Respected Contributor

Lost My Crown Eating a Cherry Sour Ball - My Dentist is Booked

I can't believe my crown came off eating these things. I heard a crunch and thought the candy was old and put it back in the bag. It was the last piece and I can't believe I put it back in the bag. I didn't realize until later that my crown came off in the candy. My dentist is booked until next Monday (my birthday) and I don't have dental insurance anymore.
I think the crown is still in one piece but he might tell me the rest of my tooth is decayed.

Remember those sunburst chewy square candies, I was always losing my crowns over those things years ago.

I don't know whether to find a new dentist or wait this out. It doesn't hurt because I think I did a root canal on it but the whole thing is 40 years old. I have a feeling he will tell me I need a new crown, a 1000.00 plus these days. I am wondering whether it might be cheaper to have the tooth pulled? It's the very back bottom tooth that doesn't show.

I also eat on that side and it is kind of rubbing against my gums a little. What to do! I hate dentist and hadn't planned on spending big bucks right now. I tried a new dentist another time for a bridge and he just about killed me so I don't want to go back to him.

Anyone have an old crown put back on or a tooth pulled that had a root canal done to it?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Lost My Crown Eating a Cherry Sour Ball - My Dentist is Booked

I've had a bridge re-cemented & a crown on a front tooth re-cemented. The cost was minimal & I was at the dentist's office for less than 30 minutes once I was seen.

Super Contributor

I lost a crown on jellied orange slices! We need to stop eating candy!

Super Contributor

Where is the crown? Did you toss it with the candy?

As long as it doesn't hurt, I would wait for your appointment. I think you can put your crown on over the peg with a little bit of chewing gum, but you said it doesn't hurt so ...

When I had a loose crown, the dentist simply reset it.

Honored Contributor

Fixing a Loose Crown or Filling without a Dentist

Many patients who have dental crowns or caps can appreciate the experience of having a nice crown pop off or fall off unexpectedly. Sticky candies and jelly beans in particular can pull off nearly any crown, regardless of how well it was cemented. A changing bite can also cause a cap to become dislodged and eventually fall off.

When this event occurs during late evening hours or, worse yet, during the weekend or during the holidays when a dentist isn't available it can become quite frustrating.

Leaving it off could damage the underlying structure and perhaps be painful. For those who are more daring and replace it "as is".... there is a slight danger of it falling off again and becoming swallowed.

Avoid Potential Toxins

Some patients are tempted (and some simply do) to use Super Glue type adhesives. The risk of introducing toxins directly into the oral cavity and onto the exposed tooth structure is something to be avoided.

Emergency Treatment Resources

Major drug store chains such as Walgreens and CVS carry some temporary adhesive products specifically made for the "do it yourself" crown re-attachment. Some of the products can be used to repair a bad filling.

All of the featured products below can be purchased for about $6.00 or less.

This kit can be found in Walgreens and CVS drug stores.

Recapit Dental Repair for Loose Caps:

Manufacturer Product Description: A unique, no mix cement made especially for replacing loose caps and crowns. Safe and so effective "you can eat on it"®.

crown cap glue

Dentist recommended

Eugenol free

No mixing, no waste

Maximum hold

Instant pain relief

Resealable

Clinically tested and guaranteed

8+ repairs

Another commonly available kit that can also be used to temporarily replace a failed filling.

Dentemp O.S. Maximum Strength Filling & Cap Repair:

Manufacturer Product Description: Provides fast relief of pain and discomfort until you can see your dentist. It is pleasant tasting, safe and so effective "you can eat on it".

No mixing, no waste

Recommended by dentists

Clinically tested

Dual-use: repairs both lost fillings & loose caps

8+ repairs

Another commonly available kit that can also be used to temporarily replace a failed filling.

DenTek Temparin Max Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair Maximum Hold:

Manufacturer Product Description: Designed to repair with the same ingredients dentists use. This is a temporary remedy meant to replace a lost filling, cap, crown or inlay until you have a chance to visit your dentist and should only be removed by a dental professional.

Fast drying no mix

Maximum strength complete repair

Instant pain relief

Safe to eat on

Clinically proven

Long applicator easily reaches back teeth

10+ repairs

A crown repair kit sold under the CVS brand available only in CVS drug stores.

CVS/pharmacy Temporary Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair:

Product Description: Designed to repair lost fillings with the same ingredients dentists use. This is a temporary remedy meant to replace a lost filling or inlay until you have a chance to visit your dentist and should only be removed by a dental professional..

Applicator easily reaches back teeth. CVS pharmacist recommended.

Fast drying no mix

Dentist strength

Relieves pain instantly

Safe to eat on

CVS pharmacist recommended

Applicator easily reaches back teeth

8+ repairs

Super Contributor

in this situation I would just go to a dentist who could get me in quick. You do not want to stress out the tooth more or you could end up with a root canal.....$$$$$$

Respected Contributor

My crown just fell off with sticky candy & my dentist is on vacation until 7/3.

I'm waiting until she's back to go in and get it re-cemented. U R not going to 'stress' out your tooth/mouth waiting a couple of weeks. If you recall, you had to wait, or I did, 2 weeks to get the crown made.

Approx cost/estimate: $250

Contributor

I've had a crown re-cemented a couple of times. I try not to chew with it now so it will stay in - it's toward the front of my mouth so a little easier to avoid while chewing. I found the Dentemp O.S. in my grocery store for about $1.99 and purchased it to have on hand and when I go on vacation. I haven't had to use it yet, but it seems a fairly easy temporary fix.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my dentist extracted my lower back molar (the furthest one back) due to the fact that multiple procedures had been performed on it over the years and the tooth showed severe decay in the x-ray. At first he mentioned other alternatives rather than pulling it out. I asked questions and his personnel checked with him... because it is a back molar he said that there was not a downside to just leaving it "blank!"

The extraction was inexpensive for me with dental insurance -- a much cheaper alternative than other "fixes." The oral surgeon (who is doing an implant for another tooth) said that at any time, if I would choose it, he can implant a new molar.

Leaving a tooth partially open after losing a crown caused mine to decay further, cracking it off and then needing an implant. The tooth never really hurt, although it was sensitive. This would be my "unlucky" #13 tooth, which is a canine tooth closer to the front. Good luck with your teeth!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 ennui1 said:

Where is the crown? Did you toss it with the candy?

As long as it doesn't hurt, I would wait for your appointment. I think you can put your crown on over the peg with a little bit of chewing gum, but you said it doesn't hurt so ...

When I had a loose crown, the dentist simply reset it.

It was the last piece I bit into and thought the candy was old. I'm not sure what made me keep that piece of candy. The crown is still stuck in the candy and I was afraid to clean it thinking I might drop it down the drain. I just hope it isn't cracked but it is so old. The outside of the tooth is rough with the crown gone and I grind my teeth at night. I hope I can wait a week. They are going to want to do x-rays and re-cementing the tooth is between 100 to 200. If the tooth itself has decayed he may say the crown won't fit anymore. I never know whether to believe them or not.

I don't know if it's just me but I only like eating on one side of my mouth. That side.