Honored Contributor

Prescriptions by mail.....How's it working out for you?

I never thought I'd see the day that prescriptions would come through the Post Office which is mandatory by our prescription plan.

I used to think it was a hassle to go to the drugstore to pick up a prescription. May have to wait in line for a while, be told to take a seat or ''go shop and come back in 30 minutes".

Now it's stressful waiting for a three month supply as you get close to running out. Or you're away and know an envelope may be sitting in your mailbox in the heat (or freezing temps).

I only take one pill daily for my thyroid, but have had my prescription get lost in the mail. You have to get your doctor to write out a script for a few days worth until the prescription plan sends a new supply.

I know it's to cut out the middleman (the pharmacist), but some people take lifesaving meds daily and from what I understand some plans don't even insure or 'track' the shipments. You have to wait 30 days to be able to put in a 'claim' that you didn't receive.

Ridiculous!

Super Contributor

Re: Prescriptions by mail.....How's it working out for you?

I don't take any prescriptions, but DH has several. We have Kaiser and he orders on line and gets them in two days usually. Seems very convenient.

Regular Contributor

We were forced into the prescription mail service by out health care provider almost two years ago. Hubs is a several meds and dd21 uses the nuvaring. For some meds it works ok, others, not so much. Dd21's nuvaring must be refrigerated so those are sent overnight with ice packs, but it still may take several days before they are shipped out. There have been a couple instances where hubs meds never showed up. After some follow up on my part we would find there was a glitch with the refill or something else, but no one ever contacted us with the problem or a request for info, the meds just never came. One final thing we've now found is that if a med costs less than our copayment, we will still be charged the whole copayment. Example: hubs was recently started on a once a day diabetes medication. The generic at Walgreens with no insurance is $4.xx, but the online pharmacy still charges us $15.
Trusted Contributor

Lucky Charm, I've been getting my prescriptions by the mail for years. I've been very pleased with the program. Make sure you set it up correctly. Mine can be delivered automatically and when the prescription runs out, they notify your doctor asking for refills. Mine delivers a three-month supply, whereas you would have to go to the drug store only for a monthly supply.

I probably take the same medication as you do for thyroid. One time I lost it and called the company, after I explained what happened, they sent out another order for the same medication and by two-day delivery rather than having to wait for the USPS.

Good luck in the future and I hope no more meds are lost in the mail.

Honored Contributor

Insurance companies do everything they can to cut costs and make more money for their stockholders. Even non-profit companies too!

The consumer is last on their list of priorities.

Super Contributor

I've been using a mail prescription service for year and years. I have auto refill - never have to worry about running out.

One-time meds - I get at the drugstore.

Honored Contributor

We've had several different mail order plans for over 20 years, and have never had an issue. I prefer mail order service compared to the wait time at our local pharmacy. Our 90 day prescriptions are covered through the VA, and come through different suppliers. All of my husbands medications, including insulin, and supplies rarely take more than 2 days to arrive, since they are coming from an in-state location. My medication takes about 5 days, as the prescriptions are processed in Georgia.

Respected Contributor

I would never use one again under any circumstances. One of them almost cost us a major tragedy by being bull headed, claiming they did not get the original scripts when we knew that they did since they were always sent certified mail. Thank goodness a local pharmacy stepped in.

Respected Contributor

Like most everyone else, our family is forced to use the mail order pharmacy because the insurance won't give a 90 day supply at the local pharmacy. They will only give a 30 day supply..doesn't matter if your script says 90 days or not. I am a teacher and the Board of Education recently decided to change our health insurance carrier, which of course, changes the pharmacy too. The mail order we originally had was located one state away from me, so deliveries were fast and they were efficient. The new insurance carrier is awful as is their mail order pharmacy. They are located halfway across the country and the service is horrible. Many times they lose prescriptions, don't mail medication out or make you wait about a month from the time they get the prescription before you receive the medication. Many times you either have to try and get a prescription from the doctor to hold you over because the medication has not arrived in a timely manner, or just go without taking it. I HATE being forced to use the mail order pharmacy!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

We have Kaiser also. If you plan ahead and buy about 2 wks before you run out, it works out great. I sometimes still refill at the pharmacy, but hubby does all his refills that way.