Honored Contributor

Update on my post re dental visit/plans . . . surprising outcome!

I googled "Senior Dental Plans." I got to a site called "1Dental." That site included a plan that is HALF the price on all procedures (or more than half), bringing my total to $5,600, more than half the amount of the dentist's quote (which was almost $12,000, even though I approximated it at $10,000 because he wasn't sure if all the root canals would be necessary). I am saving over $6,000. And the cost of this plan? $95 first year, $75 for subsequent years.

I pulled up the list of participating dentists and the very same dentist who saw me yesterday was on the list under this plan!! I immediately called their office and spoke to the same woman who discussed the financial cost and payment plans with me yesterday. I asked her if this dentist was also using this plan and if so, why did he not offer me the cheaper prices? She seemed very shocked and said if this is the plan I want, they would completely recalculate the prices and send me a new quote. She said she thought I wanted to have a monthly payment plan and that's why the plan they offered was different. We didn't discuss different plans, and I reminded her of that. I had no idea this much cheaper plan was available. So a completely different price list if you want to make monthly payments (at 15% per month APR)? I don't think she knew what to say! I am not sure I will use this dentist even though he already did a whole set of xrays and I don't want that done again so soon.

There are also other dentists in this area who subscribe to this plan. I can choose any one of them. I will make more calls tomorrow. I spent the whole afternoon on this.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Re: Update on my post re dental visit/plans . . . surprising outcome!

Can you go to a different dentist and ask the first dentist to forward the x-rays?

I just moved to another state and when I let my original dentist know I was moving (which was why I wouldn't be making an appointment for cleaning that was due), the receptionist said, "Be sure and give our details to your new dentist, so we can send your x-rays and records".

Doctors never seem to do that, but vets and dentists do. I don't know why there's a difference.

Honored Contributor

On 6/11/2014 Clover29 said:

Can you go to a different dentist and ask the first dentist to forward the x-rays?

I just moved to another state and when I let my original dentist know I was moving (which was why I wouldn't be making an appointment for cleaning that was due), the receptionist said, "Be sure and give our details to your new dentist, so we can send your x-rays and records".

Doctors never seem to do that, but vets and dentists do. I don't know why there's a difference.

If I choose another dentist, he might not be willing to forward my xrays. The first visit and assessment was free of charge, so I did not pay for the xrays. Maybe he will ask me to pay for them if I choose another dentist. We'll see. I have more work to do tomorrow.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

On 6/11/2014 Clover29 said:

Because dental records are used as fingerprints. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I was told of dental magazines that will run ads to identify John Doe's. "Do you recognize this mouth?", contact this police department. Etc.

No clue why vets do it. Something legal, probably, like vaccinations and dog bites.

Valued Contributor

Hope this works out well for you. I have Dental insurance through my husband's company but when he retires that will be gone. It's good to know there are plans out there for later on, should I need work done.

Maria

Respected Contributor

Ford1224, I admire you for your perseverance!

I also thank you for sharing this information on the forum. Many people do not even know these types of plan exist. (I surely didn't). I hope this plan works for you and hope you report back.

I shared it with my husband. I need a 3 unit bridge replacement and DH's treatment plan is much more extensive. While we have minimal dental insurance, we are looking at a sizable bill. I just poked around the site and saw our dentist is on the list for two of the plans.

Thank you again.

Contributor

Thank You so much for the information!

Esteemed Contributor

I have difficulty believing a dental plan only costs $95/yr for the 1st year and then $75/yr. When they list prices of different procedures, does that mean the participating dentist can't charge more than that amount? Have u googled this dental plan and checked reviews? Are there top dentists listed on this plan? 20 yrs ago, I worked for MIDA Dental Plan in Los Angeles, and most of the dentists listed on their plan were BAD!!!!! Dentists who participate in dental plans (for individuals) usually do so as they don't have enough business - and depend on the dental plan. When companies offer dental plans, you'll find good dentists - as many people in the company participate.

I'm retired and have SCAN medical insurance. 3 yrs ago, they started offering Delta Dental - around $15/month - so I joined. I went to one of the dentists on the plan close to my house --- and it was the WORST experience --- they ripped me off. I also realized that SCAN's list of dentists was very limited -- and the good dentists were not on there. Now - I don't have any insurance, but found a GREAT dental office 10 minutes from my home - they're prices are very fair - and they give me a 5% senior discount. Most dentists also give discounts when u don't have insurance. I recommend u actually visiting several dental offices in ur area -- and speak to someone about prices for various treatments, etc. - with and without insurance. Their prices are all over the map. I also found that BAD dentists charge more.

You can also call the American Dental Assoc. and get references for dentists.

Respected Contributor

One more thing for you to check out. Some insurance plans won't pay out until you have been on their plan for a year, depending on the procedures. That means you will give them $1140 before they start paying a portion of your dental bills. If they don't pay the full amount of the bill, you will be paying the balance plus your monthly premium.

Honored Contributor

On 6/11/2014 Scooby Doo said:

One more thing for you to check out. Some insurance plans won't pay out until you have been on their plan for a year, depending on the procedures. That means you will give them $1140 before they start paying a portion of your dental bills. If they don't pay the full amount of the bill, you will be paying the balance plus your monthly premium.

There is no monthly premium. It's $95 a year the first year, and $75 a year for subsequent years. The dentists pay them for the referrals and to be on their lists. As I stated, it's not a scam because the dentist I went to is already changing the cost schedule to conform with the prices on this plan. I don't like what he did by not offering me this much lower cost plan in the first place, but if it was a scam, they wouldn't be issuing a new cost schedule to me. All the procedures are coded and the same throughout the industry. As I went through the codes, the rep gave me the prices according to the discounted plan.

I don't know where you got the $1140. I will be paying the cost at the end of each cycle of treatment, the plan doesn't pay it . . . they just require the dentists to charge the much lower prices. They are not an "insurance company."

Formerly Ford1224