Valued Contributor

Will you please share your thoughts on kettlebells? What brand or set do you recommend? It seems like there are a few different ones.

I have never tried it before.

Is it helpful for your back?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Kettle bell recommendations

OMG - I'm almost sorry to post your thread because I can't answer your questions! But I just had to come on here to comment about the latest Men's Heath magazine. Tim Mcgraw is featured, and there is an amazing photo of him working out with a kettle bell. (I had actually never heard of them before this.) That man looks good doing those kettle bell presses, for sure!!!

LOL - I hope you get some responses that might actually help you out here!

Honored Contributor

I found that the kettleballs caused me neck and shoulder issues and had to stop using them and if I didn't do the moves exactly right, my back would hurt.

Honored Contributor

I us them at the gym. They are all basically the same...I don't think one type is better than another.

Just make sure you start out slow and follow the tape.

I would practice doing a lot of squats w/o the weights. In fact, if you don't work out much now, I would do squats for a few weeks, make sure you put your weight on your heels.

Many kettlebell exercises are squats with weights. Don't use heavy (20-25 lbs) weights until you know what you are doing.

It's a great, very aerobic exercise when done correctly. You'll be working your legs, your core (which will make your back stronger) and your arms...everything!

Honored Contributor

Not really a squat in the traditional sense, but a hip hinge. No way you could get the explosive hip thrust when you're in a squat position.

One thing you might look for...make sure the handle is evenly smooth....a cheaper KB might have a smallish bump on the handle....and you wouldn't know it was there until 5-10 minutes into your routine....when your hand is killing you or even piercing the skin. That little bump could spell big trouble...just something to consider.

Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 sidsmom said:

Not really a squat in he traditional sense, but a hip hinge. No way you could get the explosive hip thrust when you're in a squat position.

I said that PRACTICING doing squats will help her prepare for kettlebells.

If you have a bad back and don't exercise, I think you need to work up to kettlebells.

Just my personal experience after 3 years with a great, serious trainer.

Honored Contributor

I guess I learn the right way from the beginning...hard to break a bad 'squatting' habit....see it everywhere. The only way to Kettlebells is to do Kettlebells. Right from the beginning.

Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 sidsmom said:

I guess I learn the right way from the beginning...hard to break a bad 'squatting' habit....see it everywhere. The only way to Kettlebells is to do Kettlebells. Right from the beginning.

I didn't say to squat WITH the kettlebells...but she should try doing squats first. If her back hurts and her legs ache doing air squats, she will never be able to do kettlebell swings w/o hurting herself IMO. In order to get the most from kettlebells, I think you need a certain degree of strength to begin with.

I now do American swings, Russian for warm-ups, but it took a long time to be able to do overhead (which is why I just basically do what the trainer tells me to - he knows when I am ready to progress).

But why bother - you win!

Valued Contributor

Wow, thank you ALL for the really helpful responses!!

Colonel Meow: I couldn't believe he was doing kettlebells. I saw that in the magazine too!

Pook: Good to know!

Sidsmom and Terrier3: I totally get the points that each of you are making. Thank you for the tips/insights.

I appreciate ALL of your responses. Thanks again!!

Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Julie23 said:

Wow, thank you ALL for the really helpful responses!!

Colonel Meow: I couldn't believe he was doing kettlebells. I saw that in the magazine too!

Pook: Good to know!

Sidsmom and Terrier3: I totally get the points that each of you are making. Thank you for the tips/insights.

I appreciate ALL of your responses. Thanks again!!

Julie - I'm no expert, but that's why I pay a guy twice a week. He knows what I need to do better than I do!

Glad we could help.

Good luck and have fun...it's a great way to work up a sweat!