Esteemed Contributor

Stenosis and Surgery--Pros and Cons

As I wrote before I has an epideral .Felt better for 2 days. I went back to the pain management doctor today and he recommended surgery for nothing more he could do. Pills don't help.

So I need some input; no one to ask. Did surgery help you and were you or are you better off for it or worse?

Also what exactly was done. He said something about cutting out the bone. He isn't the surgeon.

The doctor said his only advice was surgery or the pain.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stenosis and Surgery--Pros and Cons

I had spinal stenosis and chose the surgery - woke up in the recovery room pain free for the first time in 3 years. The pain has never come back 7 years now.

Respected Contributor

You might want to check out the forums at spine-health.com. Lots of information on procedures and surgery for stenosis as well as other spinal issues. It's a difficult decision to make. Best of luck!
Regular Contributor

I had spinal stenosis in my very lower spinal column. My daughter who works in Boston arranged for me to see a neurologist there and then found a wonderful surgeon who accepted me as a patient and my insurance too. I stayed at my brother's house before to get ready and went there after rehab and had PT in his home. He lives outside of Boston. I had such good care and my pain was gone. Best decision I ever made with the help of a loving family, great doctors, & therapists. Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

Several years ago, I had a consultation with the head of the neurology department at the University of NM Medical School about the severe spinal stenosis in my lower back. He told me surgery might give me relief if I had pain in my legs, otherwise it was futile. I have no leg pain. I would not have surgery unless I was assured it would be successful. I live alone and have no support system so I can't afford to get any worse. I'm okay as long as I sit but can stand only 4-5 minutes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Your pain management doctor is correct - there is nothing he can do. They help people to "manage" and live with pain when there is truly no alternative. So ask for a referral to someone who can - a surgeon. I would recommend getting a couple of opinions, a complete explanation of what is proposed, and also do your own internet research so you are familiar with the language and the procedures. I have had 3 neck surgeries - one laser, and a front and back cervical fusion, I still have pain, but mine is different than yours. Stenosis is basically arthritis, a calcium build up. Sometimes they can go in and "shave it down" (for lack of better terminology) which takes away the pressure on the nerve that is causing the pain. Stay away from Laser Spine Institute - a basic ripoff. You will know when you are ready to try surgery - when the pain you thought was bad becomes truly unbearable! There are no guarantees, but sometimes you have to try! Good luck!
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for answering me. My leg pain is awful. I make my self walk pushing a small grocery cart. I can't sit all day and do nothing. I have a husband but he is not helpful at all. I worry about my 2 cats one is an older one about 18 and another one about 4 who adopted me and is my shadow if I am away from them.

Valued Contributor

I had surgery for stenosis 3 years ago. I suffered with terrible leg pain from pressure on my sciatic nerve for years. Exhausted every form of relief, chiropractor, pain injections, steroids. The surgery unfortunately had to be repeated one month later because of a stress fracture, but I would do it again. Pain free and I am 75. It is awful to experience that kind of pain daily. Good luck. TerryW
Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 halfpint said:

As I wrote before I has an epideral .Felt better for 2 days. I went back to the pain management doctor today and he recommended surgery for nothing more he could do. Pills don't help.

So I need some input; no one to ask. Did surgery help you and were you or are you better off for it or worse?

Also what exactly was done. He said something about cutting out the bone. He isn't the surgeon.The doctor said his only advice was surgery or the pain.

Hi halfpint,

I don't know what type of doctor you are seeing for pain, but my nephew owns 5 Pain Clinics, with 4 being in the United States and 1 in South Korea. He is an anesthesiologist and there is no way he would attempt to explain surgery that needs to be done on a patients back.

Sure, he could tell them there is "nothing more he could do for them", but he would not say ones only option is "the pain or surgery". He can tell his patients what he can and cannot do for them, but no way he would say "surgery or pain" are their only options.

A friend of mine is a Spinal Surgeon that practices at our State Spinal Institute. He has told me many times what a big percentage of his patient that with Stenosis benefit from surgery. Not sure how some doctors do it but he said he does his surgeries microscopically and recovery time is nowhere near the time it took me when I had my ruptured L-5/S-1 open back surgery.

He is the same doctor that removed my ruptured L-3 disc via a needle in my back with a camera on it. I went in with pain and came out 2 hours later with no pain and no recovery. His only admonition was to not overdue lifting or bending for a day or 2.

If I ever develop Stenosis or any more ruptured lumbar discs? He will do what is the best and quickest recovery time for me and if that includes surgery? So be it.

Hope all works out well for you.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I agree that you need a consult with the surgeon who would actually do the procedure. Based on the fact you have constant pain that has not been relieved through conventional pain control methods, and the fact the pain in your legs greatly affects your daily life, I think you need to take a closer look at the procedure that would relieve your suffering and help you get your life back. Best wishes to you!