Honored Contributor

Rheumatoid Arthritis in fingers- has anyone heard this?

I ran across an article the other day that said that women who drink a beer every other day suffer less symptoms from rheumatoid arthritis or may delay the onset of rheumatoid arthritis. I've tried it for the last few days, and I think there may be something to it! It's tough for musicians to deal with finger pain.
Honored Contributor

Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis in fingers- has anyone heard this?

Did they say WHY it helped? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I can't stand beer, but I'm definitely curious ....

Super Contributor

If it is the hops in the beer, you can buy hops as a herbal supplement.
Frequent Contributor

RA is an autoimmune disease. I can't imagine that is true
Super Contributor

On 7/14/2014 skincarejunkie said: RA is an autoimmune disease. I can't imagine that is true
Read this on Hops.....http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/hops
Esteemed Contributor

It's very common for RA to strike the hands, feet, knees and ankles. There are many different types of RA and really, it can affect any joint. It can also affect the lungs, kidneys, even the saliva glands. Extreme dry mouth is a common complaint.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I had taken hops, and lots of it, for months as a supplement, with no results. Evidently scientists don't know what's in beer that helps either. Whatever the reason, it seems to be working right now for me.
Honored Contributor

It's also very common to get osteo arthritis in your fingers, knees, elbows which is what I have genetically from my paternal side of the family. Very painful in my hands at times, big knobs both hands in my knuckles. Makes my hands ugly.

Honored Contributor

Not an excuse to drink a beer......unless you can find a lo-cal one (!!!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, this is interesting - Beer is loaded with yeast, and here is an excerpt from something I found on-line about yeast and arthritis. I can steadfastly say that since I seriously cut down my yeast consumption (mainly bread), my arthritis is not nearly as bad. I used to wake up with aching and swelled joints, especially hands, and I don't have that anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An article published by 19 doctors in The Townsend Letter for Doctors in January of '95 states that systemic yeast infections can mimic symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis.

Food allergies caused by yeast have been linked to arthritis by Dr. D. Adamo and others. The foods that you're allergic to cause your body to produce IgE and IgG antibodies. When this happens for years, it gradually wears out the immune system and as a result the allergens in your food are no longer completely removed.

When these allergens do enter the system, they congregate around the joints and clump into the cells, damaging them. The immune system tries to fight them off, but due to being worn out from years of fighting, it is unable to cope. The ensuing inflammation causes further damage and leads to arthritis.

Yeast and other fungi can also deposit mycotoxins into your joints, further damaging them and worsening your arthritis.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1742482