Respected Contributor

I have no idea what's going on the last week or so but there has been some really strange smells coming my way.

I'm in my store at my desk and all of sudden a foul odor comes across. I had absolutely nothing to do with this and no one else was here.

At home late at night by the computer and a smell of perfume not once but twice comes through the room.

Today, sitting again at my computer in the store, I smell something like Ben Gay.

There is absolutely no explanations for any of this....what could be happening? I know I "lost it" years ago but seriously, I cannot explain this.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Respected Contributor

I wonder if it could be ghostly occurrences?

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

When I worked in a plastic melting factory, made telephone wire and cable and plastic palettes had to be melted into insulation for wires. That was done via many 500 degree machines to do so.

I smelled plastic at times everywhere I went, but I knew what was causing it and what the smell was from at the time. Only thing that helped was a steam room regularly as it would open all the pores in my body and it would shock you to see what would form on my face and arms during that time.

Might try a "google search" and see if you can come up with anything.

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor
Interesting!..........Let me know if u figure this out!
Super Contributor

???Call the Ghost Busters.... or that lady that speaks to dead people perhaps?

Super Contributor

It sounds like a neurological based occurrence. If this continues, you should see your doctor. Years ago, I started smelling cherry pipe tobacco in our home. No one that we knew smoked a pipe...no one had been in our home with one. I told my doctor what I was experiencing, and he ordered an EEG. It showed that I was having non convulsive seizures. Once I was treated with medication, the odor disappeared.

Super Contributor
Or olfactory hallucinations...or a sinus infection.....
Trusted Contributor

I imagine most of us have had things like this happen, where we suddenly catch a whiff of a fragrance and don't know where it's coming from. I don't know if you want to entertain the "ghostly occurrence" theory some have mentioned, but I suppose it could be a neurological or mental thing, where your mind and memory are for some reason bringing smells from the past to your consciousness. It might also be less mysterious. The heating or A/C system or a draught through a window is bringing odors from another area or from within the ventwork. Or a person who was wearing perfume was in the room earlier and leaned against your desk or perhaps brushed against your clothes in an elevator or on the bus earlier in the day, and you pick up the fragrance later at your desk.

Interesting phenomenon. You may figure it out with more thought.

Honored Contributor
On 7/8/2014 NanciJ said:

It sounds like a neurological based occurrence. If this continues, you should see your doctor. Years ago, I started smelling cherry pipe tobacco in our home. No one that we knew smoked a pipe...no one had been in our home with one. I told my doctor what I was experiencing, and he ordered an EEG. It showed that I was having non convulsive seizures. Once I was treated with medication, the odor disappeared.

That was my thought, NanciJ. I've know of neurological changes during migraine attacks (even without pain) causing this phenomenon. Also, some medications can create olfactory hallucinations (phantosmia).

Take good care of yourself, nantucket ­shore.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

It has happened to me, the first time after my Mother suddenly passed away. After the funeral, that night I lit a candle, for her, and all of a sudden that room smelled like a garden in full bloom, it was a regular white candle, nothing to do with fragranced candles. The second time was shortly after my daughter in law passed away, all of a sudden a very strong fragrance hit my nose, I recognized her perfume immediately, we were very close, best friends I'd say, I believe it was her way of letting me know, that she knew why I wasn't at her bedside when she passed away, and that we remained best friends.