Esteemed Contributor

My morning blood sugars have been inching up..same diet, etc. I realized my Lantus was pass the date for expiration. It says NOT to use it after 28 days..I know its been more. I was never told this. I had just been looking at the expiration date on the box, which is 2015. Had anyone noticed the insulin isn't as effective after 28 days?? Tia!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Call your doctor or pharmacist. Insulin & diabetes is nothing to mess with.

Contributor
Please see the part below that indicates the storage of Lantus and indicates the need to discard 28 days after opening.
Sanofi Diabetes
YOU ARE HERE
Lantus® insulin glargine [rDNA origin] injection
For U.S. Residents Only
<h1>How to Store Lantus®</h1> <h2>In order to use Lantus® safely, it needs to be stored properly.</h2>
Do's
Refrigerate prior to opening

Before opening, store Lantus® in the refrigerator (36°F - 46°F). Keep pens in their outer package.

Storing unopened Lantus®

It can be refrigerated until the expiration date. Once the expiration date has passed, it should be thrown away.

You can store unopened Lantus® at room temperature for up to 28 days. It must be used or discarded within 28 days.

Remove Lantus® from refrigerator prior to injection

Before you inject Lantus®, remove it from the refrigerator for an hour or two—cold insulin can be more painful to inject.

Don'ts
Do not freeze Lantus®

Do not allow Lantus® to freeze. Do not put it in a freezer or next to a freezer pack. If you see frost or ice crystals in your Lantus® solution, throw it away.

Keep Lantus® away from direct heat and light

Do not expose Lantus® to direct heat or light.

<h3>To Find Out Where to Dispose Your Sharps Container:</h3>

Prescription Lantus® is a long-acting insulin used to treat adults with type 2 diabetes and adults and pediatric patients (children 6 years and older) with type 1 diabetes for the control of high blood sugar. It should be taken once a day at the same time each day to lower blood glucose.

Do not use Lantus® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis.

<h3>Important Safety Information for Lantus® (insulin glargine [rDNA origin] injection)</h3>

Do not take Lantus® if you are allergic to insulin or any of the inactive ingredients in Lantus®.

Please click here for additional Important Safety Information.

Please click here for Full Prescribing Information.

<h3>Important Safety Information for
Lantus® (insulin glargine [rDNA origin] injection)</h3>

Do not take Lantus® if you are allergic to insulin or any of the inactive ingredients in Lantus®.

You must test your blood sugar levels while using insulin, such as Lantus®. Do not make any changes to your dose or type of insulin without talking to your healthcare provider. Any change of insulin should be made cautiously and only under medical supervision.

Do NOT dilute or mix Lantus® with any other insulin or solution. It will not work as intended and you may lose blood sugar control, which could be serious. Lantus® must only be used if the solution is clear and colorless with no particles visible. Do not share needles, insulin pens or syringes with others.

Tell your doctor about other medicines, especially ones commonly called TZDs (thiazolidinediones), and supplements you are taking because they can change the way insulin works. Before starting Lantus®, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions including if you have heart failure or other heart problems, liver or kidney problems, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed. If you have heart failure, it may get worse while you take TZDs with Lantus®.

The most common side effect of insulin, including Lantus®, is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which may be serious. Some people may experience symptoms such as shaking, sweating, fast heartbeat, and blurred vision. Severe hypoglycemia may be serious and life threatening. It may cause harm to your heart or brain. Other possible side effects may include swelling, weight gain, injection site reactions, including changes in fat tissue at the injection site, and allergic reactions, including itching and rash. In rare cases, some allergic reactions may be life threatening.

Lantus® SoloSTAR® is a disposable prefilled insulin pen. Please talk to your healthcare provider about proper injection technique and follow instructions in the Instruction Leaflet that accompanies the pen.

Click here for Full Prescribing Information for Lantus®.
Click here for information on Sharps Medical Waste Disposal.
Click here to learn more about Sanofi's commitment to fighting counterfeit drugs.

The health information contained herein is provided for general educational purposes only. Your healthcare professional is the single best source of information regarding your health. Please consult your healthcare professional if you have any questions about your health or treatment.
Lantus® Day by Day Guide
<h5>Get Off to a Strong Start With Day by Day, Week by Week,</h5> <h4>and Month by Month Support</h4>

Lantus® Day by Day Guide

<iframe id="sptLighttagdiv" frameborder="0" width="1" height="1" name="sptLighttagdiv"></iframe>
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, after using the first time, it must be used within a certain time. It slowly loses its effectiveness after that.

Talk to your pharmacy.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

You are welcome emmiesmon. I had to use it for a cat for a number of years. They use human insulin. Made for interesting conversations when I bought it.

Super Contributor
I hope this is the answer to your highter BS readings...with insulin as with many medicines it is so important to maintain full effectiveness. My mother was a diabetic on insulin. I would get a new refill...see if that doesn't help.
Valued Contributor

Hello, I was on Lantus for 10 months. With the vial, which I kept refrigerated continuously, it lost effectiveness after about 15 days. I switched to pens, the pen effectiveness was also 15 days, so one box of pens was good for 75 days, I still ended up tossing quite a bit of insulin either way. I found the pens are more cost effective because you get 5 pens equal to 1500 units vs the 1000 units in the vial. Pens have to be kept at room temperature after you open one. I ended up switching to Levemir because it has a much longer effective life after opening either the vial or the pens. One box of Levemir pens lasts approximately 360 days on a low dose of course. Levemir is somewhat less expensive upfront as well. I also found, for me, Levemir is more effective. Lantus is also NOT the preferred basal insulin Dr. Bernstein recommends because of a study in Germany linking it to cancer. I do tend to take Bernstein's advice seriously. The expiration dates on either the pens or the vials only pertain to unopened vial or pen, once opened, the preservatives degrade as does the insulin itself. Hope that helps. CatLoverDogsToo

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/12/2014 addiegal said: I hope this is the answer to your highter BS readings...with insulin as with many medicines it is so important to maintain full effectiveness. My mother was a diabetic on insulin. I would get a new refill...see if that doesn't help.

I'm hoping this is the reason too. Was extremely ill last night and this morning. Severe nausea and diarrhea..sweating all over. So thankful I didn't work today. My little min pin knew something was wrong, and has been by my side constantly. I have to admit I've been scared. My clinic is closed on the weekends, and no way could I get an appt for some time. I'll just have to tough it out, thanks for your input. I have several refills and threw the last one out! You always help me feel better, you're so sweet Addie!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/12/2014 Cat Lover Dogs too said:

Hello, I was on Lantus for 10 months. With the vial, which I kept refrigerated continuously, it lost effectiveness after about 15 days. I switched to pens, the pen effectiveness was also 15 days, so one box of pens was good for 75 days, I still ended up tossing quite a bit of insulin either way. I found the pens are more cost effective because you get 5 pens equal to 1500 units vs the 1000 units in the vial. Pens have to be kept at room temperature after you open one. I ended up switching to Levemir because it has a much longer effective life after opening either the vial or the pens. One box of Levemir pens lasts approximately 360 days on a low dose of course. Levemir is somewhat less expensive upfront as well. I also found, for me, Levemir is more effective. Lantus is also NOT the preferred basal insulin Dr. Bernstein recommends because of a study in Germany linking it to cancer. I do tend to take Bernstein's advice seriously. The expiration dates on either the pens or the vials only pertain to unopened vial or pen, once opened, the preservatives degrade as does the insulin itself. Hope that helps. CatLoverDogsToo

Thanks so much..I follow Dr. Bernstein too, but I've had good luck with the Lantus. Will talk to my doctor when I see her this fall~ I was using the pens but the vials work better for me. Guess we're all different. I kept my pens in the frig!

-- Mae West