Regular Contributor

Qstns about B12 Shot (Plz only reply if you've had one)

I've been diagnosed with both CFS & FMS for quite awhile; but truth be told, I've been low on energy for much of my life. I finally thought to have my Vitamin B levels checked by my doctor last week and they were below the lowest number of the acceptable range. So tomorrow I am getting a B12 shot and I'm glad.

My questions are: Will there be any noticeable improvement in my energy level? If so, how long might it take for that to happen?

I know I can ask these questions at the clinic tomorrow, but I'm a little antsy right now! Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: Qstns about B12 Shot (Plz only reply if you've had one)

I hope they help you. They seem to make a big difference for many.

I gave myself a daily B12 shot & also another B shot for a while. They made my labs come back good but they did nothing to improve how I felt. I believe that they did not help me because of other deficiencies that also needed to be corrected but that had not been suspected or tested for.

Regular Contributor

I used to take B12 shots and they did make me feel better for a few days after, usually about three days. I felt it within an hour or so and actually thought about taking them again but my most recent lab work came back saying my levels were well above normal now (go figure) so I won't be doing that! I truly hope they help you feel better too.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately I noticed no difference in my energy after my doctor gave me these Smiley Sad Like you, my vitamin b levels are below normal & I am always tired. I was really hoping that getting these shots on a regular basis would be the answer but they weren't. I hope they work for you though! Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Have any of you had your thyroid levels checked ?

Honored Contributor

On 7/23/2014 NorskyGal said:

I've been diagnosed with both CFS & FMS for quite awhile; but truth be told, I've been low on energy for much of my life. I finally thought to have my Vitamin B levels checked by my doctor last week and they were below the lowest number of the acceptable range. So tomorrow I am getting a B12 shot and I'm glad.

My questions are: Will there be any noticeable improvement in my energy level? If so, how long might it take for that to happen?

I know I can ask these questions at the clinic tomorrow, but I'm a little antsy right now! Smile

Hi NorskyGal,

I started the B-12 regimen several years ago because of my colon bleeding and blood transfusion issues. I also was on Coumadin, which did not help. I went off of Coumadin to try to get my Hemoglobin levels up and it didn't make any difference.

Stayed off of Coumadin, still off of it, and nothing seemed to help my Hemoglobin levels get over the single digits. My Hematologist suggested starting the B-12 regimen. It started with 1 shot a week for 4 weeks. It then went to 1 shot every month. It took several months but my Hemoglobin numbers began to go up. The last check I had it was 15.2mg/dl and that is way good for me since these problems started.

I still have to have my blood tested every 3 months for my Hemoglobin and also for my Iron Ferritin reading. If my ferritin level is below 32 I have to get an Iron Infusion, which is the same procedure as a Blood Transfusion.

Can tell you this is what finally got me feeling that I was once again alive. I can say do not expect anything to happen overnight. Mine took several months to get my levels up to 2 digits, but I was feeling a little better slowly as time went by.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

How many milligrams of B-12 in a shot?

Is there anything else in it?

Super Contributor

I have been on monthly b12 for about 10 years. I became quite ill and was worked up for stomach and colon cancer - both negative. I had mouth sores and lost my sense of taste. I also lost about 30 pounds. My doctor started me out on daily shots for about 3 months and then 2x week; then weekly; then monthly. My levels remain borderline low and so I have to continue for the rest of my life. I also have to take folate because the low b12 levels gave me a macrocytic anemia. What that means is my red blood cells are too large for the capillaries and they become damaged and can't be replaced fast enough.

I did notice a real uptick in my feeling of well being and energy. It never returned to what it was before but it is manageable. HTH.

Super Contributor

The shots did nothing for me at all. However, my husband swears by them. Go figure?!?! Hope they help you feel better.
Super Contributor

I have been on vitamin B injections since 1981 and no, I have never noticed an increase in energy levels. Now, I have always had low estrogen levels as well. Thyroid function and estrogen levels also effect energy as well as as other conditions.