Valued Contributor

Has anyone ever had this surgery

This coming Wednesday I am having cornea scraping on my right eye. I only have side vision in my left eye since I was a little girl. I have been going to the Mayo Clinic for a year in Scottsdale AZ, never knew there were so many tests for the eyes. The doctors are amazing there.The healing time is 4 weeks. The surgeon said the pain, after the surgery, is like a scrapped knee with jeans on. I don't know what that feels like. My cornea was damaged by a doctor back east three years ago. I lost more then half my vision, no eye glasses have worked for me to see well again. My fear is the pain. I goggled and only saw horror stories about the healing pain. The surgeon gave me a prescription for pain, but I hate the feeling of taking pain medication. I only had one surgery in my life and took one pill and stopped them. I live alone and I am concerned about the pain.

This is my first posting and I Thank you very much in advance for any answers that may help me about this surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had this surgery

Why not just go ahead and fill the prescription and have it on hand. That way you can decide if you need it or not as you heal?

Regular Contributor

Ask your dr for topical numbing drops.It will numb the surface.Pain can be easily controlled these days.

Honored Contributor

If you have any tolerance at all to pain, I think you will do fine. I would expect the most pain to be within the first 72+ hours, and then the feeling will likely be more of a discomfort. I firmly believe in taking pain medication and controlling pain from the get go, rather than thinking you can manage without it, and letting the pain get the best of you. Once your pain level reaches an intolerable level, it takes many hours for oral meds to dissolve in your system to bring your pain to a controlled level.

My oldest daughter just had extensive sinus surgery; my SIL and BIL also had the same surgery within the last 2 months, and they made a point of telling her to be sure and take her pain medication as prescribed. Immediately after coming out of recovery, my daughter was in pain, and did ask for medication to relieve it while we waited in the step down unit. Since her surgery was done right before the weekend, I asked the ENT to give her just enough pain medication to get her thru until she saw him again on Monday morning. He prescribed 3 days worth of Tylenol 3's, which were just enough to cover her discomfort; anything else would have been over-medicating in my opinion. She did not need anything at all after the first 3 days, altho the ENT had instructed her to also take ibuprofen.

Since you have never taken pain meds before, I suggest talking with your doctor to make sure you have the right medication to not only address your specific needs, but comfort your mental anxiety about using pain medication. Do not be afraid to take pain medication; your body will utilize it for comfort measures after the surgery, and your body will also let you know when you no longer need that medication. Best wishes to you with this procedure and recovery!

Honored Contributor

Can you get a pill cutter? Maybe just take 1/4 of one if you can't handle a whole one. Hate the thought of not having some pain med's if you end up really needing them. Pain can keep you awake at night and if you can keep your eye closed at night, maybe it'll heal better. Just a thought.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the great suggestions and well wishes! I have never posted a question on here and I am so glad it did. I will fill the prescription and get a pill cutter, and RELAX about it. It will be wonderful to see well again...

Thank you Thank you...

Honored Contributor

I think the jeans analogy is talking about feeling like something is "catching" on a scab, or like putting clothing on that rubs against a sunburn. There is a feeling of noticeable discomfort.

My advice is to do this:

Since you live alone, ask the doctor if you can come in to the office and pick up the script early, so that you can get it filled BEFORE the surgery. They won't be able to phone/email in a narcotic to a pharmacy.

Ask your doctor if it's o.k. to take ibuprofen. You can take 4 ibuprofen (OTC) that equals the same as the prescription dose. That way, if you find that the pain medicine makes you ill or queasy, you still have something that will control the pain without dependency issues.

Valued Contributor

On 6/29/2014 lolakimono said:

I think the jeans analogy is talking about feeling like something is "catching" on a scab, or like putting clothing on that rubs against a sunburn. There is a feeling of noticeable discomfort.

My advice is to do this:

Since you live alone, ask the doctor if you can come in to the office and pick up the script early, so that you can get it filled BEFORE the surgery. They won't be able to phone/email in a narcotic to a pharmacy.

Ask your doctor if it's o.k. to take ibuprofen. You can take 4 ibuprofen (OTC) that equals the same as the prescription dose. That way, if you find that the pain medicine makes you ill or queasy, you still have something that will control the pain without dependency issues.

The prescription is ready for me to pick up. I do take Advil for pain, I am blessed that I do not have any health issues. I told the surgeon I just want to take Advil, she said ok and a lot of meditation...I have great friends to help me too. Thank you for the "jean analogy" that I understand... Thank you Thank you...

Respected Contributor

Good luck to you. Please remember to take your pain meds with food to protect your stomach, unless you are directed differently.

Valued Contributor

On 6/29/2014 bigsister said:

Good luck to you. Please remember to take your pain meds with food to protect your stomach, unless you are directed differently.

Thank you...Your QVC name is perfect, I just lost my sister last month to cancer. That's what she would have said.

Thank you from my heart!