I talked to was rude and pushy, not willing to answer my questions, just talked over me with the prepared script. It turned me off, I just thought if this is how they treat you when you are a potential customer, how would they treat a call from someone in need. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day. I pass this information on to you so you can check it out and decide for yourself. If the call had been positive, I would have selected this brand. Currently, I just put it on the back burner in a holding pattern.

Good luck and let us know what you select and why you decided on it – we can learn from each other.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

In a previous thread a while back, someone recommend 5 Star Response over Life Alert because it was a GPS that would work anywhere not just in the home. At the time, the poster wrote it was $14.95 per month.

I copied the info as my mom may be needing one in the future but I haven't called them yet.

www.greatcall.com

They now have a waterproof one available.

Honored Contributor

Thank you. That's the kind of info I needed to get started. I would like the one with the GPS. My dad has a scooter and crosses a street to go to the grocery store. He's legally blind, but it's the only thing he lives for and I feel bad to tell him he can't go. Meanwhile, Mom is in the house alone and that's not good either.

Thanks again for great advice.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I called 5 Star Response and the call was answered as ""Great Call"". The rep was the most congenial and helpful young man I think I have ever spoken to on the phone. He led me through the whole process. Thank you for the information. I always get the best advice on this forum!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Hi, house_cat! I don't have personal experience to relate, but when I saw your thread I remembered a Consumer Reports e-newsletter I saw last week.

They have a new article (July 2014) with in-depth info about what to consider before making a purchase, a specific check-list of criteria, comparisons of a few of the companies, etc.

What to look for in a medical alert system

(link goes to: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/06/what-to-look-for-in-a-medical-alert-system/index.htm?EXT...)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thank you, dooBdoo… I hope I don't find out something bad now that I've ordered it. I'll check the link.

~ house cat ~