Esteemed Contributor

Have anyone here ever had a Colin infection called c diff . I caught it while in the hospital and from being on antibiotics. I had it gone I thought but after a month or longer it seems to be coming back I am going to have to get back on antibiotics for this again. What a 're your experiences and what did you do besides medicine to get rid of it.

Respected Contributor

??? Do you perhaps mean colon?

Regular Contributor

My husband had C-Dif after knee surgery and had to be re-admitted to the hospital. It was very debilitating. Once it cleared up, he had no further problems. However, we do know of a young girl who has ongoing battles with C-Dif and it never seems to clear up.

Respected Contributor

When I was treated for Lyme disease, I was on antibiotics for a few months. The dr. warned me of this and I had to take a powerful probiotic every day. Please be careful with this, see your dr and follow his/her instructions carefully. C-dif should be taken very seriously.

-Kalli

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/4/2014 Kalli said:

When I was treated for Lyme disease, I was on antibiotics for a few months. The dr. warned me of this and I had to take a powerful probiotic every day. Please be careful with this, see your dr and follow his/her instructions carefully. C-dif should be taken very seriously.

-Kalli

Yes I know that. If it seems to be continuing I will call him and get in right away. It's the weekend and a holiday one so no one is open to get a lab test done.

Super Contributor
C-dif is not to be taken lightly...it is very serious and can be stubborn as I understand. Take care and get checked soon.
Contributor
I had C Diff following a round of Cipro. I thought I had a stomach bug that wouldn't go away. After a month and minus 15 lbs I went to the GI doc. I ended up having an emergency colonoscopy which came back positive for c diff plus I had developed colitis. It's very serious. Now I take probiotics and increase them if I have to go on any antibiotic. Good luck. Mine started to come back and I went back on the antibiotic. I was in the meds for colitis for six months.
Valued Contributor
On 7/4/2014 addiegal said: C-dif is not to be taken lightly...it is very serious and can be stubborn as I understand. Take care and get checked soon.

You are right. A relative of mine was close to having to have his entire colon removed due to C-diff. I don't understand why hospitals and doctors don't tell patients of this risk while taking antibiotics -- and recommend the patient take probiotics which help to maintain the "good" bacteria in the colon. Antibiotics destroy the good bacteria of the gut. C-diff occurs when the 'bad' bacteria completely overtakes the 'good' bacteria. It is also spread in hospitals and nursing homes by workers who are not practicing good hygiene.

To the original poster, pls follow up with your doctor. Some cases are C-diff are even resistant to the drugs prescribed for its treatment. There is a new drug available now and it has a good track record, but is quite expensive. But, either way, it is money that is well spend. Good luck! Also, stay away from sugar in your diet as it also feels the 'bad' bacteria, which you do not want. Stay hydrated!!

Super Contributor
On 7/4/2014 sparklestar said:

??? Do you perhaps mean colon?

Maybe she's got a thing for Colin Farrell?

Valued Contributor
On 7/4/2014 addiegal said: C-dif is not to be taken lightly...it is very serious and can be stubborn as I understand. Take care and get checked soon.

You are right. A relative of mine was close to having to have his entire colon removed due to C-diff. I don't understand why hospitals and doctors don't tell patients of this risk while taking antibiotics -- and recommend the patient take probiotics which help to maintain the "good" bacteria in the colon. Antibiotics destroy the good bacteria of the gut. C-diff occurs when the 'bad' bacteria completely overtakes the 'good' bacteria. It is also spread in hospitals and nursing homes by workers who are not practicing good hygiene.

To the original poster, pls follow up with your doctor. Some cases are C-diff are even resistant to the drugs prescribed for its treatment. There is a new drug available now and it has a good track record, but is quite expensive. But, either way, it is money that is well spend. Good luck! Also, stay away from sugar in your diet as it also feels the 'bad' bacteria, which you do not want. Stay hydrated!! Also, trying eating more yogurt and kefir as it helps with strengthening the immune system and contains the 'good' bacteria strains that your body need now.