Esteemed Contributor

I recently spoke with a friend who reached 65 years of age. They tell me they are old. It's like snap, they turned old in a day. I said it's merely a number and that they don't need to feel old. They responded that they are now a senior citizen so that makes them old. I don't feel that they are old in heart or spirit and in most ways have more youth in them than much younger individuals - no health problems either. Any advice or statement you can share would help as I will pass it along to them to help them get out of their rut and embrace life.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Stop dwelling on the number!! Get off the sofa, turn off the TV/news (too much negativity) take a walk if you can---take a class in something. Update your wardrobe a bit. Wear makeup and smile. Don 't talk about ailments or problems in the family. Listen to fun music (50's 60's music will get you dancing) say a thank you everyday that you wake up. Join a fun club. Gee I could go on all day. Gotta go now and dance in my living room!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

It's how you feel inside.

Respected Contributor

I don't see a problem with someone saying they are old as based on physical age. What's wrong is thinking just because we are old, we can't act young anymore. I do everything today at 60 that I've done all my life, with the exception of heavy lifting when my arthritis is flaring.

I think the problem here is that somehow, old has become a bad thing and that's just silly.

Honored Contributor

You can't change how people think and you shouldn't even try. Your friends are who they are. Respect that. It's exactly the opposite with my friends. I'm 54 but I tended to have older friends. My bff is 73 and another good friend turns 72 next month. Both women belong to they "you are as young as you feel" club. They are fit, active, happy, youthful. If you looked at them, you would believe that they are in their late early 60's, even late 50's. My friends just never got old. Sure, they years have gone by but they just never stopped being themselves. I work with a few women who are like that too. They never put on that "old lady" cloak. I have great role models when it comes to aging happily, aging well physically and mentally.

Honored Contributor
On 7/14/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I don't see a problem with someone saying they are old as based on physical age. What's wrong is thinking just because we are old, we can't act young anymore. I do everything today at 60 that I've done all my life, with the exception of heavy lifting when my arthritis is flaring.

I think the problem here is that somehow, old has become a bad thing and that's just silly.

Now you made me laugh....out loud.....and people think I've lost it. I don't think many people think of 60 when they discuss age. 60 is middle age, whatever you did at 40, you can still do at 60.

Super Contributor

I'm several years older than your friend. I qualify for senior discounts, am on Medicare and collect Social Security so I guess I could be considered "old." Some days I feel old; most days I don't. When I'm running out the driveway to get the mail, I sometimes mislead myself into believing that I'm decades younger. Age is just a number.

Honored Contributor

I think people fall into the "old" trap because, let's face it, none of us knows how long we have! ... So how can you gauge where you're at on the time line?

Here's another way to look at it ...... Due to medical advances and emphasis on health, more and more are living to be ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD. .... Right now, we have more than 105,000 Americans that are 100 years old, or older.

So, it's not unreasonable to think that yes, your friend could live to be 100 years old ... or older. If they lived to be 100, they now have THIRTY FIVE YEARS left! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

They should think about that for a while .... and ask what they plan to do with their next 35 years ... {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor

tinkrb44- what an excellent post. And , yes, many of us who are in our 60's now will see 100. 35 years is still a long way to go.

What a sad thing that our society so worships youth and disdains the older person.

Respected Contributor
On 7/14/2014 chrystaltree said:
On 7/14/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Now you made me laugh....out loud.....and people think I've lost it. I don't think many people think of 60 when they discuss age. 60 is middle age, whatever you did at 40, you can still do at 60.

I still do what I did at 20, if that matters to you. No matter how you slice it though, 60 is not middle age unless we will be living to be 110-120, and I don't see that in my future! Someone else posted about people living to be 100, and yes, some do, but the majority don't. My family history is long productive lives, with most of the women living into their 90s and being self-sufficient until the last few months. At 60, I'm 2/3 of the way there.