Respected Contributor

Dobutamine electrocardiogram stress tests

For the elderly who are obese have asthma and copd the results state many dobutamine stress tests unfortunately are inconclusive leaving the physicians to wonder how to proceed with the patient's treatment, relative to heart or lung problems. Accurate results would clearly define if it is a heart problem or not.

As with many medical tests and procedures there is also chance of death during and after tests are completed. Forms must be read about the dangers and signed in the hospital before the test is enacted.

I just read an email from a friend near by who has no relatives close by and was advised to take the test by her brand new cardiologist on her 1st visit (her former physician relocated abroad, but before he departed had told her she would not be a viable candidate for any stress tests since her results with her various medical conditions would prove to be highly inaccurate and it would not be clear if the chest pains were related to heart or lung problems.)

Additionally she was not really told the truth about the dangers or benefits of the dobutamine test, and the forms she would have to read and agree to sign before taking the test in the hospital by her brand new cardiologist who by the way she voiced was matter of fact, very rushed to complete the visit, and dismissed her concerns quickly with the remark that the dobutamine stress test is completely safe.....which according to the medical websites she read from earlier today all state there are many underlying dangers which are attributed to many medical procedures.

She also falls under the category of being elderly, in her 60's, a former smoker, has diabetes, asthma, and copd and is obese due to dizzy spells and mobility issues, and not being able to exercise.

She explained and asked me my opinion and asked I call her back regardless of the time as soon as I read her email.

I replied if it were me I would get a second opinion, and also do my own medical research and weigh all the factors before making a final decision.

She said she was also advised to take an echo electrocardiogram which she has had in the past and wiil consent to again, but she is really fearful of the dobutamine stress test, and after I also did some medical internet research I can understand her reaction.

It is sad when someone ages and is not given all the medical facts by their physicians, and has no one near by to give opinions and help them through rough decisions.

I volunteered to be with her and accompany her if she would like my continued support since I expect to be home for a while now. Again I told her she does need a second opinion from another cardiologist, and then only she can make the final decision.

Anyone with medical expertise regarding this type of dobutamine stress test who cares to comment please do, and thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dobutamine electrocardiogram stress tests

I have never heard of a dobutamine stress test - but I have been retired from nursing for 7 years now. Anyway, if she does not feel she trusts this doctor a second opinion would be a good idea. Are they using dobutamine now instead of Thallium?

Honored Contributor

I also wanted to add that a person in their 60s is far from being elderly.

Super Contributor

I would certainly get a second opinion and it also sounds like she needs to look for another cardiologist.

Most importantly, what I'd like to emphasize is the importance of doing one's own research, not just for procedures but for any medication you are prescribed no matter how innocuous, no matter how much trust you may have in your doctor. It saddens me that more people aren't proactive about this and just rely on the say-so of their doctor. I realize that not every single person is equipped to do research but I think most people are equipped and just don't bother for whatever reason.

Respected Contributor

I do not have a clue happy housewife, and I also have no idea if thallium is still used or not.

I guess it is in the hands of a licensed board certified cardiologist to make the right call......I HOPE!!!

Thanks for your reply and I guess in today's tech age where modern medicine is advancing so fast there is always something new to confuse us, but in the long run I pray our decisions are made in our best interests according to our medical history and current medical conditions.

Respected Contributor

A different opinion...I had this test done at one of the best clinics in the country because I have severe arthritis in my knees and cannot walk on inclines. It is not that scary...there was a dr in the room and I knew exactly what to expect during the procedure. I had excellent results and when I queriedmy cardiologist, he said he findsit more accurate than a regular stress test. Go to the Mayo clinic website and read up on it. A second opinion might be a good idea if your friend is that uneasy.
Honored Contributor

I just googled it and it appears to be similar if not the same as a nuclear stress test, where in stead of walking the treadmill your heart is "stressed" chemically so they can see the reaction.

Special x-rays are taken before and after the injection of the chemical

I have a bad knee and had this test last month, according to my Cardiologist its more conclusive than a tread mill test.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Echoing HHS commen being in ones 60sdoesnot equate elderly. I swim a mile daily, travel extensively and chase after my young grandchildren. Lol
Respected Contributor

I totally agree focksie because my pharmacist delivered to me someone else meds and I called him and he had them picked up and had my correct prescription redelivered to me.

I knew he just lost his wife and I told him I was so sorry, but perhaps he needed time to grieve and get support because working and grieving could cost someone their life if they do not read the prescription bottle before taking someone else's also meds.

He did take time off and I also always check out prescriptions and side effects before filling them to ensure they will not conflict with any of my other meds or cause me any harm which I can avoid.

My friend will get a second opinion.

We must all do our own medical research and police our own bodies, because the life we save may just be our own, or that of a loved one, relative, or friend.

Respected Contributor

Sydsgma many thanks for your very helpful reply, and some people can feel elderly at 40, and young at heart in their 60's.
My friend has had a rough life and is ill so I can safely say she definitely feels elderly, and looks much older than her years.
On 7/27/2014 sydsgma said: Echoing HHS commen being in ones 60sdoesnot equate elderly. I swim a mile daily, travel extensively and chase after my young grandchildren. Lol