Regular Contributor

My husband has cancer in his stomach (and liver and lymph nodes but this question has to do with the stomach). He will be having a gastric bypass-type surgery in September to remove the tumor. Due to where it is growing and how many layers it has gotten through they will be removing a large portion of his stomach and therefore basically performing gastric bypass. My question is, for those that have had the surgery or had a loved one that has had this surgery, what advice can you offer? We have gone over things with the surgeon and will be meeting with a nutritionist soon but I wanted to hear from people that actually have dealt with this. How is the recovery? What supplements have you found that were good? Is there a particular "shake" that tastes better than others (i.e. Boost, Ensure, etc.)? Anything else constructive would be appreciated. TIA!

Respected Contributor

My DH had a GIST tumor, gastro intestinal stromal tumor about two years ago. It was performed at Huntsman Cancer Center, in SLC. Luckily, it was contained. About one half of his stomach was removed, so it kind of like a bypass surgery. Before that he had a lot of tests done there. hard we don't live there, but DD and SIL were there for us. It was a hard surgery, eighteen days in the hospital, and I had to come home and take care of our cats and dogs.

When he came home, he had lost a lot of weight, still can't gain. I got him Ensure and found it had Vitamin K, and he is on a blood thinner, couldn't take that. I pureed a lot of his foods, got the Michelina's little frozen meals because he couldn't eat much at a time. Fruit cups he liked.

He had and still gets diarrea sometimes. Listen to the nutritionist also look on the internet.

I'm sorry he is having to go through all of this, and my prayers are with you both.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Esteemed Contributor

Mandy, I am so sorry. I will keep you and DH in my prayers.

One of my close friends had gastric bypass a few years ago for weight loss. It was successful, but she was surprised at how much of our lives revolve around food, especially mentally. That was hard for her; we love to eat.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

My dad had more than 1/2 his stomach removed over 10 years ago due to stomach cancer, 91 yes 91 and painfully thin, he seems to eat small meals and loves yogurt, his main stay for lunch most days

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

Mama Mia: I understand how hard the travel to and from the hospital is. We have to travel to Vanderbilt and have pets too. It has not been easy and I worry about how we will manage but God provides a way! My husband can lose some weight and still be okay but not a ton, he's over 6 feet tall. I am hoping that meeting with the nutritionist will prepare us pretty well but I am just getting nervous so I wanted to reach out to anyone that may have been through the same thing. Thank you so much for the prayers!

HonnyBrown: I know exactly what you mean! When something good happens, we go out to dinner to celebrate. If someone passes or gets sick, we cook and take food to their homes. It seems like everything we do revolves around food sometimes! I am not looking forward to this change as my husband is only 48 years old but he is 95 at heart and hates change!! Thank you also for the prayers!

Usedtobeoxox: I was thinking that yogurts and meals kid sized might be what he will wind up eating. I am really worried that he will lose too much weight and struggle to keep it at a healthy number. Thank you for the response!

Respected Contributor
Mandy First of all. Ensure and those shakes don't have enough protein to fit your DH nutritional needs. You need a no sugar or lo sugar/lo carb shake. Your nutritionist can advise you. I liked MetRx chocolate. Really very tasty. He has to stay away from added sugar in anything. That will give him a rush of sugar to the body and he will not feel well at all. In the beginning he will eat applesauce , oatmeal and the shakes. Cottage cheese and yogurt but as time passes he will be able to eat regular meats and vegetables in small amounts. And the amounts will increase in time. The nutritionist will set up a whole routine for you. He will be ok. If you need some tips go to the website ObesityHelp.com. This is a weight loss community that has had various kinds of weight loss surg. But it a wealth of information and if you read the community forums and Q and A you will learn a lot. Good luck. It's not all bad!!! There's no sugar added ice cream!!!!
Regular Contributor
On 7/23/2014 mcall1020 said: Mandy First of all. Ensure and those shakes don't have enough protein to fit your DH nutritional needs. You need a no sugar or lo sugar/lo carb shake. Your nutritionist can advise you. I liked MetRx chocolate. Really very tasty. He has to stay away from added sugar in anything. That will give him a rush of sugar to the body and he will not feel well at all. In the beginning he will eat applesauce , oatmeal and the shakes. Cottage cheese and yogurt but as time passes he will be able to eat regular meats and vegetables in small amounts. And the amounts will increase in time. The nutritionist will set up a whole routine for you. He will be ok. If you need some tips go to the website ObesityHelp.com. This is a weight loss community that has had various kinds of weight loss surg. But it a wealth of information and if you read the community forums and Q and A you will learn a lot. Good luck. It's not all bad!!! There's no sugar added ice cream!!!!

We're used to the no sugar thing since he is a diabetic so that's good at least. Thank you for the website, I will definitely check it out! I appreciate the response very much. Some people on these forums are nice and some are nasty...it is good to hear from the former and not the latter!

Super Contributor
A customer I waited on where I worked said her biggest issue after bypass surgery was terrible gas....smelly awful gas.
Regular Contributor
On 7/23/2014 gazelle77 said: A customer I waited on where I worked said her biggest issue after bypass surgery was terrible gas....smelly awful gas.

Yuck, hadn't heard this one yet...

Super Contributor
On 7/23/2014 Mandy Moo said:
On 7/23/2014 gazelle77 said: A customer I waited on where I worked said her biggest issue after bypass surgery was terrible gas....smelly awful gas.

Yuck, hadn't heard this one yet...

Hopefully with a careful diet this can be avoided? Here is some info....http://www.livestrong.com/article/9550-need-excess-gas-from-gastric/