Esteemed Contributor

My daughters roommate and good friend recently got a new job. She had to have a physical when she got hired, part of the physical was a chest x ray, which unfortunately showed black spots. She had to go to another dr., who did more testing. She has latent tuberculosis. She will have to take medicine for I think 12 weeks. The dr. said it is not contagious, but if they don't treat it, it can end up being contagious. The dr. said you could pretty much get it anywhere, it is caused from breathing in a germ. She had no symptoms, by the way. No coughing, or anything. Is TB coming back?

Super Contributor

If your daughter hasn't had a TB test already, I would hope that she gets one now. Her roommate may not be contagious, but since they're roommates and close friends, they may have both been infected by the same person. I hope that your daughter is fine, and that her friend does well.

Honored Contributor

Due to so many people coming into the country who haven't had shots or TB tests, it would be a good idea for elderly to get tested.

There are a lot of diseases that are showing up that we haven't seen in years. Just try googling some of them.

Super Contributor

I know Melanoma patients who were treated with Interferon years ago became extremely susceptible to TB. One of my BFFs (and fellow Melanoma survivors) was diagnosed with TB and went through the treatment and is fine. She never had symptoms either, but we both worked in a children's dental clinic where the kids/families had everything.

I don't think TB has ever been eradicated. I've always been much more wary of TB than HIV (in the dental setting), as HIV is much easier to kill than TB. When purchasing products for office operatories cleaning/sanitizing counters, chairs, etc. I always looked for products that killed TB, then I knew it would get rid of the less virulent bugs.

Honored Contributor

TB is, and always has been around, far more than we realize. When I was working, I was usually aware of whether the hospital had patients who tested positive for TB, and how many cases of it were reported to the county health department yearly. Even as adults, we should continue to have the simple test to see if we have, or have been exposed, to TB.

Esteemed Contributor

There has been an increase in reported cases of TB since the influx of Asian immigrants in the late 60s and early 70s. Additionally, our HIV patients have been hit hard by TB as well.

The TB bacterium has a waxy coating and so is difficult is eradicate and easy to remain latent in the human body. More effective anti-bacterial agents have been developed to fight this ages old disease.

Honored Contributor

Back in the 60's, during a routine military check-up my late husband's TB test came back that he'd been 'around' someone who had TB.

Back then he was told he didn't have TB but someone he'd been around had it. If I remember right, he took medicine for 1 full year because of this.

I was tested too and my test came back negative.

Super Contributor

i would suggest to have proper test.

Valued Contributor

Wow, I hope that she heals and recuperates well. Smiley Happy

I *think* that this is one of those diseases that is coming back. Since my children were born, I am asked at every visit-still to this day-a series of questions about who has come into contact with them. Of course this is a different population with lower immune defenses on some level, but I've read that it is being more vigilantly screened.

Super Contributor

My nephew's former girlfriend here in SoCAL got TB, and it was active. All of their friends, family, and co-workers had to be tested. No one else had it, although a couple of them showed a positive Mantoux test and had to be checked out further. She was actually brought the medication every day by a nurse from some agency and had to take it in front of her. They said that way they knew people would take it. That went on for at least 6 months.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion