Respected Contributor

My new diet has solved many problems but created some new issues

I am working with a dietician who specializes in food sensitivities and she has me one a plan that eliminates several foods from my diet.

Currently I can not eat several of my favorite vegetables or gluten and 2 weeks in and the results are amazing - no more itchy skin, no more dry eyes, knee pain is gone, my sinuses are clear, I sleep better and have more energy then I have had in years.

BUT..... I now crave carbs! Which is so odd as I was never a big carb, pasta or bread eater. Other than noodles in soup, whole grain crackers or cripsy noodles/croutons on a salad I did not eat much bread in a day or a week.

I have to talk with her this week, but it is terrible! I swear I miss my vegetables so much it is driving me to crave 'comfort food'! This is ridiculous, I know I have to keep focusing on all the great results I have but......

Has anyone ever experienced a craving kick back?

Honored Contributor

Re: My new diet has solved many problems but created some new issues

Yes. Not sure what kind of diet you are on but when I had that carb craving about once every 10 days, I ate half a banana and it worked for me.

Respected Contributor

I have been on a no sugar low carb way of eating for years, and recently started having a piece of cake or a doughnut or ice cream here and there, and it sent me into a sugar craving mode like I've never seen before....it's as though the refined sugar is as addictive as a drug to me.
Honored Contributor

OP--what veggies are you leaving off? Poor baby! Carb cravings are a bad bad thing.

Super Contributor

carb cravings is bad no doubt..

Honored Contributor

I don't know what type of diet you are on, but, I think whenever you exclude entire groups of foods from your diet, you will definitely crave them. Even if you never ate much of them before. It's like when I say, don't think about turtles for 15 minutes. Suddenly, turtles are all you can think about. Usually the cravings go away once your mind and your body accept any diet. That's usually after a week or two. You might want to review what you are eating and when you are eating it with your nutritionist. And let her know about the cravings. She might have some ideas, she might be able modify it a bit.

Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Sooner said:

OP--what veggies are you leaving off? Poor baby! Carb cravings are a bad bad thing.

Nightshades.

I think I could go gluten free in a SECOND if I could keep everything else. I love my vegetables, I cheated once in the two weeks and I regretted it. I never thought healthy food could provoke such an inflammatory response.

Valued Contributor

Maybe your cravings are telling you that you are lacking in B - Vitamins? many of which are found in whole grains? 'Just a thought.

'Glad you've had such success so soon! 'Wishing you continued progress!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Azcowgirl said: I have been on a no sugar low carb way of eating for years, and recently started having a piece of cake or a doughnut or ice cream here and there, and it sent me into a sugar craving mode like I've never seen before....it's as though the refined sugar is as addictive as a drug to me.

Been there! I find adjusting to a low carb diet relatively easy. The carb cravings only last for a week or so. But after that, just eating a cookie or couple of sips of regular soda, makes me seriously ill. I get nauseous, I get the shakes. And I don't mind that because there's no cheating when I seriously go low carb.

Frequent Contributor

sounds strange but sugar cravings can be controlled with a piece of cheese!