Contributor

Follow-up: After consulting with several gyns, I had a total hysterectomy (uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes) on July 1. Dr. found several small and a large fibroid tumor in uterus swollen from 75 to 125 grams. She said, "This wasn't a battle we were going to win, so it's better we took out uterus/fibroids."

I spent one night in hospital and now recovering at home with family. Tired, but relieved. Seems like a long road ahead with recovery of 6 weeks. Can you give me a perspective on healing and timeline? What type of symptoms did you have after surgery? I have a lot of soreness. I've been walking around house and eating lightly too.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recovery from Hyterectomy

I know so many women (myself included) who have had it done. I think you will feel so much better (I know I did).

Take care. Take it easy. Don't overdo it. Keep letting us know how you are doing.

Honored Contributor

I was only 37 when I had my hyster for a fibroid tumor connecting the wall of the vag with the uterus. 3 weeks after that my grandfather got married - I had a party for them at my house to get the 2 families together then I danced at the wedding party. No one who knew could believe I was 3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy. It is best after any surgery to be up and about and as active as you can be. Lying around babying yourself will only make you weak and delay recovery. I'm not saying everyone should do as I did - I was, after all , only 37 years old and very strong thanks to years of hard labor as a nurse. But being a baby is the worst thing anyone can do - be as active as you are able.

Honored Contributor

On 7/4/2014 annabellethecat said:

I know so many women (myself included) who have had it done. I think you will feel so much better (I know I did).

Take care. Take it easy. Don't overdo it. Keep letting us know how you are doing.

Bad advice. Be up and dressed every day - be as active as you are able. You will know what your limits are.

Esteemed Contributor

I had that done about 12 yrs. ago, I had 55 staples, literally cut in half. But I spent 5 days in the hospital, I can't believe they sent you home so quick. I was out of work for 10 weeks, had soreness for about 3 weeks, it was hard for me to stand up straight as I would pull on my staples. I believe after 2 weeks, they took out 25 staples and the rest came out about another week later. Just continue moving but don't over do it. Rest when you are tired and lots of luck.

Respected Contributor

Had my hysterectomy 17 years ago...best thing I ever did.....well, that and my recent bunion surgery. A piece of advice I got made good sense. The care you take of yourself over the next six to eight weeks will impact how you heal for the rest of your life. Meaning.....TAKE IT EASY! It was a bit hard for me to follow because after three plus weeks or so I felt pretty darn good. But then I read somewhere, or was told by my doctor, that my insides were still like mince meat. And even though you are allowed to return to exercise and an active life at six to eight weeks, your total healing takes nine months or so. So, do yourself a favor, have some patience. It's only six weeks or so that you have to be really careful. And in the grand scheme of life, that is nothing. Invest in your healing.

Contributor

Hystersisters has a wealth of info and I was very grateful for those that took the time to offer advise. My incision was abdominal. The nurse taught me how to get out of bed which was truly helpful. I stress what others have said to take it easy. You only have one chance to heal correctly. This is the time when you should let others do for you. Even lifting a pitcher of water or a gallon of milk puts strain on you that you can avoid. Let us know how your coming along.
Occasional Contributor

I had this done 2 years ago. abdominal surgery not laparoscopic. uterus, fibroid, cervix removed, ovaries and tubes remained. the surgery was due to the large fibroid attached to uterus. I left ovaries because I wasn't in menopause yet and didn't want to take hormones if they forced me into menopause. I was in the hospital one day and a half then went home. as others said rest as much as you can. I was up and walking and in pain of course but taking it easy. within a day or 2 at home I started to bleed and called the surgeon. he was concerned and didn't know if I might have torn internal stitches or if it was more serious. he made me lay on the couch and do nothing. he even called me every few hours to see how I was. he almost had me go to the ER. the bleeding slowed and then was ok. so I didn't have to go to the ER. Follow your doctor's directions. don't do stairs, lifting etc for at least a week or more. I thought walking around etc was good, but obviously my body thought otherwise. they make you get up and walk after surgery, which is necessary, but don't tell you that you can actually overdue something that simple. take it easy until you go back to the surgeon. Good luck and feel better!

Honored Contributor

Having had so many problems in this area for so many years, I was glad after this was done. I felt so much better in so many ways. I was only 28, so it's been over 30 years ago.

The only thing I regret, although it did make me feel MUCH better, was that I took Premarin for 18 years. As soon as I found out about the horrible animal abuse associated with the manufacturing of these products I quite it, cold turkey. It was kind of rough there for a while, but I am not sorry I quit and would do it again in a New York minute.

It's been so long I can only barely remember the horrible cramps and feeling dirty, during those times of the month, and the other illnesses that came along in my case. I think a box of Tampax was about $1.49 back then. Last I saw it was nearly ten times that. hehe - the things you remember! Smiley Happy

The healing part wasn't too bad. I think they have probably had a lot of progress in the way they do the surgeries now, so it's probably even easier. I was only off work for the week.

I agree to take it easy for a while. That IS good advice. Taking it easy doesn't mean being a vegetable. It means not over-doing it until you have more healing with your incision site and all that. You can't just come home from the hospital and go ballz out.

Honored Contributor

I agree with everyone here who has said to take it easy at first, and I'm sure this is the advice your doctor gave you. That doesn't mean doing nothing, of course. It just means you have to give your body time to heal. I haven't had this surgery, but was considering it a few years ago. The doctor I saw, said I shouldn't lift anything heavier than a phone book for 4 weeks post-op. I couldn't manage that at the time, and did find an alternate solution that worked for me.