Honored Contributor

I have gone through several periods in my older life where I have had chronic itching, mostly on the trunk of my body. not so much my extremities. I believe it's from my heating pad, which I use a lot. I googled it today and indeed that could be the cause. I will have to sacrifice the relief from pain if it turns out to be the heating pad, which I will stop using for a while. The itching is far more debilitating than the pain.

I applied Gold Bond body lotion this morning and it does provide some relief.

Chronic itching is also a symptom of many other conditions, but I will start with the easiest first before I go running to the doctor.

Anyone else have this problem?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

What is the outside coating on your heating pad? Do you have a barrier between that and your skin?

Honored Contributor
On 7/13/2014 lolakimono said:

What is the outside coating on your heating pad? Do you have a barrier between that and your skin?

It's a Sunbeam 100% polyester, quite thickly padded. It's the one QVC sells. I have always kept it on the lowest heat. The barrier is my nightshirt.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you for that very informative article, lolakimono. I sent it to my desktop as a shortcut so I could refer to it. I know itching can be caused by many things, both minor and serious. Thanks again.

Formerly Ford1224
Regular Contributor

Hey Ford, I've read that some folks have skin rashes & itching associated with their RA. I haven't had any experience with those issues (knock on wood), but I thought I'd mention it. It might be worth a discussion with your RA doctor if you don't find a cause. Good luck in your search for relief!

Honored Contributor
I have itching at different times. I use baby powder, and I take a Benadryl. It is miserable, no rash just intense itching. Long warm showers can dry you out, and cause itching.
Honored Contributor
On 7/13/2014 Abby Grace said:

Hey Ford, I've read that some folks have skin rashes & itching associated with their RA. I haven't had any experience with those issues (knock on wood), but I thought I'd mention it. It might be worth a discussion with your RA doctor if you don't find a cause. Good luck in your search for relief!

I thought about that and wouldn't be surprised, since it causes everything else! I kept it quiet for quite a while today and fell asleep. Now it's back again, and it's so hard not to scratch!

As I've said, I have had it before, and RA symptoms always come and go, so it makes sense. Thanks, Abby Grace . . . have a good evening.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

I have had itching since the weather got warmer in the spring of this year. Many drs visits later, I was dx'd with 5ths disease. The rash I had at first is gone, (for now) but the itching is at times is so intense, I cannot help but scratch. I have a steroid cream to put on it, I am also taking dapsone, which is supposed to help when nothing else does, but my itching is still horrible at times and I am beginning to wonder if I am always gonna have this. I did take prednisone, and that helped, but the itching came back after I quit taking it. My dermatologist wants me to go to a rheumatologist, but I have to be referred, and it will be next week before I am given an appointment for who knows how long.

I truly feel for you, it sounds as if you have had your problem much longer than I have had mine.

Respected Contributor

Eucerin makes a Calming Lotion that was recommended my both my derm and allergist. Gold Bond was discouraged due to some of the ingredients not being beneficial to sensitive itchy skin.