Honored Contributor

Tower Pilates...Anyone ever try it?

My friend says it's fantastic for flexibility.

I had never heard of it before....has anyone ever done this?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tower Pilates...Anyone ever try it?

No..not even sure what it is. I use a Pilates Power Gym, and get great results from it.
Occasional Contributor

That is actually Pilates done on a piece of equipment called a tower. It's basically half of a Cadillac, if you know what that is (also a piece of Pilates equipment). I take a Tower Pilates class weekly at a local studio and it's an awesome workout!
Contributor

I agree, its a great piece of equipment. I have a reformer at home, and still take classes to incorporate all of the other pieces. I would suggest starting with mat/reformer classes and then adding the tower as your instructor advises. pilates in general is wonderful for stretch and flexibility.

Honored Contributor

On 7/26/2014 apt901 said:

I agree, its a great piece of equipment. I have a reformer at home, and still take classes to incorporate all of the other pieces. I would suggest starting with mat/reformer classes and then adding the tower as your instructor advises. pilates in general is wonderful for stretch and flexibility.

So the tower is more difficult than the reformer?

The studio offers both classes. I am extremely strong from weightlifting and have good cardio too. My issue is flexibility. I have done Pilates floor work for years.

So which would you recommend, please?

Occasional Contributor

Hi terrier, My feeling as a personal trainer and Pilates enthusiast is that neither piece of equipment is more difficult than the other; it's more about the instructor and the level of difficulty of the class they're teaching. At the studio where I take my class, they offer intermediate and advanced classes on all the equipment. Mat Pilates is actually the most difficult method, but the equipment makes it a fun and challenging way to add to your practice. Pilates is much more about core strengthening than it is about flexibility. I think yoga would be more what you're looking for if you want to increase flexibility. Both are great forms of exercise, though!
Occasional Contributor

I love it, and you can pretty much do most of the reformer exercises on it. You can also add cardio with jumping and squats! Balanced Body also makes the tower on the go which is super cheap and packable for travelling :-) Here is a great article about the tower on the go and other reformer alternatives here HTH

http://queencheap.com/awesome-deals/cheap-pilates-reformer