Respected Contributor

Periodontist follow-up appt - Good results

After a month of aggressively pushing (per Perio instructions) the rubber-tip gum stimulator in the inflamed area and brushing as instructed (horizontally across the gum line with a soft brush), my gums are fine and I do not need to see him again.

I was skeptical that roughly pushing around the gums could actually help them. It did not feel good at first, but I persevered through the discomfort and I guess the gums toughened up. Even when the gums felt sore, the bleeding stopped right away.

So I will continue with my complicated dental routine and hope I don't have any more problems. One thing I learned: brushing and flossing are not enough.

ETA: Perio said mouthwash should be used last and wait 30 minutes before eating or drinking.

Super Contributor

Re: Periodontist follow-up appt - Good results

Good for you! I'm a dental hygienist (that specialized in juvenile perio) and the only tweak I would suggest is to do a circular motion with your soft brush (the Bass Method) almost like a train along the tracks. This cleans the teeth and sweeps things up from the sulcus (the ""moat"" between your teeth and gums). Once you achieve your healthy gums you won't have to be so aggressive with your rubber tip.

You should be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished!

Esteemed Contributor

Have u been using a Sonicare electric toothbrush instead of a manual toothbrush? In the past, dentists used to tell us to buy a FIRM manual toothbrush - which is the worst thing - it removes the enamel from the teeth. I realized that my dentists from the past --- were horrible!!!! These were the days that the dentists actually cleaned the patients teeth (they had no training) - before dental hygenists.

Respected Contributor

F1wild, looking back, I wonder if I misunderstood the perio's brushing instructions. It seemed he was brushing across, but now I'm not so sure. There are some Bass Method videos on Youtube and I can see how that way would be better for the gums. Thanks for telling me about it. I am going to try it. I am also going to ask the dental hygienist to go over it with me at my next cleaning.

Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 kivah said:

Have u been using a Sonicare electric toothbrush instead of a manual toothbrush? In the past, dentists used to tell us to buy a FIRM manual toothbrush - which is the worst thing - it removes the enamel from the teeth.

I was using an Oral-B with soft brush heads but switched to soft manuals instead. One is actually a child's toothbrush. The brush the Perio gave me is a very soft manual. I imagine it would require more skill to do the Bass Method with an electric or sonic toothbrush.