Contributor

Muffin top on over 50 in shape gal!!

Any effective core exercises? or just overall diet and exercise? I am in excellent shape but any and all unwanted bulges go right to the mid section....darn...what do you do?
Honored Contributor

Re: Muffin top on over 50 in shape gal!!

A sound eating program and exercise are your best bets. If you haven't had a Body Composition Test done there is no way to know how much of your body is fat and how much is muscle.

Eating less and exercising more will certainly help one lose weight, but if weight isn't your problem than you have to just keep working at it. There are tons of exercises that claim to do this for that body part and that for the others. Isolating an area certainly will help tone and/or build more muscle or tighten the ones that are there. Does that mean that are will show less circumference when measured? Nope, it may even show being bigger.

When I was training for the 10k and longer road races I wanted to be as light as possible while increasing my leg muscle strength and endurance, along with leg speed. I dropped another 10lbs off an already slim body, but that sure gave me all the ab definition anyone would want. Muscular definition and/or vascularity was never something that interested me much.

My goals were to run and/or skate faster and further and if losing weight helped me accomplish those goals? That is what I did and boy did it work for me. Sure, I got all the "too thin or are you sick questions", and brushed them aside. Most non long distance runners thing if you can see cheekbones a person is too thin, with my wife being one of them.

More time with elevated heart rate and more exercise is about all I can tell you, and if that doesn't work? Consider losing weight even if you are thin already. Best I got for you.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Try strength training with weights. Weights will help tone and use your core muscles. If you don't want to go to a gym, you can buy free weights (dumb bells) and lift at home. I suggest going online and checking out exercises with free weights. Just being thinner won't necessarily get rid of the muffin top. You need to engage those muscles and tone them.

I'm your age and many times it's hormones that cause those body changes. I was laid up for over 2 months after breaking my foot. I put on weight, even though I wasn't eating a lot, in the middle. Most of it was due to not toning that area (I lift weights all the time) and not being able to walk for exercise. We can't fight the hormones, but we can tone our muscles.

Not only will weight training help build your core, but it will also help make your bones stronger so that you may avoid osteoporosis later in life. Weight bearing exercises are excellent for maintaining bones as we age.

Respected Contributor

You can have a nice shape and get muffin top only when putting on certain jeans or pants. I am wearing dresses more and more, because they are more figure flattering for me.(:
Honored Contributor

If you've lost weight, it could be just loose skin. If it's a roll of hard fat, try cutting out all sugar............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Just make sure your jeans are loose enough in the waist to avoid the spillover.

Or try higher waisted jeans - they are coming back in style and if you wear your tops out, the higher waist will "corral" in the muffin top.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/23/2014 terrier3 said:

Just make sure your jeans are loose enough in the waist to avoid the spillover.

Or try higher waisted jeans - they are coming back in style and if you wear your tops out, the higher waist will "corral" in the muffin top.

Now that is a plan ! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

For me, it's a question of the garment. Lower rise pants and skirts work best on me. Higher waist garments just move the issue higher on me.

I am also a fan of having clothing altered. I always need sleeves and hems taken up. I have to buy dresses one size larger to accommodate my proportions at the top and then have the rest of the dress altered to fit (I buy very few dresses as this gets expensive).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 7/23/2014 Desertdi said:

If you've lost weight, it could be just loose skin. If it's a roll of hard fat, try cutting out all sugar............

You actually wind up trading hard fat for lots of soft skin?! What a Deal! I have traded a balloon, Santa stomach for a muffin top! When it's cooler weather I'm willing to wear a skinnytee or some similarly supportive garment, but at this time of year, I'm happier in tops that are a little flowier anyway.
Respected Contributor

Spanx!